Dumbest cop on the planet

This is a discussion on Dumbest cop on the planet within the Basic Gun Handling & Safety forums, part of the General Firearm Discussion category; Typical for a moron to do. Blame the gun regardless of the fact that he left it within the reach of a 3 year old....

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree52Likes

Thread: Dumbest cop on the planet

Typical for a moron to do. Blame the gun regardless of the fact that he left it within the reach of a 3 year old.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    Did the Judge make an incorrect ruling on the law?
    IANAL but...allowing the lawsuit to proceed seems pretty idiotic to me, especially since a lower court had already denied it.

If the basis for suing Glock is that the the officer's pistol did not come equipped with a grip safety, well, it's pretty clear to me that Glock never offered or implied that it sells such a thing. There is no fault on the part of the manufacturer; the suit does not appear to be claiming that the pistol was defective, rather merely that it lacked a certain feature that the company never claimed was there in the first place.

At best I could see the guy being allowed to bring suit against his department for procuring an insufficiently idiot-proof service weapon. But unless he is claiming a manufacturing defect, then Glock is clearly not part of this story. They never claimed to offer external safeties; they did not force the department to buy that model; they did not provide the weapons training to the officer; they did not put the pistol in reach of the child.

So, yeah, I think the judge who allowed this go through is prize moron who would appear to have no problem reinstating a frivolous lawsuit against an innocent company, and my inner cynic tells me the judge probably thinks it's okay to punish an 'evil' gun company. A pox on him.
    joker1, NONAME762 and atctimmy like this.
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    The only good thing about this story is that this idiot is no longer out on the streets patrolling.

Don't know what theory is being approached with his suit, have to assume it is a defective product design since the mfr is named. There are at least 4 elements that need to proved up to succeed in a defective design case, paraphrased from memory:

1. The product had have been unmodified and properly maintained since the time it left the factory.
    2. The product defect was the primary cause for the incident and was being properly used.
    3. The technology of an adequate design existed at the time of its manufacture.
    4. The modification( other design) was economically reasonable.

I think #2 improper use fails the test, there are even federal laws that stipulate maintaining a gun outside of the reach for a child.
    Yoda, I am, yes.

I think the kid just lack the proper training to git a clean shot on his moron dad. Natural selection at it's finest.

VIP Member
    The only jury that would award this guy dollar one is the one that acquitted OJ.
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

Distinguished Member Array sid1's Avatar
    WOW, speechless

VIP Member
    I replied to the news story about this on PoliceOne.com, this guy is getting no mercy from us officers all over the country on this

this REALLY upsets me

what an absolute idiot , so you screw up and leave your loaded pistol where your 3yo could get it in the back seat (screwup/crime #1)
    and your 3yo was UNSECURED in the back seat (screwup/crime #2)

....which by the way I'd bet 99% of cops have absolutely no tolerance for when seen on road...parents HAVE to take care of those kids in the car, they can't protect themselves, you should know this is the most important thing you can do before you put that vehicle in gear...get the kid secured properly maybe he hasn't had to do CPR on a young kid in a car wreck before, or seen their lifeless body being cut out of a car like a sardine...I have

so now you're trying to save face by filing a lawsuit (redirecting blame) on the pistol's manufacturer,
    here is your idiot of the year award
    what an idiot....oh, I already said that

what an embarrassment to us cops and gun owners everywhere , you don't deserve to have guns or your kid IMO

I guess he needs to sue every other manufacturer of revolvers and any other semi-autos that don't have grip safeties due to their negligence and potential for damages/injury

Glock should counter-sue him for defamation of the company based on his idiocy in violating gun safety rules and blaming the tool that was left for a 3yo to pick up, when in fact it was the tool in the driver's seat that was responsible for the whole thing
    Last edited by 64zebra; August 3rd, 2012 at 09:10 PM.
    mprp, joker1, stevem174 and 1 others like this.
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

I have just successfully converted a Glock into a much safer firearm. I added a couple of safety features such as a grip safety and even a thumb activated safety. I think it turned out quite well.

1911TRPs.jpeg
    Michael
    msgt/ret likes this.

VIP Member
    this guy's Glock 21 would be made safer by getting mailed to my house and joining my other Glock 21
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

He needs to sue the maker of the child seat, the manufacturer of the vehicle, and the ammunition manufacturer also.
    The child seat didn't self restrain the kid, the vehicle manufacturer did not provide adequate shielding from bullets, and the ammunition company made a dangerous product that could get people hurt.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

IMO the proper person got shot. The 3 year old isn't expected to know any better and I'm glad that he dodged his dad's stupidity.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    I have just successfully converted a Glock into a much safer firearm. I added a couple of safety features such as a grip safety and even a thumb activated safety. I think it turned out quite well.

1911TRPs.jpeg
    Michael
    That is the prettiest and safest Glock I've ever seen! If I could buy one like that, I would.
    msgt/ret likes this.
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

I don't think this cop deserves such contumely for his actions with the gun. It is his outrageous money grubbing actions following the accident that deserve scorn.

Hm. Suing the manufacturer for making a model of gun that doesn't have a grip/manual safety, despite the fact that he himself purchased it. "Outrageous money-grubbing actions," is right, IMO.

One would think his responsibility for (a) gun-proofing his own child and (b) securing his loaded firearm would both be important aspects of any such claim. I'd also like to know why he opted to acquire and use such a "dangerous" gun, too. I'm betting his gun safe was equally risky and threatening, perhaps that's why it wasn't used to secure that gun from roving 3yr old children ...
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links