Negligent Discharge...So ashamed. (no one hurt) - Page 2

Negligent Discharge...So ashamed. (no one hurt)

This is a discussion on Negligent Discharge...So ashamed. (no one hurt) within the Basic Gun Handling & Safety forums, part of the General Firearm Discussion category; Thank you Buckeye! As for everyone else, once again, I appreciate the "positive" outlook (positive in quotations as I know you are not saying its ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: Negligent Discharge...So ashamed. (no one hurt)

Thank you Buckeye! As for everyone else, once again, I appreciate the "positive" outlook (positive in quotations as I know you are not saying its okay that this happened). And you're welcome for sharing, I always admit when I am wrong. And this was one of my biggest mistakes, next to a few ex-gfs :)

Quote Originally Posted by buckeye .45 View Post
    Your thread has been moved to General Firearms Discussion, per your request.

I have a general rule for myself, if there are bullets in a pistol, the pistol is in a holster. And if I am practicing drawing and dry firing, there is no ammo in the room.

Checking the chamber of every firearm when you pick it up is a good habit to get into.
    That being said, Im wondering if dummy rounds could promote a possible ND? Ive been considering buying some but Im assuming they deffinatley require paying attention to what mag you load?
    "The thing about quotes on the internet is that you can not confirm their validity."
    -Abraham Lincoln

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky. dangerous animals."
    -Agent K

Quote Originally Posted by buckeye .45 View Post
    Your thread has been moved to General Firearms Discussion, per your request.

I have a general rule for myself, if there are bullets in a pistol, the pistol is in a holster. And if I am practicing drawing and dry firing, there is no ammo in the room.

Checking the chamber of every firearm when you pick it up is a good habit to get into.
    Ditto. Even at night the Sigs are in bedside holsters on both sides of the bed, not on the nightstand or inside.
    Pistology likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Itsbwalt View Post
    Thank you Buckeye! As for everyone else, once again, I appreciate the "positive" outlook (positive in quotations as I know you are not saying its okay that this happened). And you're welcome for sharing, I always admit when I am wrong. And this was one of my biggest mistakes, next to a few ex-gfs :)
    No problem. By the way welcome to the forum. Dont forget to put an intro thread up if you havnt already.
    "The thing about quotes on the internet is that you can not confirm their validity."
    -Abraham Lincoln

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky. dangerous animals."
    -Agent K

Mistakes. We all make 'em. It's where experience and learning come from.

Glad everyone's okay. Be safe.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

RKM
    Things happen. We're human and any one of us can make this mistake. You may not have followed ALL of the rules, but you followed most, and the result didn't get anybody hurt. This is why we always point firearms in a safe direction, even though we "know" they're unloaded. And I say know in quotes because in your mind you "knew" it was unloaded, until it went bang.

I've come close to an ND, but caught myself. Was dry firing my P3AT when I had it. I was in such a habit of racking the slide, pull the trigger, rack the slide, pull the trigger over and over again. When it came time to put it back in the holster, I loaded it up, racked a round in the chamber, pointed it at the wall and put my finger on the trigger, then it clicked (not the gun, my brain). Holy crap.... I immediately took my finger off the trigger, checked the chamber... duh there is a bullet in there, I just loaded it. Took a huge sigh of relief and just set the gun down for a few seconds.

Never thinking an ND can happen to you because you're "trained" in firearms safety makes you too confident and cocky around firearms and that's when mistakes happen (not saying you're cocky, OP). Don't be sacred of firearms, just respect them. I have to remind myself of this all the time when dry firing and handling guns in general. When I start to get to sloppy, I have to remind myself. It's not bad to review firearms safety, even after many many years. You can never be too safe.

Quote Originally Posted by pfries View Post
    First thanks for sharing this, it can be hard to admit when you screw up and takes a person of admirable stature to do so. This is a reminder to all of us to always be diligent with firearm safety.
    The rules are designed in a way that if one should be forgotten another will help prevent tragedy. Get out there, get over being gun shy, share your experience, I would be willing to bet your friend had a similar reaction.
    Stay safe
    ^^^ This... And thanks for sharing. Forgot where I heard this but, the guy said you can get away with breaking one of the four rules but not two. I too get a little too comfortable and complacent at times with firearms. Thanks for a lesson learned in my stead and back you go to the range.
    I think, therefore I am...

<the Menace>

That's why when you dry fire guns you remove any ammo from the room,that way there is no chance of anybody loading a gun and having any memory lapse,
    ShooterGranny likes this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

there was your mistake.....never assume

Did the same thing and thank god no one was hurt.... any time you pick up a gun no matter what assume it was / is loaded. You never know what happens in that split second when you are not looking. It will eat at you for a while and then you get over it but never forget

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    That's why when you dry fire guns you remove any ammo from the room,that way there is no chance of anybody loading a gun and having any memory lapse,
    Sorry I disagree with this; if you fallow the basic rules it doesn’t matter where you are. In the military when you are cleaning your gun you don’t take the ammo to another room. No; treat the gun/rifle as if it is loaded and here is no different. He screwed up and didn’t check it before pulling the trigger… he assumed

Edit: any time we handle guns it is the same rule as the range...action open all the time unless you are shooting

First off, once the gun was reloaded, it should never have been put back with the guns being handled, it should have gone in the owner's holster and been left there. I'm very happy that it was a brick house that stopped the round, as you say that could have been really bad. However, you did follow one of the rules that really saved hour hide, you didn't point it at anything that that you didn't want to kill, unless you wanted to kill the wall?
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Administrator
    I'll bet you're glad you didn't point it at his big screen TV and pull that trigger.
    ShooterGranny and DingBat like this.

Good judgement comes from experience...and a lot of good experience comes from poor judgement. The lessons learned and never forgotten are those that are learned the hard way. You were fortunate that no one was hurt, so consider it a blessing and use the experience to reinforce good habits (which in turn leads to good judgement). Thanks for sharing and stay safe.
    pfries likes this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Distinguished Member Array Once's Avatar
    Don't ever forget what happened and how it happened. I've had an ND myself, luckily for me it was in the middle of the desert and the 12ga was pointing straight up in the air. That made me realize you can never be too careful.
    You'll be ok. Go to the range and be safe.

Quote Originally Posted by Itsbwalt View Post
    Picking bad girlfriends can become an expensive habit. Let's hope your other misadventure doesn't become a habit. I'm glad you're okay!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links