Negligent Discharge...So ashamed. (no one hurt) - Page 3

Negligent Discharge...So ashamed. (no one hurt)

This is a discussion on Negligent Discharge...So ashamed. (no one hurt) within the Basic Gun Handling & Safety forums, part of the General Firearm Discussion category; anytime before I pull a trigger (after I handed it to someone and got it back) I will check the chamber. I have to visually ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: Negligent Discharge...So ashamed. (no one hurt)

anytime before I pull a trigger (after I handed it to someone and got it back) I will check the chamber. I have to visually see it. it's been such a habit that I'm proud of.

I've said this before... four questions to ask after an incident:

1. Are my loved ones alive and unhurt?
    2. Am I alive?
    3. Did I learn something?
    4. Am I unhurt?

As long as I can say yes to all of the first three, it's all good. Maybe painful, expensive, or embarrassing, but nothing I can't recover from.

I bet that won't happen twice

Gotta always to double triple check with a firearm around other people. At least you did point in a safe direction.

VIP Member
    Shame, guilt and embarrassment are wonderful albeit painful teachers. You will be feeling much better in a bit.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Quote Originally Posted by Ionracas View Post
    That being said, Im wondering if dummy rounds could promote a possible ND? Ive been considering buying some but Im assuming they deffinatley require paying attention to what mag you load?
    I actually have a few mags with colored base plates for this very reason, paint markers work wonders.
    Mors est libertas

MALAD JUSTED

Quote Originally Posted by Ionracas View Post
    That being said, Im wondering if dummy rounds could promote a possible ND? Ive been considering buying some but Im assuming they deffinatley require paying attention to what mag you load?
    You fail to see the whole point. Dummy rounds would make the situation worse than they have a false sense of security. If the guns are treated as loaded all the time then there is no mistaking the difference.
    Personal training is one thing but a false sense amongst others is another

Can't believe how positive everyone has been. Thanks! Tomorrow after work Me and 2 of my buddies (one of which is the one who was present during this ND) are headed to the range! I cleaned my Ruger SR40c tonight, and I admit I was even a bit scared just handling my gun. But I got through it and I kind of like my new found respect. Got to talk to my buddy today about the incident and we both agreed that it was a huge wake up call since we are both what I would consider extremely gun safe to begin with. Went over to his place and walked in and he gave me a big man hug. We are definitely both better people and bonded in a way most people never will understand ha.

Still kind of confused why I can't really remember it happening..I know it did but it now all seems like a blur? Anyone have an experience like this? Almost like a car wreck or something...

Keep it safe boys/girls

God Bless
    B

Psychological trauma and memory loss is well studied but less well understood. Research it and and you'll find how common it is.

BTW, welcome. Spent a lot of time in Kansas once.

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    I'll bet you're glad you didn't point it at his big screen TV and pull that trigger.
    I actually know about this happening to someone. It wasn't me, but I can tell you it was an awakening for the guy who was normally very careful. He'd been dry firing a 1911 after making some modifications. Satisfied that all was well he inserted the loaded mag, set the gun down, and left the room, he lived alone. Came back a short time later, picked up the gun, racked it and shot a hole in his projection screen TV.

He called me on the phone right after it happened, I didn't chastise him, I just listened, I knew he just learned a tough lesson. Luckily no one was hurt, and oddly enough the TV still worked just fine other than the bullet hole was distracting. I'll bet it served as a daily reminder.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Speaking of daily reminders, my buddy kept the spent shell casing and put it on his dresser as a daily reminder. I'm lucky to have such good friends. I told him to put it on a necklace like a shark tooth ha. Pretty anxious about shooting that Kimber tomorrow. I'll be reporting back here :) maybe with some pics!

I put a hole in my old tv with a 686 about 30 years ago. I told this story in another thread here a few weeks ago.

Quote Originally Posted by ppkheat View Post
    He'd been dry firing a 1911 after making some modifications. Satisfied that all was well he inserted the loaded mag, set the gun down ... Came back a short time later, picked up the gun, racked it and shot a hole in his projection screen TV.
    Loss of train of thought is the one thing that worries me most. The basic procedure I've tried to follow is: (a) to have no ammo in the work area; and (b) to holster a weapon once it's loaded. If at anytime I then leave and come back, the holstered weapon is an additional reminder it's loaded. Of course, it should always be treated as such (loaded).
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Itsbwalt View Post
    Can't believe how positive everyone has been. Thanks!
    We're like family here... a big... gun loving family...

Quote Originally Posted by Itsbwalt View Post
    Speaking of daily reminders, my buddy kept the spent shell casing and put it on his dresser as a daily reminder. I'm lucky to have such good friends. I told him to put it on a necklace like a shark tooth ha.
    Now THAT would make a nice conversation starter...an embarrassing one perhaps.... but a conversation starter nonetheless!
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

gtv
    Glad everyone is ok! Like others have said, this is why we always point in a safe direction. A friend of mine just bought a used pistol, and the first time he engaged the decocker on a live round, the hammer dropped and "BANG!" Luckily, he had it pointed in a safe direction. Unluckily, he killed their brand new Dyson vacuum cleaner...
    "Give a man a fish, and he'll eat for a day... Teach a man to fish and he'll spend all his time in the basement tying flies and neglecting his personal hygiene." -- Jimmy James

"Khaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan!!!" -- Admiral James T. Kirk

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links