Negligent Discharge...So ashamed. (no one hurt) - Page 4

Negligent Discharge...So ashamed. (no one hurt)

This is a discussion on Negligent Discharge...So ashamed. (no one hurt) within the Basic Gun Handling & Safety forums, part of the General Firearm Discussion category; Originally Posted by Itsbwalt Can't believe how positive everyone has been. Thanks! Tomorrow after work Me and 2 of my buddies (one of which is ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: Negligent Discharge...So ashamed. (no one hurt)

Quote Originally Posted by Itsbwalt View Post
    Can't believe how positive everyone has been. Thanks! Tomorrow after work Me and 2 of my buddies (one of which is the one who was present during this ND) are headed to the range! I cleaned my Ruger SR40c tonight, and I admit I was even a bit scared just handling my gun. But I got through it and I kind of like my new found respect. Got to talk to my buddy today about the incident and we both agreed that it was a huge wake up call since we are both what I would consider extremely gun safe to begin with. Went over to his place and walked in and he gave me a big man hug. We are definitely both better people and bonded in a way most people never will understand ha.

Still kind of confused why I can't really remember it happening..I know it did but it now all seems like a blur? Anyone have an experience like this? Almost like a car wreck or something...

Keep it safe boys/girls

God Bless
    B
    Respect is certainly the key! There are actually at least two lessons that I can make from this. 1. Take your eye off it for even a second and pick it up again, clear and clear it again like you missed something in the first clearing. 2. Make sure that you announce that a firearm is now loaded because you can now see how easy it is for someone to pick up a firearm, think it's clear and have a ND. Or put it away after loading it which may even be better. Tell you friend too. The respect should be unwavering.

IMO, being in the, "all of the guns are unloaded and everything should be ok" mode and then something like that happens, it's no surprise that you would have a bit of a mental block of the incident. It wasn't supposed to compute like that. BTW, your firearm went off exactly when and like it was supposed to. It IS safe to carry with one in the pipe.

And last but not least, glad everyone is ok, you and you friend are all the wiser, good to see you and your friend heading to the range and welcome to the forum.
    tcox4freedom likes this.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Takes a big man to admit to a mistake. Welcome and I bet you're a safer shooter now than you have been in years. I punched a. 45 caliber hole in sheetrock once back when I was a teenager. Funny I still remember that to this day and am religious about how I handle firearms due to that event a long time ago.

Good thing nobody got hurt... while reading the OP first thing i thought of was the distinctive sound racking a round makes...?... But i can see where you were assuming it was still cleared as it was moments before. Loaded chamber indicators are helpful when one has one... otherwise better off checking and clearing yourself.

Dude I totally saw it. That brick wall reached for something. Looked like a gun. You did what you had to do.

Glad everyone is ok! Welcome to DC!

VIP Member
    My teenage daughters think its funny, but this saying is all you have to remember;

"Keep your booger hook off the bang switch"

And nothing evil will happen.

First and foremost,
    Remember Jeff Coopers rules,

RULE I: ALL GUNS ARE ALWAYS LOADED

RULE II: NEVER LET THE MUZZLE COVER ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT WILLING TO DESTROY

RULE III: KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL YOUR SIGHTS ARE ON THE TARGET

RULE IV: BE SURE OF YOUR TARGET
    tcox4freedom likes this.
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

It's funny you mention the noise of it racking with no mag/empty mag vs racking when it chambers a round. As crappy as my recollection of the event is, I remember thinking it sounded different, but it was late and so routine to rack pull trigger rack pull trigger...since I had basically been doing it for an hour. It's like the realization didn't register or at least it didn't override my habit. I know that probably will make me sound even more negligent "ya big idiot you heard/felt something different and didn't stop?" yeah I know, but I am human and I made a big mistake. Luckily the outcome was "good" since I followed the other rules.

On a better note, went to the range yesterday and shot 250 rounds, mostly through my sr40c but probably 50 through that "evil kimber" :) I admit my hands were a bit shaky racking the kimber for the first time since I blew a hole in the sheetrock haha! But it was a good time and I shot well, besides that first shaky magazine through the kimber.

Thanks again for the responses!

God bless.
    B
    certified likes this.

I guess I'm ressurecting this thread, and this is my first post. I just had the exact same thing happen to me as the original poster, except my screw-up was with a .308 bolt gun. My ears are still ringing. I had been dry firing my AR and M1 carbine for a while and was lulled into a false sense of security. When I pulled the Remington out I ran the bolt back and checked the chamber. Nothing in the chamber but the internal magazine was full. I guess I was too focused on the chamber to register this. Ran the bolt home, shouldered, and then heard the loudest sound of my life. The round went through 3 walls, and did not go outside, and no one was hurt, except my ears and pride. I then and am now more angry than I have ever been before. I was inspired to man up and share my story after reading the op's.
    No matter how safe you think you are, do not be lulled into a false sense of safety and falter on your procedures of checking your guns. Respect the firearms for what they are. Don't make the mistake I did, and please please completely unload your guns. If I had just popped the baseplate, this would not have happened.
    certified likes this.

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar
    Bud all I can say is it just takes one little mistake to change you from a good citizen to a citizen with a criminal record. Learn from this and never let it happen again.

Distinguished Member Array Dan060's Avatar
    As a couple of others have stated,you live and learn from it and move on.

Distinguished Member Array Exacto's Avatar
    I used to ride motorcycles a few years ago, and one day while out on a ride I stopped at a store and was talking to some other riders. Somehow the conversation got around to who's been down and who hasn't. One guy chimed in and said, there are two kinds of riders, those that have been down, and those that haven't been down yet. Same could be said for NDs. I'm glad the only thing hurt was some feelings.
    Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunder bolt...... Sun Tzu.

The supreme art of war is to defeat the enemy without fighting........ Sun Tzu.

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    I have always said you would have to break more than one of the four rules to hurt someone. That's why the rules work together. DR

My advice.....anytime your around buddies and drinking. It most likely results in a bad result. Not accusing anyone of drinking while handling firearms, but I'm also aware that this happens more than is reported.

Like others have said, learn from what has happened and NEVER let it happen again. Check, check again, and check again before ever pulling the trigger.

I am totally bummed. It happened to me too...

I am totally bummed out. I got a new pump shotgun last week (Mossburg 500 Special Purpose Bantam Tactical 20 gauge, my 4th gun) and took it to the range yesterday. I got my Texas CHL last year. I have only a year or so experience with firearms. I admit it, I have gotten cocky. It would never happen to me. I came home and decided to load it up before putting it in my gun cabinet, so I could retrieve it quickly and be ready in an emergency. Then for some unknown reason, I had it aimed at my ceiling and pulled the trigger. I thought the safety was on. It was not. I know, I know, keep the booger picker out of there. The bird shot went through the closet ceiling and thru the floor and carpet in my wife's office upstairs, and missed her sitting in her desk chair by inches. The bird shot lodged in the ceiling corner of her office. She was not hurt at all fortunately, but her desk was sprayed from all of the floor faux wood particles. She came out screaming. I got the ultimatum. "Either all your guns go or I go." I still feel sick as hell. I came so close to seriously hurting her. I told her I would sell all my guns to calm her down. Definitely will sell the Mossburg and even could part with my Gen 4 Glock 17 with a Crimson Trace grip I just installed. But am having second thoughts on my Kahr P9 EDC and my Colt LE6920MP-B rifle. I want to keep them. I know I have learned my lesson. But I cannot tell her my thoughts for a while. She wants me to sell them all on Gunbroker. What do you think? How do I make it up to her, keep my guns and still come out OK on this? Or am I screwed?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SchertzDude View Post
    I am totally bummed out. I got a new pump shotgun last week (Mossburg 500 Special Purpose Bantam Tactical 20 gauge, my 4th gun) and took it to the range yesterday. I got my Texas CHL last year. I have only a year or so experience with firearms. I admit it, I have gotten cocky. It would never happen to me. I came home and decided to load it up before putting it in my gun cabinet, so I could retrieve it quickly and be ready in an emergency. Then for some unknown reason, I had it aimed at my ceiling and pulled the trigger. I thought the safety was on. It was not. I know, I know, keep the booger picker out of there. The bird shot went through the closet ceiling and thru the floor and carpet in my wife's office upstairs, and missed her sitting in her desk chair by inches. The bird shot lodged in the ceiling corner of her office. She was not hurt at all fortunately, but her desk was sprayed from all of the floor faux wood particles. She came out screaming. I got the ultimatum. "Either all your guns go or I go." I still feel sick as hell. I came so close to seriously hurting her. I told her I would sell all my guns to calm her down. Definitely will sell the Mossburg and even could part with my Gen 4 Glock 17 with a Crimson Trace grip I just installed. But am having second thoughts on my Kahr P9 EDC and my Colt LE6920MP-B rifle. I want to keep them. I know I have learned my lesson. But I cannot tell her my thoughts for a while. She wants me to sell them all on Gunbroker. What do you think? How do I make it up to her, keep my guns and still come out OK on this? Or am I screwed?

The issue is between you and your wife, and that is one you need to work out with her.
    BenGoodLuck and Pete63 like this.
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SchertzDude View Post
    You got that kind of penetration with bird shot? Wow!
    PEF likes this.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links