Negligent Discharge...So ashamed. (no one hurt)

This is a discussion on Negligent Discharge...So ashamed. (no one hurt) within the Basic Gun Handling & Safety forums, part of the General Firearm Discussion category; Edit : Can admin move this to a more relevent forum, thought I was posting in General. Well, Been a long time lurker of the ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: Negligent Discharge...So ashamed. (no one hurt)

Negligent Discharge...So ashamed. (no one hurt)

Edit : Can admin move this to a more relevent forum, thought I was posting in General.

Well,

Been a long time lurker of the forums. Have been around firearms since I was 10 years old (24 now), hunted, plinked, always lived by the 4 rules. Well last night I was at my buddies apartment checking out his new XDs45. We had his XDs out and his Kimber 1911 and all were cleared of course. He also had a new crossbreed holster for the XDs so we were trying that on. Well after an hour or so of cleaning and racking and chatting. I was playing with his Kimber, such a smooth slide on it. Well I dryfired it a couple times, no mag obv and nothing in the chamber. I set it down and was looking at the safety features on the XDs and ironically we were talking about carrying with one in the chamber and how safe it was lol. Well in the mean time I was about to leave and he slammed a mag back in the kimber, without me knowing (in no way am I blaming him, this is 100% my fault). I picked up the kimber racked it, aimed at the wall (exterior facing wall, brick outside) and...BANG. I didnt even know what happened and still dont really remember. It was just a flash and smell of gun powder. And a nice .45 acp hole in his sheet rock. No cops were called, the round didnt get outside. No one hurt...besides my ego and ears! But it could of been terrible. Makes me sick thinking about it. I thought I would never share this but the problem is I want some advice. This incident kind of scared me away from carrying or even touching my guns. All I can hear is that bang...Had trouble sleeping last night :( Should I wait a couple weeks to let it pass or should I head to the range? And by head to the range I don't mean "forget about it, stuff happens" I mean conquer my fear and know that I now have a new outlook on safety..where I once thought I was safe, now I feel OCD! I hope this story will help someone in thinking "it will never happen to me, im perfectly safe" to "it could happen to me, i better be even safer". Please no negative comments, I am already very shook up by the event, and I figured it was worth sharing.

Also going to go patch up his wall for him this week.

I take 100% responsibility for what happened, even though I still can't really recall the event...adrenaline.

Thanks, BE SAFE.

B
    Last edited by Rock and Glock; August 5th, 2012 at 10:12 PM.
    glockman10mm and blitzburgh like this.

2. Remove Ads

sgb
    Always get right back on the horse once you've been thrown. You know what you did and how to correct it.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Thanks SGB. The saying "The loudest noise you will ever here is a click when you expect a bang, or a bang when you expect a click" could not be MORE true....

Going to hit up the range tomorrow with my buddy and shoot his Kimber.
    Crescentstar and mano3 like this.

You'll always remember that mistake and just make it your last one.

Get back to the range and regain your confidence.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Glad it ended (relatively) well. It is one of those things you will definitely learn from. That is why we point em in a safe direction right? Like SGB said, get back on that horse and be safe.
    mano3 likes this.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Ouch! Live and learn my friend. Sounds like you at least pointed it in one of the safest direction available.

The sleepless night, sickness and worry are good things in this case because fortunately that's your punishment...let it work on you.

You'll move on and be better because of it.
    Luis

"Everybody's got a plan, 'til they get hit".

Mike Tyson

Live and learn buddy. I am glad everyone is alright. You will never forget this moment so I am sure you will not let it happen again. Get out to the range asap.

First thanks for sharing this, it can be hard to admit when you screw up and takes a person of admirable stature to do so. This is a reminder to all of us to always be diligent with firearm safety.
    The rules are designed in a way that if one should be forgotten another will help prevent tragedy. Get out there, get over being gun shy, share your experience, I would be willing to bet your friend had a similar reaction.
    Stay safe
    Mors est libertas

MALAD JUSTED

Thanks guys. I can't even put into words how big of a lesson this was. This forum is like a family, its pretty rare. I hope some other people will benefit from my story.

God bless!
    mano3 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar
    Glad you're both OK.

Lesson learned: Every time you pick up a firearm, even if you set it down for only a second, check the chamber and mag.

I swear my wife looks at me like I'm crazy when I check mine every single time I set it down... But it's the habit of doing it that matters, because all it takes is once, lucky for you that the gun was pointed in a safe direction.

Live and learn. Be safe.
    Exacto likes this.
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

Glad it ended well, I mean not as bad as it could.

Never completley let go of the fear, you can use it to keep yourself in check. Sometimes fearing the worst will keep you from making a simmilar mistake. That being said you have to control the fear not visce versa. Ive always told people Im training that is okay to be afraid, that I do t want to work with people who say they arnt afraid.

Anyways, glad you have decided to head to the range and Goodluck. Of course always remember, a safe direction.
    "The thing about quotes on the internet is that you can not confirm their validity."
    -Abraham Lincoln

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky. dangerous animals."
    -Agent K

Definitely a stupid moment, but there are a fair number of us on here that have had one at some point or another. When I had mine I was out hunting with a single shot 22-250. Had a deer in the scope but it took off before I could squeeze off a shot. When I was getting in the truck I stopped to uncock the gun. Started lowering the hammer and BANG! Luckily it was pointed away from anyone (following the rules!), so all I got was a small hole in the bottom of my door (I was between the truck and the open door). Still have that hole in my truck as a reminder.

Relax for a day or so and then get to the range and burn some powder.

Bet you don't do that again. I know a couple of guns who have had this kind of accident before. One shot the floor, the other killed a AC unit. That has been YEARS ago and I don't think you could find two individuals who are as safety minded with weapons. Like other have said, "Live and Learn" through experience. Just make sure you got the "Learn" part down.
    oldnfat likes this.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

Thanks for sharing. Glad it ended as well as it did.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Your thread has been moved to General Firearms Discussion, per your request.

I have a general rule for myself, if there are bullets in a pistol, the pistol is in a holster. And if I am practicing drawing and dry firing, there is no ammo in the room.

Checking the chamber of every firearm when you pick it up is a good habit to get into.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links