I had an ND

This is a discussion on I had an ND within the Basic Gun Handling & Safety forums, part of the General Firearm Discussion category; Well, my parents decided that (at least for the time being) the guns should be kept in their bedroom and I should be restricted to ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: I had an ND

Well, my parents decided that (at least for the time being) the guns should be kept in their bedroom and I should be restricted to using them at the range for practice and my yearly armed security qualification course. No carrying them for awhile. I don't agree with it, but I respect their right to set rules while I'm living under their roof. I also understand that they don't have a lot of confidence in my competence with firearms after so royally screwing the pooch. Like I said, hopefully it's just temporary.

My dad was raised with guns and used to hunt, but he gave it up after my older sister got to the age where he and mom were worried about accidents. I only just convinced them this year to allow me to have a gun because of my armed security license and the hope that I might be able to find a better paying job quicker as a armed officer than as a unarmed one. My dad works at the nuke plant and is friends with some of the Security there, but so far that connection hasn't resulted in me being hired. That's why I started beefing up my resume by taking some firearms classes and getting licensed. And the expense of renting a gun everytime I went to class (plus the fact that it wasn't the gun I would have liked to shoot everytime) lead me to go ahead and buy one

Quote Originally Posted by buckeye .45 View Post
    Complacency kills.

I don't mean to sound overly harsh, but it is a harsh truth. And it applies to more than just firearms. It also applies to driving, operating machinery, scuba diving, parachuting, or basically any other activity with inherent risk.

Out of curiosity, how would the firing pin on a revolver get damaged? When it isn't hitting the primer, like it should be, or being cycled with the action, it is just sitting there, protected by metal on all sides.
    I understand that. I know I just had a massive fluff up, and I own it. As to why I was checking it, I had just done some dry fire with it last night.
    Ron Paul 2012

There are three kinds of Yankees: Yankees, Damn Yankees, and Floridians

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array onacoma's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BRTCP88 View Post
    I cocked the hammer on my revolver to inspect the firing pin. When lowering the hammer, my thumb slipped and the gun went off. Now I know that the wall I was pointing at is not safe and to unload the gun before doing that again. I'd done it a hundred times and got complacent.
    Well the only thing that is good about this is you weren't pointing it at your wedding picture when you ND?

So let get this right, the first time you point the "LOADED" pistol at the wall to check the firing pin was poor judgement, to continue to a 100 times was the issue!

Why on earth would you check the firing pin with the gun loaded, and unless it is a 1800 single action the revolver's pin has a block plate to keep it from firing unless you pull the trigger?

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress. -- John Adams

If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free! -- P.J. O'Rourke

Quote Originally Posted by onacoma View Post
    Well the only thing that is good about this is you weren't pointing it at your wedding picture when you ND?

So let get this right, the first time you point the "LOADED" pistol at the wall to check the firing pin was poor judgement, to continue to a 100 times was the issue!

Why on earth would you check the firing pin with the gun loaded, and unless it is a 1800 single action the revolver's pin has a block plate to keep it from firing unless you pull the trigger?
    No, I've lowered the hammer a hundred times, sometimes loaded. In the beginning I would always unload it first, but then eventually I got to the point where I had done it so many times that I felt confident doing it with a loaded gun and wouldn't always bother to unload it first. That WILL NOT HAPPEN AGAIN. Caps for emphasis, I'm not offended.
    Ron Paul 2012

There are three kinds of Yankees: Yankees, Damn Yankees, and Floridians

Here's a few things:
    1) You can get away with violating one rule in a single instance, but no more; not advisable, but possible. You've learned an important lesson.
    2) Make your own clearing barrel for $5 - go to a bakery and ask for a 5 gal bucket (free) and fill it with sand. Whenever handling a loaded gun, barrel's pointed down into the bucket.
    3) Proper way to lower a hammer is to put a finger btwn the hammer and frame until it is almost lowered

VIP Member
    Sorry to hear about your ND, but glad to hear your safety awareness went up X1000.

Don't beat yourself up over it, just let it be a good lesson for the rest of your life.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links