I had an ND

This is a discussion on I had an ND within the Basic Gun Handling & Safety forums, part of the General Firearm Discussion category; No one was hurt. I just felt I should tell someone. I know I fluffed up big time. Let the flaming commence, I deserve it....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: I had an ND

I had an ND

No one was hurt. I just felt I should tell someone. I know I fluffed up big time. Let the flaming commence, I deserve it.
    Ron Paul 2012

There are three kinds of Yankees: Yankees, Damn Yankees, and Floridians

2. Remove Ads

If you'd care to elaborate, what was the "negligence" part ... and, hence, the lesson(s) to be learned?
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    If you'd care to elaborate, what was the "negligence" part ... and, hence, the lesson(s) to be learned?
    I cocked the hammer on my revolver to inspect the firing pin. When lowering the hammer, my thumb slipped and the gun went off. Now I know that the wall I was pointing at is not safe and to unload the gun before doing that again. I'd done it a hundred times and got complacent.
    Ron Paul 2012

Distinguished Member Array svgheartland's Avatar
    If I had had one in my life, and only one, which I have but I'm not admitting that I did.....then I wouldn't look down on you for your honesty.....and I'm not. It scared the hell out of me once I realized that I was the one who did it. I was stunned at my own simple stupidity. I'm not suggesting that you share that trait. Thank God I was alone, if it really happened, but of course it didn't.
    wingryder and Brad426 like this.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

IF you wanted to inspect the firing pin, why didn't you unload it prior to pulling the hammer back?
    Brad426, msgt/ret and pittypat21 like this.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by buckeye .45 View Post
    IF you wanted to inspect the hammer, why didn't you unload it prior to pulling the hammer back?
    Yes, the negligent part here (in my opinion) is that you've done that enough times that you got complacent.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Been there, done that. Tried to lower the hammer on a thutty-thutty after letting a deer pass and bang! Had done it a hundred times, but it only takes once.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    Well, at least you wern't showing your friends at 2:30 in the morning that your pistol was empty by pointing it at your temple and pulling the trigger.

Lesson learned and should be duly noted by all.
    Do not inspect, fool with try to fix/maintain or otherwise clean any firearm while its loaded, and about all the harm it might do to you is get a sore foot, should you happen to drop it.
    Ghettokracker71 and msgt/ret like this.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Every time I touch my gun, particularly anytime when testing, loading/unloading or cleaning, I try to remember and recite the basic gun safety rules. I've found a simple acronym to help me: LMFT (Loaded, Muzzle, Finger, Trigger). It ain't fool-proof, but I feel that the simple regimen has helped.

Another thing that helps (me): whenever unholstering, first ensure that the gun is cleared/unloaded. THEN, and only then, move on to whatever procedure (ie, cleaning) was intended. Except, of course, in a defensive situation. It forces an opportunity to first validate that the weapon is clear, and reinforces the basic gun safety rules.

Glad you (and those around you) weren't injured.
    oneshot likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by BRTCP88 View Post
    I cocked the hammer on my revolver to inspect the firing pin. When lowering the hammer, my thumb slipped and the gun went off. Now I know that the wall I was pointing at is not safe and to unload the gun before doing that again. I'd done it a hundred times and got complacent.
    What is bad is that you had done it a hundred times before. Not only did you have an ND, you are practicing poor gun handling. You need to change that.
    pittypat21, msgt/ret and oneshot like this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Quote Originally Posted by buckeye .45 View Post
    IF you wanted to inspect the firing pin, why didn't you unload it prior to pulling the hammer back?
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad426 View Post
    Yes, the negligent part here (in my opinion) is that you've done that enough times that you got complacent.
    I agree with y'all. I heard that it's a part that can get damaged easily, so I inspect it every now and then. I used to unload it, but I got used to doing it. I was going to the grocery store and was going to carry it (I left it home.) I won't be handling loaded guns anymore though.
    Ron Paul 2012

I had a ND back as a teenager... Don't beat yourself up, everyone's alive, you learned a loud lesson and now have a hole to patch. I bet your much safer with firearms now.

There are a lot of us (maybe a lot more than we would admit to) who have who have had an ND while fooling with some type of gun. I have done it too.

The thing is that nobody was hurt. I would bet that you'll remember this incident a lot more often than all of the times you never had an ND. Sometimes a very loud reminder of gun handling safety can keep us on track.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote Originally Posted by BRTCP88 View Post
    I agree with y'all. I heard that it's a part that can get damaged easily, so I inspect it every now and then. I used to unload it, but I got used to doing it. I was going to the grocery store and was going to carry it (I left it home.) I won't be handling loaded guns anymore though.
    Complacency kills.

I don't mean to sound overly harsh, but it is a harsh truth. And it applies to more than just firearms. It also applies to driving, operating machinery, scuba diving, parachuting, or basically any other activity with inherent risk.

Out of curiosity, how would the firing pin on a revolver get damaged? When it isn't hitting the primer, like it should be, or being cycled with the action, it is just sitting there, protected by metal on all sides.
    oneshot likes this.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar
    For someone who takes firearms seriously, a having one ND should be a guarantee that it will be the only one you'll have. You remember it every time you handle your firearms going forward and will keep you from becoming complacent again.
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links