Foolish neighbors - kids with BB guns

This is a discussion on Foolish neighbors - kids with BB guns within the Basic Gun Handling & Safety forums, part of the General Firearm Discussion category; Keep us posted, very interested where this goes. I hope it goes well for you and the other folks that have had property damage and ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Foolish neighbors - kids with BB guns

Keep us posted, very interested where this goes. I hope it goes well for you and the other folks that have had property damage and that the offenders learn better responsibility.

2. Remove Ads

Well I'm sorry you have to deal with this. BB guns don't cause this much chaos except in amazingly irresponsible hands. It's too bad to see them being used for the exact opposite reason of the intended purpose (teaching proper gun handling and safety fundamentals). I know I'd be infuriated; I hope it works out for you and your neighbors get a clue here.

Senior Moderator
    Those kids need to learn that THEY are responsible for every single shot.

If their parents wont teach them, perhaps the law will.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Holes? In your property? I'm sure it's been said by now, but my neighbors would be re-siding my house. At least that section. I'm betting a few hundred dollars in repairs would help them gain some personally responsibility.

Senior Moderator
    My Daddy made sure that I was responible for my actions, and I paid for the bad decisions. These kids parents seem to be trying to wash their hands of the problem
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

VIP Member
    If they're not controlling their shots and are damaging your property, they could just as easily hurt someone. Please talk to the parents again and let them know that they are responsible for any damages their kids cause to your property. It's probably best to write them a letter so you have a record. I'd also let them know that they could also face criminal charges if anyone is hurt. If they continue to ignore you, contact the authorities.
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum. I think, therefore I am armed. (Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    I would have attempted at least one more time to reason with the parents. I made a few mistakes as a kid that I was fortunate enough to deal with without involving law enforcement. I learned a lot from this experience and am greatful to have kept a clean record. My life could be significantly different right now if a few people had not trusted my parents to deal with discipline and education.

Now if the parents gave you lip or were unresponsive to your repeated concern and warning that you would involve police if the issue was not addressed, then I would have no hessitation in getting police and insurrance involved.

I would first try to keep it as an educational experience for the kids, but if that didn't work out on my terms, I would make sure they got the experience one way or another. Better that they learn that their actions have consequences now when they are minor, than wait until they have something major happen and it will destroy the rest of their lives. Or someone elses.
    Walk softly ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links