Foolish neighbors - kids with BB guns

This is a discussion on Foolish neighbors - kids with BB guns within the Basic Gun Handling & Safety forums, part of the General Firearm Discussion category; My foolish neighbors let their kids shoot BB guns in their yard. I'm all for letting folks do what they want on their property, but ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Foolish neighbors - kids with BB guns

VIP Member

Foolish neighbors - kids with BB guns

My foolish neighbors let their kids shoot BB guns in their yard. I'm all for letting folks do what they want on their property, but it is just not safe.

Yesterday I found several holes in my siding, and about 7 more dents that did not penetrate. One need not be a rocket scientist to figure out what happened. These are good kids and I know it was not intentional, but they shot up my house. I spoke with one of the parents and she does not get it at all. Her response was my kids have been trained, they are supervised, and I can't promise you they won't shoot in the yard again. What the heck?

I'm thinking of either trying to speak with the parents again or calling the deputies to speak with the parents. Maybe the parents will take it seriously if the deputies speak with them. I hate calling out the law for this, but they did shoot up the house. It could easily have been me or my wife who got shot in the yard.

2. Remove Ads

Call the authorities. It will be good for all involved.
    Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
    Richard M Nixon
    Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.
    Jeff Cooper

That's not cool. Messing up your property is too far.

VIP Member
    Wow. If I shot up my neighbor's house when I was a kid, whether intentional or not, my dad would have given me a butt whoopin'. And then confiscated my bb gun.

Sounds like the kid's parents are making the decision for you...

Quote Originally Posted by ctr View Post
    Yesterday I found several holes in my siding, and about 7 more dents that did not penetrate.

I spoke with one of the parents and she does not get it at all. Her response was my kids have been trained, they are supervised, and I can't promise you they won't shoot in the yard again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubbiesdad View Post
    The "parent" essentially abdicated and gave you full blessing to deal with the situation. Just so.

LE can really help in such a situation. Depending on the rationality and character of those neighbors, they might not take it well. But the parent didn't seem too put-out by your earlier discussion. If she's preferring to be clueless, the next step is: getting a clue. LE will likely be the least-painful next step. Could easily be most-useful to that family, too, if they're informed of (1) their responsibility to cover the damage to your home, (2) their responsibility to cease endangering the innocents around them, and (3) their utter responsibility to decently parent and mentor those children to the point they're safe and sane when around firearms. To say nothing of the ultimate responsibility of all neighbors to deal with overt threats to their safety, which I'm sure "parent #1" doesn't appreciate.

Beyond the legal ramifications, perhaps it could turn into an opportunity to train the lads in proper firearms safety, handling and marksmanship. I'm sure everyone would benefit, whether it's someone found through LE, the neighborhood shooting buddies, or you.
    Last edited by ccw9mm; October 9th, 2012 at 01:33 PM. Reason: spelling
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    Thanks for the responses. I've got the day off work and plan to call the deputies shortly.

Mt neighbor's storage shed also has a number of BB holes in the siding. I found that this morning.

The four rules of gun safety are there for a reason. Know your target and what is beyond. All of this was so avoidable.

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    My foolish neighbors let their kids shoot BB guns in their yard. I'm all for letting folks do what they want on their property, but it is just not safe.

Yesterday I found several holes in my siding, and about 7 more dents that did not penetrate. One need not be a rocket scientist to figure out what happened. These are good kids and I know it was not intentional, but they shot up my house. I spoke with one of the parents and she does not get it at all. Her response was my kids have been trained, they are supervised, and I can't promise you they won't shoot in the yard again. What the heck?

I'm thinking of either trying to speak with the parents again or calling the deputies to speak with the parents. Maybe the parents will take it seriously if the deputies speak with them. I hate calling out the law for this, but they did shoot up the house. It could easily have been me or my wife who got shot in the yard.
    Did you show her the damage and ask who was going to pay for it?

If they had a "didn't care" or "not my little angel, he knows better" attitude I would definitely call the deputies and have them see the damage on my property.

Property has been damaged. They are lucky that a person or animal has not gotten hurt, ...yet.

The parents should pay for it, IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by PEF View Post
    Wow. If I shot up my neighbor's house when I was a kid, whether intentional or not, my dad would have given me a butt whoopin'. And then confiscated my bb gun.

Sounds like the kid's parents are making the decision for you...
    Not only that, but I would have to give up any money I had saved towards fixing damages caused, and "work off" the rest of the money it took it fix the damages! We had BB guns growing up, we enjoyed them too much to screw around with them because we knew the minute we did they'd be gone.

Heck, I remember shooting BB and pellet guns at my old babysitters house, and even then we(me and the babysitters son.) knew better than to shoot anywhere other than the designated area (they had an area setup with a backstop.).

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

It is a parents perogative to raise their child how they see fit. It is wrong for them to totally disregard your property damage.

If you came to my house and told me how to raise my kids I would tell you to exit my property and mind your own business. If you came over and told me that my kids damaged your property there would be consequences they would have to deal with. I would require them to pay you for the damages or work it off according to your stipulations...or both! There would also be some additional punishment from me but that would be my business and not involve you.

If they ignore the fact that your property was damaged then they have invited the use of LE to intervene and settle the matter. Good luck.

Serve my country, swear an oath to protect it, pay my taxes, fly old glory in the front yard, love and protect my family, honor the vets before me and help fellow americans in need.
    By definition my country now calls me a radical

Had BB guns as a kid. Had a steep bank below a road. Lots of beer cans and the BB's went into the dirt.
    Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
    Richard M Nixon
    Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.
    Jeff Cooper

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I had BB guns as a kid, and I'll let it go at that. Statute of Limitations, you know...
    mprp and msgt/ret like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Consider turning it in on your Homeowners Policy. Once you tell the company what happened, they may ask the neighbor's Company to subrograte the claim (pay for it). (Since they admitted it) Some people dont' understand this, and she might tell your company the whole story and admit fault, opening up her company to be liable for the claim. Once her company drops her, and her new policy is much higher in rate due to the fact she's been cancelled--she might be more concerned about what the kids are doing.

I agree. Call the police and make a report. It is the best solution to something of this nature, unless you are close friends with the parents, which based on your post I am assuming you are not.
    Former US Army SFC
    LTC-Class A HC: MA
    AG License: RI
    LTC: CT

VIP Member
    Things just keep getting worse. Another neighbor has holes in his house and possibly his boat as well.

We found more damage to my house after checking this afternoon. The area covered is so large I won't be able to fix it myself. Looks like the whole back of the Ouse will need to be resided. Really sucks.

I called the sheriffs office this evening to get the case number before calling the insurance agent in the morning. The deputy has not filed his report yet and won't be on duty again until Friday. I don't jknow if that is normal procedure or not.

Good move to call the agent. I'm telling you, you would be surprised how much weight that can have. When you apply for a new policy, you must declare yes or no, as to whether you have had coverage cancelled. Lying about it is a crime, and if you answer "yes", that will cause LOTS of questions to be asked. Normally only substandard companies will take such risks, and their rates are very high. Make sure to push your company to get back your deductible, they won't want to, but if you push hard enough, they might try. Young people are also often offered diversions if they haven't been in trouble before. They could make them pay for your deductible too, as part of the diversion agreement.

Had BB guns as a kid. Had a steep bank below a road. Lots of beer cans and the BB's went into the dirt.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    I had BB guns as a kid, and I'll let it go at that. Statute of Limitations, you know...
    Shot BB and pellet guns as a kid, myself. But as with most folks, the "fun" stopped at harming others and their stuff.

Things just keep getting worse. Another neighbor has holes in his house and possibly his boat as well.

We found more damage to my house after checking this afternoon. The area covered is so large I won't be able to fix it myself. Looks like the whole back of the Ouse will need to be resided.

I called the sheriffs office this evening ...
    Good call. The kids and their parents hold full responsibility, of course. Photos, photos, photos ... and document everything with dates, times, names/titles of people involved.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links