Negligent Glock Discharge- "It Can't happen to me".

This is a discussion on Negligent Glock Discharge- "It Can't happen to me". within the Basic Gun Handling & Safety forums, part of the General Firearm Discussion category; Not likely to happen to me since i don't own a glock but thanx for the safety reminder anyway you can never be too careful...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: Negligent Glock Discharge- "It Can't happen to me".

Not likely to happen to me since i don't own a glock but thanx for the safety reminder anyway you can never be too careful

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Chase127 View Post
    Not likely to happen to me since i don't own a glock ...
    It's almost sure to happen, if the magazine isn't ejected prior to closing the slide and then following that with a pull of the trigger. It'll result in a chambered round in any semi-auto pistol I can think of.
    Echo_Four and msc8127 like this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by glockforlife View Post
    CPL holder here who owns several glocks and shoots about 1,000 rounds a month at the range. I, like most of you scoffed at the stories of negligent Glock Discharges believing I am too smart, and too careful for that to ever happen to me.
    Well it just did today- and in my own home. As a part of self penance and to use this as a learning aid for others here is my story.

Practicing to become a better shooter, I practice dry fires on my g17 daily as many many gun owners do. I always do a safety check and this morning was not unlike 100's of other times I have done this. I keep my gun as a nightstand gun racked in a holster. Today I took it out to the living room as I do- but first did a safety check- I drop the magazine, rack the slide, and visually inspect the chamber.. yep did all 3 like iv done 100's of times.. Then I proceed to do my first dry fire.. squeeze aimed at he wall- then BLAM!!! ... what just happened?? Time just froze as I sat there frozen in shock looking at hole in the wall and smelling the gunsmoke. My first reaction was that?? That is not possible!! I look at gun, the magazine is out so how did it magically load itself?? Then after the 2 seconds of shock, panic sets in - where is the bullet?? Did it stay in the house?? Oh god! I live in close suburb! I get up and check.. Clean hole in the wall exited into the kitchen cabin and stoped by dishes which had exploded out spraying glass all over the kitchen.

The relief it didn't exit the house was replaced with terror, anger and confusion. I instantly hit the mental rewind and play to make sense of what just happened. I did the safety check just 5 seconds ago!!- and this surreal "that's not possible" emotion like I had just shifted into an alternate universe overcame me. After 10 minutes of trying to recall the clearing of the gun over and over my memory was the same- I droped the mag, racked and inspected chamber.. so what then? THis isn't possible! I am too smart and too carefull for THIS to happen to ME!..

Well apparently not. Here is what happened- Last night I had installed a new Crimson Trace Railmaster. So while doing my safety check which iv done hundreds of times- Somewhow my attention got distracted for a millisecond admiriing my sweet new laser- and in the momentary distraction my brain got the safety check out of order.. I racked, looked at the empty chamber, THEN Droped the Magazine which was loaded. I had chambered a round not even realizing it during my safety check. It just one millisecond of distraction that I didn't even realize ,or record in memory, and I cuased a negligent discharge that could have killed someone, myself, and or or sent me to prison. Just like that. You become so familiar with a routine even a safety check the familiarity and comfort you have with your gun can become your worst enemy.

I was like you, thinking I am too smart too safe for that happen. Before today I would have sneered at this post- what a moron, that wold never happen to me. Nope. You can never be too smart, or too safe when it comes to guns. I am restructuring my safety protocol.. now it's double check tripple check, multi-rack and pinky check. You can never be too smart or too safe.
    And of course you turned yourself in to the police for a negligent discharge.....let us know what the wife said when she came home, will you?

Thanks for sharing. From this day forward, I will dry fire only in my backyard. It backs up to a national forest with a few hundred yards of trees to act as barriers.
    Luis

"Everybody's got a plan, 'til they get hit".

Mike Tyson

Quote Originally Posted by Chase127 View Post
    Not likely to happen to me since i don't own a glock but thanx for the safety reminder anyway you can never be too careful
    What?
    Luis

"Everybody's got a plan, 'til they get hit".

Mike Tyson

Thanks for sharing and welcome to the forum.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

It sounds as if you were too eager to futz with the new toy and thought you had the situation under control. It happens to a lot of us. I only had it happen once...no I didn't fire off a round, but I loaded a round when I thought I was inspecting the chamber for "empty". I was going some where and before I walk out of the house I check to make sure nothing in the chamber. I get into a lot of trouble on this forum because I don't like keeping one ready to go bang. My routine is to drop the mag first, slide the action next and look into the chamber...nothing. Then I flip it upside down and look into the magazine chamber and rack the slide again, give the pistol a bit of a shake to see if something falls out. Then I aim at the sofa or bed, depending on where I am at, pull the trigger. If nothing goes boom the gun is empty. I load the magazine back into the pistol and go on my way.

Just one other question or statement...I bet you didn't even know you had to go to the bathroom!

Quote Originally Posted by Luis50 View Post
    Thanks for sharing. From this day forward, I will dry fire only in my backyard. It backs up to a national forest with a few hundred yards of trees to act as barriers.
    Serious question, because I have a bad history with Airborne units and negligent discharges.....did your unit dry-fire during excorsizes? Is that where you getting this from? Because the big Army taught m that the only time you pull the trigger when not trying to fire is during a functions check or clearing the weapon. We would never, ever dry-fire during a drill, ever.

I suggest you stop dry firing before you kill someone with your next mistake.
    STLRampage likes this.

NCG
    Wow. Scary stuff. Glad no one got hurt.

GFL...... first off, welcome to the fourm. That was one heckuva first post too!

Quote Originally Posted by ArmyMan View Post
    ....let us know what the wife said when she came home, will you?
    This was actually my second thought after reading this.

Bad event but nobody got hurt thankfully. Mistake ID'd, changes made to your SOP, application of changed OP's and your state of mind/thinking while clearing your firearms. Hard lesson learned but a positive outcome after the fact. Thank you for sharing this not-so-good event with us as a lesson for all of us to take heed to.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Quote Originally Posted by STLRampage View Post
    It's worth it to me.

Never dry fired a gun in my home and never will. To each his own.
    The problem was complacency, not dry firing. The same thing could have as easily happened to the OP when pulling the trigger for disassembly of his Glock for cleaning.

His post is a good reminder to keep your head in the moment when clearing your firearm. Drop the mag first then eject the remaining round. Reversal of that procedure spells disaster whether field stripping or dry firing a Glock.
    ccw9mm, darbo and zacii like this.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    It's almost sure to happen, if the magazine isn't ejected prior to closing the slide and then following that with a pull of the trigger. It'll result in a chambered round in any semi-auto pistol I can think of.
    Exactly. This is no fault of the gun being a glock. It did exactly as it was designed to do, as well as any other semi-auto. A round was chambered and the trigger was pulled. They're all designed to do that. The op made a mistake. One that could have serious consequences.

I'm glad no one was hurt!
    miller_man, darbo and msc8127 like this.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Thats why I check the chamber several times even after dropping the mag etc. before I dry fire my gun
    Yep, I even like to set the gun down and pick it up again and check a second/third time with eyes + finger in empty chamber.

Glad no one was hurt, thanks for sharing. These are scary to read but REALLY good reminders you can never be too careful.
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Thats why I check the chamber several times even after dropping the mag etc. before I dry fire my gun

Check the chamber several times.
    Rack the slide several times.
    The ol' finger-in-the-chamber technique.

Multiple tests can't hurt. I've never relished the idea of having to walk over to Mrs. Johnson to explain how I put a bullet into her 3yr old child's head from my living room. Anything to avoid that sort of thing ... no matter what it takes.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

This is one of the very reasons some people (and agencies) like magazine disconnects. I don't like them personally, but I can understand why some do.

I will agree with the advice above - drop mag, lock slide open, check the chamber visually AND by sticking your finger in there. Now - check it again. If you are handing the gun to someone else, demand that they check it as well for themselves.

Remember the old adage - "Measure twice; cut once." Applies here too.

Glad no one was hurt. How's your hearing, OP?

PS - Another tip is to do an ammo inventory. Count up all the ammo in the mag and the one that was in the chamber. Make sure all your ammo is accounted for. Another way to be sure there is none in the chamber.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links