Negligent Glock Discharge- "It Can't happen to me". - Page 3

Negligent Glock Discharge- "It Can't happen to me".

This is a discussion on Negligent Glock Discharge- "It Can't happen to me". within the Basic Gun Handling & Safety forums, part of the General Firearm Discussion category; It's easy to get complacent...thanks for the post and important reminder....

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: Negligent Glock Discharge- "It Can't happen to me".

It's easy to get complacent...thanks for the post and important reminder.

Distinguished Member
    Authoring that post had to have been painful. I catch myself checking behind myself often and then wonder why. I guess you just answered that question. Thanks. For what it's worth, the installation of a new add-on to your weapon has distracted folks before.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Thats why I check the chamber several times even after dropping the mag etc. before I dry fire my gun
    +++ on this, as well as rack the slide at least twice.
    "Sooner or later we all must die. Warriors choose to do so on their feet, standing between their enemies and those they hold dear. With a weapon in their hands. Cowards choose to do so on their bellies. Unarmed."

- Dave Gell

Quote Originally Posted by glockforlife View Post
    CPL holder here who owns several glocks and shoots about 1,000 rounds a month at the range. I, like most of you scoffed at the stories of negligent Glock Discharges believing I am too smart, and too careful for that to ever happen to me.
    Well it just did today- and in my own home. As a part of self penance and to use this as a learning aid for others here is my story.

I was like you, thinking I am too smart too safe for that happen. Before today I would have sneered at this post- what a moron, that wold never happen to me. Nope. You can never be too smart, or too safe when it comes to guns. I am restructuring my safety protocol.. now it's double check tripple check, multi-rack and pinky check. You can never be too smart or too safe.
    Welcome to the forum glockforlife.
    You've given a sobering reminder to all of us who handle guns. Luckily no one was hurt.

Excellent message. Thanks for posting.

Distinguished Member
    I always like to remove the magazine in one room and check the chamber. Then move to the room (leaving live ammo and loaded magazines in the other room) I'll be dry firing in and check the chamber again, and once again for good measure.
    "I got a lot of problems with you people!" - Frank Costanza

Welcome. Thanks for the gut check. It is VERY easy to be complacent at times. We need the constant reminder that complacency is our enemy. Good that you followed the safety rule of not aiming at anything you are not willing to destroy. How many time have we heard "I thought it was unloaded" just before someone got shot. When I dry fire, all magazines and rounds are in the house and I am in the back yard dry firing while aiming at the tree in my yard with the the empty field behind my house as the back drop.
    No trees were harmed in the construction of this post. However a large number of electrons were indiscriminately aroused.

Re: Negligent Glock Discharge- "It Can't happen to me".

Quote Originally Posted by wmhawth View Post
    The problem was complacency, not dry firing. The same thing could have as easily happened to the OP when pulling the trigger for disassembly of his Glock for cleaning.
    Had he not been dry firing he wouldn't have shot his house. (Yes hypothetically it could happen while he was tearing it apart but that was not the situation.)

Not chastising him btw, just explaining my stance on dry firing. I have 2 carry guns that do not require a trigger pull to disassemble to further avoid the possibility for accidents. (Again me being extra cautious.)

Senior Member Array highvoltage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder71 View Post
    That's why I have a hard time with those who say the only safety they need is between their ears.

Glad you're ok.

Tapatalk - Helping people post from bathrooms since 2009.
    I usually say the last safety is between your ears. But I'm curious, in this particular incident how would any additional safeties have prevented the gun from firing?
    yz9890 and zacii like this.

Scary situation! I'm glad no one was hurt.

Glad no one was hurt. Something to look into is a training barrel ($15) - of course, you still would've needed to dry fire to install it. Thanks for sharing and giving everyone a reminder.

Thanks for the post, Its not easy to admit when we make a mistake, but your mistake may save someone someday.. Glad you are alright!

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    It didn't happen because it was a Glock, or any other make or configuration--it happened because of a mis-step, nothing else. A hard lesson learned.
    blitzburgh and zacii like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Gun + Bullets = Bang!

Anytime you pick up a gun there is a chance that it will go bang. Luckily you were pointing it in a direction that did not endanger others.

If you follow Cooper's Four Basic Rules, you should be able to at least avoid shooting something you really don't want to shoot.
    1. All guns are always loaded. Even if they are not, treat them as if they are.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy. (For those who insist that this particular gun is unloaded, see Rule 1.)
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger till your sights are on the target. This is the Golden Rule. Its violation is directly responsible for about 60 percent of inadvertent discharges.
    4. Identify your target, and what is behind it. Never shoot at anything that you have not positively identified.
    I am very paranoid of this too. Thanks for taking the time to share, I don't think we can have too many reminders of what happens, and the law of unintended consequences.
    Last edited by NiceAsh; October 26th, 2012 at 01:12 PM. Reason: spelling

This has not yet happened to me, but the way i learned to safety check my weapon was drop the magazine, rack the slide, visually inspect the chamber, pinky into the chamber (finger f**k it), point in safe direction, dry fire.
    I also always put the loaded magazine and the one that was in the chamber into the closest drawer near me before dry fire practice.
    I practice all this at the range as well when the range goes cold, everything except for the magazine/one in the chamber into a drawer, at the range they both go into
    my back pocket, and slide stays locked open.

Glad everyone was okay and nothing more than your feelings got hurt!
    I would add physical inspection of the chamber to your safety checks!

VIP Member
    Wow, that's quite a first post to our little forum! Glad you and yours are all OK. Guns are, by purpose, dangerous items. When we allow our mind to be anything but fully focused on the task at hand bad things can happen. It isn't just you, it could happen to anyone at any time.

My personal method for dry fire is a little different. I drop the magazine, visually and physically inspect the chamber to ensure it is clear. Then I take all ammunition into a different room. When I come back the pistol has been out of my physical control so I once again visually and physically inspect the chamber to ensure it is clear. When I see an empty chamber and feel an empty chamber I'm good to go since there is no ammunition in the room. If at any time I do anything other than dry fire (answer the phone, talk to the wife, pet the dog, anything) I once again inspect the chamber to ensure it is clear. Even with all of that I know it is possible to have a mental screw up so I dry fire only when following the other rules- ie. I never aim a gun at something I'm not willing to shoot. In my case the back wall of my laundry room is a cinder block wall. On the other side of that wall is the backyard (which happens to be a mountain sloping up) and some woods beyond my home. On the wall I have a safe direction pad to help ensure that nothing exits the home.

Dry fire is important. In the Marine Corps we devoted a week to dry fire in boot camp. Some units in the FMF continued to do this every year before rifle qualification. I have never met a competent trainer that didn't preach dry fire as being fundamental to marksmanship. I personally do not believe one can be fully ready to us a weapon unless dry fire is a regular part of your life. Most of us simply don't have the time or money to send a couple hundred rounds down range each and every day. However I can step into the back portion of my house and practice presenting from my holster, sight alignment and sight picture, trigger press, and all the other fun things we learn as we are taught basic marksmanship. It also helps to eliminate the need to spend as much time on the basics when I do go to the range for my weekly sessions.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links