Negligent Glock Discharge- "It Can't happen to me".

This is a discussion on Negligent Glock Discharge- "It Can't happen to me". within the Basic Gun Handling & Safety forums, part of the General Firearm Discussion category; Like others have said, glad no one was hurt. Always physically check the chamber with your finger on top of visually. I always rack once, ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: Negligent Glock Discharge- "It Can't happen to me".

Like others have said, glad no one was hurt.

Always physically check the chamber with your finger on top of visually. I always rack once, then rack and lock the slide, insert a finger, and then look.

2. Remove Ads

How it happened.

I had dry fired hundreds upon hundreds of times since owning glocks. Immediately before the ND happened, if you had stopped and asked me if I had properly cleared the weapon, I would have bet you a million dollars I had- I was that sure. But like I mentioned, for a millisecond my brain went from conscious to autopilot doing the safety check and I racked and inspected BEFORE dropping the map. And that is what surprised me, just how fallible the brain is. You often put your brain on autopilot each day, driving, putting sugar in your coffee.. but when it comes to a sequence like clearing a gun that MUST be done in proper order if you let your brain slip into autopilot you can get them out of order without realizing it. That's what happened to me.
    And the reason I allowed my brain to slip into autopilot was I had done safety checks thousands of times always CONSCIOUSLY of each and every step. But this one time, while admiring my new laser For just a 1/10 of a second I let my brain slip into autopilot as I "multitasked"- clearing the gun and thinking about the laser. That's all it took to make a mistake that could have been fatal. It is incredibly sobering to realize how easily a mistake can be made with complacency.

By the way because some of you are wondering.. the sound didn't make my ears ring at all. In fact it didn't sound any louder to me then a paper bag. I think the shock of it somehow dulled the senses.

As a follow up to this post,
    Now.. I at least double check and include sticking my finger in the mag well, then double racking and repeating and forcing it to be a focused and conscious action.My new force of habit is not merely the safety check but the act of making it a conscious and deliberate thought out process each and every time.

That is the advice I would give.. make sure you double check through your safety check and do whatever it takes to make it a conscious action. Each and every time you pick up your weapon for handling. All it takes is one time letting your brain slip to autopilot and you could kill someone. It's that serious.

I unload in a way that forces that not to happen. I almost did the exact same thing once, so I came up with a kinda childish way, but it's a way to keep it in order. I drop the mag on the counter and then turn the pistol sideways and rack the round out so it falls on the mag itself, then look inside (I like to point the muzzle at a light source too, if I see rifling looking back at me, I know the chamber is clear, and I can turn the grip towards the same light and see four walls looking at me).

Glad no one was hurt. So what round were you using (for curiosity's sake)?
    As we used to teach in the spook business, carry a 25 if it makes you feel good, but do not ever load it. If you load it you may shoot it. If you shoot it you may hit somebody, and if you hit somebody - and he finds out about it - he may be very angry with you. -- Jeff Cooper

Federal 124grain HST.. went through 2, 3/4" cemetboard (I have an older home with thicker drywall), and into the kitchen cabinet (from the back side) and took out multiple drinking glasses. The Jacket separated somewhere in the wall stud but I recovered core in cabinet. However The pressure of the shattering glass actually blew open the cabinet door and hundreds of glass fragments came out of the cabinet like a blunderbuss.

Hiding behind a wall for a 9mm hst round is not cover at all.

Well that's good to know, since I use 147gr HST.haha

Also good to know since I have 3/4" drywall.

Wanna test out the 147gr for me? hahaha

And 3/4" doesn't mean old, it just means quality. Better for hanging and such, but more expensive and harder to work with.
    As we used to teach in the spook business, carry a 25 if it makes you feel good, but do not ever load it. If you load it you may shoot it. If you shoot it you may hit somebody, and if you hit somebody - and he finds out about it - he may be very angry with you. -- Jeff Cooper

Why not use a stack of phone books as a backstop for dry-firing? If you are going to break rule number one(a temporary lapse can happen to anybody), then at least follow rule number two.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Look on the bright side. Nobody was hurt, (yourself included) you'll never do that again, & you get to go shopping for a new set of dishes and some drywall compound.
    Don't beat yourself up over it.
    That accomplishes nothing.
    Learn from it. I'm certain that you already have. Hopefully others here will learn from it also.
    Put it in the past...and move on.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Reminders are always a good thing. Glad it wasn't worse.
    Quote Originally Posted by armado View Post
    Thanks for the reality check. If it can happen to you, it can happen to anyone.

^^^^^^^^^^This^^^^^^^^^^^

{Thats the ONLY word I'm gonna say on this post}.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

The good news no one was injured. Sharing your experience is a great reminder for ALL of us. Thanks for sharing.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144

Ruger owners check our sister forum http://rugerpistolforums.com a great site to share and learn about your Ruger pistols.

Some guns have magazine safeties, so you need the mag in to drop the hammer. The Ruger 22 is especially tricky because there is no hammer. I always point all my guns at an outside wall when I pull the trigger. The only time I feel safe is when I see the slide, barrel, and frame in seperate piles on the table.

Negligent Glock Discharge- "It Can't happen to me".

Follow 4th commandment & with the Glock always check 4 round in chamber, remove magazine, check 4 round in chamber & finally verify no magazine present.

You were lucky it went as well as it did!

I have seen many of these stories and i am real cautious of an AD. I typically cycle the action of any gun multiple times after dropping the mag and checking to see if its clear.

I am sure that was a terrifying experience once you realized the gun actually went off. Glad everyone is ok and the only damage was material and perhaps a little pride.

I appreciate you being humble enough to share the experience on this board so that the rest of us can be reminded that our "toys" aren't really toys. It's imperative to have multiple verifications whenever unloading/clearing or deciding when it's safe to shoot.

Thanks glockforlife
    “There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.”
    ― Albert Einstein

I had something happen "once" to me..... and since then, I check the gun religiously 3 times..... that it's clear.

I had cleaned a gun, disassembled it and put it back together. I always do a dry fire check..... when I was about to do it.... a "thought" hit my brain...... "check that gun one more time to be sure" . Out jumped a round when I racked it..... I was stunned. I realized I had put them mag in and racked it..... and then had the thought, "oh , I need to dry fire check this" ...... and removed the mag but not cleared the gun. I was very glad I rechecked the gun "one more time".

I now take ALL ammo and mags literally out and keep them in a completely different room than the gun when I clean them. Then , when I go to do a dry fire...... I check that chamber at least 3 times to make absolutely certain I haven't missed a thing. Even then, I aim it at something I know would stop a bullet if one were in the gun and it fired.

Now ... I have also gone to using a snap cap in all guns..... and making sure it's a snap cap in the chamber, so it's a 2nd check that a live round can't be in there.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

VIP Member
    Better buy the misses something REALLY nice. She is probably none too happy at the moment.

Re: Negligent Glock Discharge- "It Can't happen to me".

A timely, although unfortunate, reminder to be extra careful during dryfire practice.

This could've happened with any pistol, or rifle for that matter. The fact that it had no external safety, or that it was a Glock, is completely irrelevant.

Sent from my Galaxy S2
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links