Using a New "Hammerless" Pistol

This is a discussion on Using a New "Hammerless" Pistol within the Basic Gun Handling & Safety forums, part of the General Firearm Discussion category; Hi all. New member to this site. I have a question. I have owned only 4 handguns in my life. I have only 2 now. ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By QKShooter

Thread: Using a New "Hammerless" Pistol

New Member Array captainhooky52's Avatar

Hi all. New member to this site. I have a question.

I have owned only 4 handguns in my life. I have only 2 now. An Older Bersa .380 Auto and a S&W SW9VE 9MM. I like to shoot each gun even though the .380 feels very small in my large hands. I however, after owning (Years ago) a Taurus 9MM which had an external hammer AND safety switch, am now using the S&W 9MM as my concealed carry weapon. The fact that this new pistol has no external hammer and or safety, has me a bit nervous. Growing up being around pistols that always had an external hammer where one could always see if the gun was ready to "FIRE" (by seeing a cocked hammer) or if the Safety was on was easy enough. NOW, with this 9VE which has neither an external hammer or a safety switch leaves me feeling a little uneasy carrying this gun with a round in the chamber ready to go. I have, however been carrying it without a round in the chamber, but, feel then that I'm really not prepared at a seconds notice to draw and fire if need be. I do have a proper rigid holster specifically made/fitted for this gun, which completely encloses the trigger guard, which "Theoretically" should prevent any accidental or unwanted discharges, but, still feel a little intimidated by this. Can anyone out there calm my fears and talk me into not being so nervous about this? I mean, I'm sure there are thousands and thousands of others out there carrying the same type of weapon with no qualms at all... right? Am I just being paranoid?
    Any insight would be appreciated folks.

VIP Member
    Does this one have a striker which protrudes from the back end of the slide? I've a Smith which is striker
    fired, has a decocker, is DA/SA --- but you can always tell if the thing is in SA mode because the
    the striker is colored red, and is clearly visible. When decocked, the striker disappears and the gun is in
    the DA mode. No way that will fire accidentally with the trigger distance and weight involved.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Nope... No Striker. This pistol is a SA and as such, the 1st trigger pull is much harder then the subsequent ones. I would love to have this changed to have all trigger pulls to be the same. A good gunsmith should be able to do this right? As far as me being "Nervous" about carrying this gun with a round chambered, I guess I will just have to get used to it as I get more and more comfortable with the gun. I'm sure that the more I handle the gun and fire it at the range, it will be only natural that I will be more comfortable. I guess the best safety in the world would be a CONTROLLED TRIGGER FINGER!

Senior Member Array Kimberpackn's Avatar
    Your pistol will only fire when the trigger is pulled so don't pull the trigger until you intend to shoot. I say this over simplified statement to say that as long as you have it in a holster that protects the trigger from being pulled accidentally you'll be fine.
    We should not forget that the spark which ignited the American Revolution was caused by the British attempt to confiscate the firearms of the colonists. -

Patrick Henry

Administrator
    Copied from your 9VE User Manual.

Smith & Wesson handguns are reliable and safe to use when
    the basic firearm safety rules are followed. There are a
    number of internal safety mechanisms within the
    lockwork of the handgun which ensure that the firearm will
    not discharge unless the trigger of the handgun is pulled.

That is one reason why it is important to never modify or
    alter your firearm. Before you use your handgun, you
    should be fully familiar with its operation.

Thanks for all the reply's folks. I appreciate all of your responses. I guess most handguns that are / were manufactured in the recent past or future will be of this type (W/O external hammer or safety).

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    And it's said to be a DAO action.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by captainhooky52 View Post
    Nope... No Striker. This pistol is a SA and as such, the 1st trigger pull is much harder then the subsequent ones. I would love to have this changed to have all trigger pulls to be the same. A good gunsmith should be able to do this right? As far as me being "Nervous" about carrying this gun with a round chambered, I guess I will just have to get used to it as I get more and more comfortable with the gun. I'm sure that the more I handle the gun and fire it at the range, it will be only natural that I will be more comfortable. I guess the best safety in the world would be a CONTROLLED TRIGGER FINGER!
    The SW9VE is double action only and is striker fired. I have a SW9V since 94 and never had an issue with it. Read your manual.

Links