Fess up...Accidental discharge - Page 3

Fess up...Accidental discharge

This is a discussion on Fess up...Accidental discharge within the Basic Gun Handling & Safety forums, part of the General Firearm Discussion category; Originally Posted by jhoff310 who has had an accidental discharge? I did lastnight. I was going thru the motions of drawing my spare weapon. (I ...

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Like Tree210Likes

Thread: Fess up...Accidental discharge

Quote Originally Posted by jhoff310 View Post
    who has had an accidental discharge?
    I did lastnight. I was going thru the motions of drawing my spare weapon. (I put my weapons away empty, my friend used it at the range last) I failed to clear it and shot thru my kitchen wall. I know I should have double checked, but I took it for granted. Lesson learned...scared the hell out of me...Im just thankful nobody was injured.

Jeff
    Most of the people I know that have ADd at home were dry firing... and all but two of them pretty much have the same story. They unloaded, go through their DF drills, load up but don't put the gun up, have a brain fart and go back to DF drill mode. I have yet to AD, but I know it can happen. Complacency is usually the culprit.
    TY54712

Quote Originally Posted by jhoff310 View Post
    who has had an accidental discharge?
    I did lastnight. I was going thru the motions of drawing my spare weapon. (I put my weapons away empty, my friend used it at the range last) I failed to clear it and shot thru my kitchen wall. I know I should have double checked, but I took it for granted. Lesson learned...scared the hell out of me...Im just thankful nobody was injured.

Jeff
    Yea, twice. Now we have four kids instead of two! Duh!

But we LOVE 'em all... :)

LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(
    Where is the wisdom that we have lost in knowledge?" T.S. Elliot

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Simonsay View Post
    Most of the people I know that have ADd at home were dry firing... and all but two of them pretty much have the same story. They unloaded, go through their DF drills, load up but don't put the gun up, have a brain fart and go back to DF drill mode. I have yet to AD, but I know it can happen. Complacency is usually the culprit.
    I had mine while re-holstering, and muscle memory combined with carelessness was to blame.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

I did forget to say welcome to the forum and I do admire stepping up and admitting. No apology for my stance on the AD issue though. Be thankful you're only getting your balls busted on an internet forum and not in this guys shoes:
    Family seeks justice for teen shot accidentally :: WRAL.com

I can relate a funny (kinda) story about a negligent discharge while holstering. At the Federal Law Enforcement Training Center in Brunswick, GA, with a basic agent class (U.S. Customs) at the firing range. This class was nearing the stage of training where they'd be required to qualify with their weapons, and those that didn't qualify, would be washed out of the training, and lose their jobs.

One agent (who will remain nameless) accidentally/negligently shot himself in the right buttocks, while holstering his assigned pistol (S&W 6906). Bullet just grazed his butt, but he was bleeding pretty bad, and all the safety measures in place were executed, and he was treated and released to come back to class.

Later that day, when I spoke to him about the incident, which he was greatly embarrassed about of course, when he lightened up for a minute and said "Sir, At least I shot the SOB that shot me". I about rolled on the floor laughing. This gentleman went on to have a long and productive career as a U.S. Customs Special Agent.

Be safe.
    " But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself... Baa." Col. Dave Grossman on Sheep and Sheepdogs.

VIP Member
    Many years ago after cleaning my Bersa 22 and prior to inserting the magazine I dropped a round into the chamber and thumbed off the slide release. It is unbelievable just how loud a 22 can be when it unexpectedly fires. Had a gunsmith check it and found out it had a bad firing pin spring.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Distinguished Member Array Exacto's Avatar
    Don't need to say anything, getting the sh-- scared out of you can be a good teacher.
    Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunder bolt...... Sun Tzu.

The supreme art of war is to defeat the enemy without fighting........ Sun Tzu.

VIP Member
    About 5 years ago I was deer hunting with some friends in Ohio. Being new to the state I was using a CVA muzzle loader because I didn't have a shotgun suitable for the job at the time.

My CVA was an odd duck with the safety located directly behind the trigger and to deactivate the safety you would pull it to the rear just like the trigger.

While preparing to hunt I loaded up my CVA in the pitch dark and was trying to see in the dark to put the primer into the gun. As I was holding the breech of the gun withing an inch or two of my face to help me see and with the muzzle pointed straight up in the air I had the thought to make sure the safety was on. So just as I got the primer in I attempted to check the safety by cycling it (it was pitch dark). BOOM. I cycled the trigger instead. I had that gun go off an inch from my face in total blackness. It scared the be-jeebers out of me.
    KBSR likes this.
    I havenít heard any of the journalists who volunteered to be waterboarded asking to have their fingernails wrenched out with pliers, or electrodes attached to their genitals.

In my case I'm going to say the discharge was accidental but I was negligent. Took my SKS to the range a couple weeks after using it in a 3 gun shoot. I had only put about 24 rounds through it so I did not clean it before going to the range. Put the mag in pulled back the bolt and released it... Boom off it went. The round did not get fully chambered before it fired so the case expanded and wedged in the chamber had to take it to a gunsmith to get it unstuck. I don't really know but I suspect somehow the firing pin was stuck out and contacted the primer as it pushed the round into the chamber. Besides not cleaning the gun before taking it out again I was negligent in that when I released the bolt I had the gun pointing upward instead of at the berm so I launched a round into the sky.

Never fired that gun again traded it at a gun show so long ago now I don't remember on what. Now only AW is an AR15. Oh wait I think I lost that in that boating accident. That's right.
    KBSR likes this.

I have two stories....just not about me.

I had a friend who was in Law Enforcement and did lots of training of officers. He had finished a class and was putting the "props" away. He had been "burning both ends of the candle" for a few days and had stopped for a drink with the officers in the class. He grabbed the fully automatic weapon he had shown and class. His finger slipped and he set off a volley of bullets in his newly constructed rec room/office.

A couple of minutes later his wife had left HER bedroom and came down to see if he was alive or not. He never said if she was disappointed at the outcome.

The other person is someone very close to me. He was cleaning some hand guns after getting off a long shift. He was getting to the third one when it went off. Killing a air conditioner.

Both of these men are VERY knowledgeable about weapons and both are very cautious about how weapons are handled, but it only takes ONCE. I know that the incidents they experienced made a LASTING impression. You need to be "on your toes" no matter what you are doing with a weapon. DON'T FORGET THE BASICS....like treat EVERY weapon like it is loaded and ready to go.

For every person here saying, "This will never happen to me", it only takes one, short inattentive moment to make the same mistake. I think of that whenever I handle a gun.

One last story. "Back in the day" when I was working EMS, there was a local gun smith and dealer. My father knew him well and took all his business to him. He was working on a weapon and it accidentally discharged striking his adult daughter. She was D.R.T. (dead right there). The man was the biggest patient when we arrived. He was having a heart attack. Miserable incident. He recovered from the heart attack, but never recovered from the "accidental discharge" and gave up all contact with firearms and gave up most contact with other people. It only takes once.
    KBSR and PEF like this.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Quote Originally Posted by KBSR View Post
    Later that day, when I spoke to him about the incident, which he was greatly embarrassed about of course, when he lightened up for a minute and said "Sir, At least I shot the SOB that shot me". I about rolled on the floor laughing. This gentleman went on to have a long and productive career as a U.S. Customs Special Agent.
    Now that's funny right there!
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Fess up...Accidental discharge

Ill contribute... And take full blame for this one. I had just finished installing a new target trigger on my range rifle. I'm a huge fan of light triggers.. My finger is my safety. Anyways, I had just finished installing it and was testing out the trigger pull without a mag or rnd chambered. Had a buddy in the room working with me.. He felt the trigger a few times himself and handed it bac to me. I proceeded to place a loaded mag back in the rifle without chambering a round as I was about to walk right out the door to my own range... My buddy asked to see the rifle and I agreed. He picks up the rifle, pulls the charging handle( chambering a round) and pulls the trigger just as he had 5 minutes prior except this time, it was loaded.. Now both of us are no newbie to this rifle or firearms for that matter. I trusted my buddy, he spent a decade as a submariner and spent plenty of time on boarding teams. Luckily it was only us two in the shop and the round discharged through the floor and under the shop. Lesson learned, it's my rifle, those we my rounds.. Trust nothing..
    bombthrower77 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Complete with name-calling.
    To paraphrase the ever eloquent Forrest Gump..Stupid is as stupid does. Hit too close to home for ya?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pir8fan View Post
    To paraphrase the ever eloquent Forrest Gump..Stupid is as stupid does. Hit too close to home for ya?
    Not really. My Mensa membership number is 1121085, if you really want to compare IQs.
    KBSR, atctimmy, Spirit51 and 8 others like this.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Over the holidays a friend of mine had an ND at his house. Shot himself in the foot with a .45 JHP. This is a guy that has been around guns his whole life and is a gun safety advocate. When he told me he did this I didn't believe it until I saw him and later the pictures.

Huge blow to the ego...This can happen to anybody! We all make mistakes no matter how perfect we think we are!

Added: When he did this he didn't notice for about 10-20 seconds. He was standing, cleared (or thought he cleared) the weapon and pulled the trigger towards the floor. After the shot he took a few steps backwards to see where the round had hit and realized he had shot himself only when he saw it (no feel). Very little blood from entry or exit, doc says the wound was cauterized due to the close range. He was lucky enough not to hit any bones.
    Spirit51 likes this.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links