Fess up...Accidental discharge

This is a discussion on Fess up...Accidental discharge within the Basic Gun Handling & Safety forums, part of the General Firearm Discussion category; I've never had one but I'm certainly capable of making a mistake so I make every effort to focus on the 4 rules before I ...

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
Like Tree210Likes

Thread: Fess up...Accidental discharge

I've never had one but I'm certainly capable of making a mistake so I make every effort to focus on the 4 rules before I pick up any firearm.
    Spirit51 likes this.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Brass63 View Post
    I haven't had a 'negligent discharge'... but a true 'accidental discharge' with an old Mossberg pump shotgun.
    After a couple of hours of rabbit hunting...I was racking out the magazine...and it discharged (I was nowhere near the trigger).
    The gun was pointed down and in a safe direction...no harm done.
    I was probably around 20 at the time...and didn't know much about guns.
    I got rid of it. Didn't trust it anymore. The buyer was informed prior to purchase.
    Follow 'the 4 safety rules' and even a true (and extremely rare) accidental discharge will be harmless.
    My buddies moss did the same thing while we our shooting one day...finger nowhere near the trigger. It was pointed down
    Range so no harm done. Just another reason I can use to mess with him about my 870 :)

I have had one ND, it was about ten years ago. my buddy and I went duck hinting. I fell asleep in the blind, we built it in the reeds on the shore of a lake. brought in a couch, so it was nice and cumfy. when I fell aleep i had the weapon laying in my lap similar to "low n ready". I guess I started to dream about ducks coming in, and I pulled the trigger. BOOM!!! I woke up so fast, my buddy looked at me like "***?". luckly the gun was pointed down and out of the blind and no one was hurt. I did learn my lesson and now only take the safety off when I see the game coming in.
    DPMS AR-15
    Mossberg 835 Ulti-MAG
    M&P .40sw
    M&P Shield .40sw

I had one years ago. It was at a camp I had gone to as a kid. I was on the firing line and the range was hot. The rifle was a Martini style .22 target rifle. As I closed the action on the first round of the day the weapon fired. It hit the target, but not in the black.
    It turns out they had recently acquired the rifle at auction. I was the first to fire it since the purchase. The action was full of powder and residue. Probably had not been cleaned in thirty years.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

I said it before, I have never had a negligent discharge, but I will be the first to claim, I am by no means perfect! I have screwed up many other things in my life. This thread, and other reports of ND's help as a reminder for all of us to follow safety protocols every time.

I was the recipient of someone else's ND. Luckily it was a paint ball, and I took it right in the back in the kidney area. That left a bruise!

To the OP, and to others - it may have sounded like I tried to "belittle" you or sound superior, but I was not and am not superior. There have been several "firearms safety" courses where the instructors that I have witnessed, this always concerns me when people don't get a good safety course with a good instructor. Good safety training, is only a start - one simple moment is all it takes. This is why we have redundant rules. Keeping your finger off the bang switch is step 1, keeping the gun pointed in a safe direction is there as a safety measure in case step one failed.

Stay Safe, and thanks for the safety reminders.
    "Gun Free Zones" is where only criminals carry guns.

VIP Member
    I had one at the range, so fortunately there was no damage as it was pointed downrange.

Here's the detail of what happened so maybe someone will learn and not do what I did.

I was using a Sig 229 that I was not thoroughly familiar with. This has a very nice SA action.

The magazine held 13 rounds. I thought I had gone through them and that the slide was locked back
    but I was not certain. I attempted to look down without first removing my finger from
    within the trigger guard and the slight motion as I looked down and reflexively brought the gun up a tad
    caused a ND-- happily straight down range. I think part of the reason this happened, besides
    leaving my finger where it didn't belong, is that I was shooting rt handed although I can only see from
    my left eye. A person with normal vision would have readily seen that the slide was not locked back,
    whereas I had to shift the position of my head and hand to look.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Just once. Fortunately the only damage done was to my ego.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Glad no one was hurt due to your mishap. I worry about this a lot.....
    Always Fight Crime - Shoot back until it stops.
    NRA member and supporter.
    A Gun without Ammo is called a door stop.

I had a run away gun once (which counts right?) I was doing a training exercise on top of a humve and when they said cease fire I released the trigger of my m249 and it kept on firing. To make sure they knew it wasn't me being an idiot I put my hands up (gun pointed down range in a safe direction, and mounted so was fixed on a target) for a second so they could confirm (and so I wouldn't get duty every weekend for the next couple months, among other S jobs) then just broke the link and let it go through another 3 or so rounds and stopped.

Ended up being a clip in the pistol grip that made it drop down just enough that it wasn't catching the seer. Must be a common 249 issue because it happened to me another time in Iraq. I ended up carrying a couple replacements with me at all times. Got to love how weapons contracts go out to the cheapest bidder.

Nope (knock-on-wood)

My young son did though. He mis-counted the number of shots in a .38 special revolver and instead of opening the gun, he pulled the trigger!

Lucky for us he kept the barrell pointed down range... BIG lesson learned.
    US Air Force, 1986 - 2007

"To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them..." George Mason

Never...or perhaps not yet? Regardless, I'm glad no one was injured. Be safe.
    Sarge65 likes this.
    "The only thing I'm an expert about is my experience."

Fess up...Accidental discharge

I was 9 or 10 a very long time ago ;). Hunting squirrels with my .22. I saw one in a tree and muzzled my friends foot with finger on the trigger. Bang! It passed through his ankle just behind the bone. It was thankfully a clean pass through. a painful lesson.

VIP Member
    I have not, also no slam fires either. glad you are ok
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
    Wyatt Earp

I'm sorry this happened to you. Hope you learned a valuable lesson. I know we are all human and not without faults, but this is not excusable. Sorry to be so blunt, but there really isn't ANY excuse, reason or scapegoat for this incident.

GeorgiaCarry
    NRA Benefactor Life Member
    GOA Life Member
    GeorgiaCarry.org Life Member
    Defender of the 2nd Amendment
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaCarry View Post
    I'm sorry this happened to you. Hope you learned a valuable lesson. I know we are all human and not without faults, but this is not excusable. Sorry to be so blunt, but there really isn't ANY excuse, reason or scapegoat for this incident.

GeorgiaCarry
    I went back and re-read all the posts, and couldn't find where anyone asked for your forgiveness. Hope that wasn't too blunt.
    atctimmy, Spirit51, OD* and 8 others like this.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Links