Fess up...Accidental discharge - Page 6

Fess up...Accidental discharge

This is a discussion on Fess up...Accidental discharge within the Basic Gun Handling & Safety forums, part of the General Firearm Discussion category; Originally Posted by Mike1956 It appears to be the post which earned him ex-member status. Another suicide by mod....

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast
Like Tree210Likes

Thread: Fess up...Accidental discharge

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    It appears to be the post which earned him ex-member status.
    Another suicide by mod.
    OD* and bombthrower77 like this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

I've had two ADs in the 35 years I have carried firearm. Both were with .45s....one a Colt Government model...shot my bed with a hollowpoint, and the other with a Sig Sauer P220, and I won't discuss that particular AD as people I know still remember, it too.

Suffice it to say, many of us get so comfortable around firearms, we become lax. It shouldn't happen, but unfortunately, we are human.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by USM1976 View Post
    I've had two ADs in the 35 years I have carried firearm. Both were with .45s....one a Colt Government model...shot my bed with a hollowpoint, and the other with a Sig Sauer P220, and I won't discuss that particular AD as people I know still remember, it too.

Suffice it to say, many of us get so comfortable around firearms, we become lax. It shouldn't happen, but unfortunately, we are human.
    Would you explain how these happened? It is more helpful to the rest of us to hear what
    went wrong then to just know that it occurred.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Accidental Discharge-On a M240 range, I let go of the trigger but the bullets kept flying. Mechanical malfunction.

Negligent discharge-In my former life in law enforcement (before I was the legend I am today), during a firearms instruction class, I proceed to fire a round into the dirt about 2 feet in front of me as I'm bringing my Sig 9mm up to fire. No one noticed, as everyone else started firing immediately after. It was still very embarrasing AND humbling AND instructive. Keep your finger off the trigger, dummy!
    "Those are my principles, and if you don't like them...well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

Oh wait....I just remembered another....sheesh.... Back in the early 90's (way before the other incident I posted), I had just bought my first handgun, a Glock 19. I had just come back from firing it for the first time. As I sat in my car, I wondered "Hmmm....did I clear it?" So, like a true prodigy, I take the gun out of it's case on the seat next to me....and I proceed to pull the trigger....with the barrel pointed right inbetween my two feet. BAM! Right into the floorboard. Right inbetween my feet. Talk about feeling stupid. Wow...I hope I don't suddenly remember any other incidents! It really sucks remembering all this....but it's good to remember some of the dumb things you've done to ensure they don't happen again.
    "Those are my principles, and if you don't like them...well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

The operator is the best and worst part of the gun as a cybernetic system.

It's also good to remember that shame is a good thing when it provides powerful motivation. The consequences are way too high to let ourselves (or each other) off easy when this happens.

(Incidentally, I feel the same way about DUI. I've got zero grace for it. I'm a fan of huge fines, jail time, possible attempted manslaughter charges and mandatory permanent loss of license for first offenses.)

Im glad to see im not the only one..Glad everybody was safe and no major injuries resulted.....I still cant believe I did something so stupid....lesson learned

Jeff
    bombthrower77 likes this.

As someone relatively new to guns I appreciate reading the stories on this thread. They remind me that I have check and check again because even experts make mistakes. When the gun is pointed somewhere safe the error may be embarrassing and sometimes a bit expensive. When it is pointed somewhere unsafe a mistake (accident/negligent) can be tragic.

Thank you for sharing.
    commonground and Wolf357 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit51 View Post
    That is probably for the best. Those attitudes bring out the worse in the entire forum.
    Yep; too bad about that...some people just ask for it. Bye Bye.

Never.

As long as nobody was injured and you've learned something, it isn't entirely a bad thing. Just don't do it again. XD

Senior Member Array xsigma40cal's Avatar
    Clear,clear, and clear again. Having said that, yeah, Ive made a trip to Menards for wall plaster in the past.
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly, is to fill the world with fools.--->Herbert Spencer

Springfield xd 45, Sig Sauer SP2022(9mm),Remington 700(.308), Yugo M10 variant w/IZH Kobra optic,...and lots of ammo for all of 'em.

None yet. hope there never is...
    I Love Guns!!!

Was going to start a new thread but found this one.

Timely post. Just happened today for the first time in 30+ years of firearms. I went and picked up a new HK earlier today for an early birthday present to myself. I came home with it and cleaned it, and went through a bunch of dry fires to figure out my finger placement. Sat it down on the dining room table to go answer the phone. Came back and stupidly, carelessly picked up my similarly-sized HK carry gun that was next to the new gun and continued my "dry" firing.

The round hit and gouged the dining room table (solid oak) and bounced into the solid oak window casing a couple of feet away. It it ricocheted and landed two feet to my left. Found the case in a plant on the other side of the room. Ears ringing, I sat down at the table, unloaded my carry gun and sat shaking for a good 20 minutes recounting what happened.

I have taught quite a few people proper firearm safe handling techniques and am generally quick to point out errors both with both friends and strangers. I've been shaken by this and have a new appreciation for the ease by which a simple mental slip while in the possession of a loaded weapon could cause property damage, injury or death. Thankfully, I am a quick learner. It won't happen again.
    Last edited by bombthrower77; February 12th, 2013 at 10:25 PM.
    "There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." ~ P. J. O'Rourke

Accidental discharge? Nope, just thought that wall needed a peephole.

Joking aside, I never had a negligent/accidental discharge. I am very methodical with my weapon handling and usually triple check a weapon is clear before pressing the trigger. I also clear and lock the slide back on any gun I hand to someone and do the same anytime someone hands me a gun.
    Your number one Option for Personal Security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation. - Rule #23 in the USMC rules for gunfighting.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Sponsored Links