Fess up...Accidental discharge

This is a discussion on Fess up...Accidental discharge within the Basic Gun Handling & Safety forums, part of the General Firearm Discussion category; who has had an accidental discharge? I did lastnight. I was going thru the motions of drawing my spare weapon. (I put my weapons away ...

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree210Likes

Thread: Fess up...Accidental discharge

who has had an accidental discharge?
    I did lastnight. I was going thru the motions of drawing my spare weapon. (I put my weapons away empty, my friend used it at the range last) I failed to clear it and shot thru my kitchen wall. I know I should have double checked, but I took it for granted. Lesson learned...scared the hell out of me...Im just thankful nobody was injured.

Jeff
    tony1990 and bombthrower77 like this.

VIP Member
    Somebody will be along to explain to you that unless the gun malfunctioned, you had a negligent discharge. Tomato, tomahto. Clear it, clear it again, then clear it one more time before dry-firing, but now I am preaching to the choir, right? Glad no one got hurt. In answer to your question, I have.
    WHEC724 and blitzburgh like this.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Nope, not yet...

Senior Member Array palmcoaster's Avatar
    Not yet,but Im glad you brought it up. Brings my awareness back up to proper levels
    mano3 and sixgun like this.

Have had the Buck Mark go bang before I was completely on target. Making the transition from
    let's say a "normal" trigger to that ultra smooth extremely light trigger will do that. Always down
    range.
    I have "found" a live round chambered once in the .45. Reinserted the mag at the range and
    jacked the slide ... oops ... where did that come from ! The .45 was my HD gun and I neglected
    to clear the chamber when I headed to the range. That was a wake-up call.
    To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.

OK. Here goes.

I sort of "just got into guns" last Feb. I alwasy wanted a leve gun. so I found one from the Marlin owners board. I bought a 336 in 30-30.
    While cycling through about 5 rounds, cocking it then letting the hammer down slowly, I didn't know I could just "rack" it continuously, ejecting the bullet. Well, my thumb wasn't on the hammer this time. The rifle discharged, bullet went through the tail of a model airplane, through an outside wall of my hangar, through the stockade fence outside, and off into the woods.
    My daughter was in the room with me, and I have ALWAYS known and NEVER point a gun in an unsafe direction. The gun was intentionally pointed at the outside wall.

No one or no property was harmed or hurt (except the model & wall), but it certainly got our attention, and we'll never forget, for safety's sake.

You picked up a gun you didn't personally clear and inspect to make sure it was unloaded violating Safety Rule #1 then pulled the trigger,Way to go
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    I'm not going to get into the accidental/negligent discharge argument, which is pointless, but I would place that one in the "stupid" discharge catagory. Consider yourself lucky no one was hurt and a lesson was learned. Now patch the hole!
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Yup. That's all I'll say

There is no such thing as an "accidental discharge", they are NEGLIGENT discharges.
    WHEC724, DaGunny, Taurahe and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    I'm not going to get into the accidental/negligent discharge argument, which is pointless, but I would place that one in the stupid" discharge catagory. Consider yourself lucky no one was hurt and a lesson was learned. Now patch the hole!
    You just defined negligent discharges. They are the result of stupidity.
    STLRampage and Taurahe like this.

I haven't had a 'negligent discharge'... but a true 'accidental discharge' with an old Mossberg pump shotgun.
    After a couple of hours of rabbit hunting...I was racking out the magazine...and it discharged (I was nowhere near the trigger).
    The gun was pointed down and in a safe direction...no harm done.
    I was probably around 20 at the time...and didn't know much about guns.
    I got rid of it. Didn't trust it anymore. The buyer was informed prior to purchase.
    Follow 'the 4 safety rules' and even a true (and extremely rare) accidental discharge will be harmless.
    The United States Constitution 1791. All Rights Reserved.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pir8fan View Post
    There is no such thing as an "accidental discharge", they are NEGLIGENT discharges.
    There you are. I knew you would be along sooner or later.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

VIP Member
    Complete with name-calling.
    William T. Sherman

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    No, by definition they are a result of negligence.
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links