I took my daughter to the range yesterday...

This is a discussion on I took my daughter to the range yesterday... within the Basic Gun Handling & Safety forums, part of the General Firearm Discussion category; My 48 year old daughter is visiting from California. She hadn't fired a handgun in many years. Over the last few days, I gave her ...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 5 Post By lchamp

Thread: I took my daughter to the range yesterday...

Distinguished Member Array lchamp's Avatar

My 48 year old daughter is visiting from California. She hadn't fired a handgun in many years. Over the last few days, I gave her some pointers on a few of my guns. She dry-fired several and showed a good knowledge/grasp of safety rules, so I took her to the Police Hall of Fame Shooting Range in Titusville, Florida. She told me she had fired guns before, but after the trip to the range, she fessed up that she had only fired once before. She had fired a gun that was too big for her and wasn't too interested in doing it again.

I started her out on an old, very old, Colt Woodsman .22. She killed the bullseye.

I let her fire my wife's Sig P238, a little .380 pocket pistol. She killed the bullseye.

Next, I let her shoot my Sig P239 EDC. This is the one I carry concealed because it is a single stack 9mm and conceals easily. She killed the bullseye.

Then she fired my Walther PPQ 9mm that I OC around the house. She killed the bullseye.

I think the girl is a natural shooter. She really enjoyed firing at bullseyes and silhouettes. Now she is going home to buy herself a personal gun.

I called her hubby and he confirms that she hadn't touched a gun in many years...she's a natural. Daddy is proud. Now I have to replenish 550+ rounds of ammo. (Yeah, my wife was shooting, too.)

Daughter has asked to go shooting again before returning home.

BOTTOM LINE: If you want your kids to enjoy shooting, don't start them out on your .44 Magnum.

And take them before they're 48 years old. Better late than never though ...

Quote Originally Posted by 91wm6 View Post
    And take them before they're 48 years old. Better late than never though ...
    Oh yeah. Long story there...

I started taking my 2 daughters when they were 6 and 9. Now they are 14 and 17 and in to their own things, plus it is not as cool to hang out with Dad as much. Anyway, I hope they come back around, because they both loved to shoot when they did it and I enjoyed shooting with them. Hopefully before they are 48.
    No trees were harmed in the construction of this post. However a large number of electrons were indiscriminately aroused.

lchamp, thank you for re-introducing shooting, in your view, your daughter but in my view, another Californian. We can use all of the help we can out here when it comes to public opinion of firearms. It's nice to see that she has now learned that there is a difference between them and not all of them have to be intimidating. You may have shown her something that she sees as fitting to her and could possibly get her thinking. And I agree with you 100% that if you truly want to teach someone about shooting, not to start them off with a cannon.

If you don't mind me asking, what part of CA are they from?
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Quote Originally Posted by mprp View Post
    If you don't mind me asking, what part of CA are they from?
    Central...Paso area.

Hopefully be taking my 12y and 9y granddaughters to the range this month or early next month (if it ever quits freaking snowing in Wisconsin) for their first trigger pulls. They will be using the same gun I did when I was a kid. And they will do it in the 50th anniversary year of the gun (1963 mfgr date on the rifle). And I will do the same thing my dad did for me. I will save the .22 casing from their first shot, drill a hole through it and string it on a leather lace for a necklace. I remember wearing that thing for months before I took it off.

Very cool story. Glad she was willing to give it another go. Better late than never!
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by lchamp View Post
    Central...Paso area.
    Beautiful are. Went to school at SLO.
    No trees were harmed in the construction of this post. However a large number of electrons were indiscriminately aroused.

Quote Originally Posted by lchamp View Post
    My 48 year old daughter is visiting from California. She hadn't fired a handgun in many years. Over the last few days, I gave her some pointers on a few of my guns. She dry-fired several and showed a good knowledge/grasp of safety rules, so I took her to the Police Hall of Fame Shooting Range in Titusville, Florida. She told me she had fired guns before, but after the trip to the range, she fessed up that she had only fired once before. She had fired a gun that was too big for her and wasn't too interested in doing it again.

I started her out on an old, very old, Colt Woodsman .22. She killed the bullseye.

I let her fire my wife's Sig P238, a little .380 pocket pistol. She killed the bullseye.

Next, I let her shoot my Sig P239 EDC. This is the one I carry concealed because it is a single stack 9mm and conceals easily. She killed the bullseye.

Then she fired my Walther PPQ 9mm that I OC around the house. She killed the bullseye.

I think the girl is a natural shooter. She really enjoyed firing at bullseyes and silhouettes. Now she is going home to buy herself a personal gun.

I called her hubby and he confirms that she hadn't touched a gun in many years...she's a natural. Daddy is proud. Now I have to replenish 550+ rounds of ammo. (Yeah, my wife was shooting, too.)

Daughter has asked to go shooting again before returning home.

BOTTOM LINE: If you want your kids to enjoy shooting, don't start them out on your .44 Magnum.
    Amen to the last line. I am not sure why us guys like to do that but I see it way to many times...
    I Love Guns!!!

My daughters started shooting with me when they where 6 & 8, they started on .22 rifles and hand guns, they really enjoyed it and now shoot 9mm, and have not shown any desire to shoot a larger caliber. Having said that they both recently asked to learn to clay pigeon shoot and we just joined a local club, so i hope to take them there when the weather gets better, rent a few shotguns and give it a try. I am hoping they will like it as I have wanted an excuse to get a shotgun for quite a while!!

Gary

Howdy I'm new to the forum from the inland northwest.
    Any ideas on getting my wife of 18 years to go shooting with me?

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

There are free days for women at many ranges. Maybe talk her into going on one of those days.

Perhaps you could convince her by talking to her about the importance of being a backup to you in case someone broke in or you weren't home? What are her reservations? Actually I'd start with that. Find out why she doesn't want to shoot.

Links