Never going to a range on a weekend ever again.

This is a discussion on Never going to a range on a weekend ever again. within the Basic Gun Handling & Safety forums, part of the General Firearm Discussion category; Went to the range with my dad to shoot our new HK P2000 and my SW M&P 15 . We have a year membership to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Never going to a range on a weekend ever again.

Never going to a range on a weekend ever again.

Went to the range with my dad to shoot our new HK P2000 and my SW M&P 15 . We have a year membership to Shoot Straight down here in South Florida. The negligence I seen at the range yesterday makes me want to never go back to a range, and I LOVE to shoot( I go at least once a week.

Incident 1 : Kids maybe 12-13 holding guns behind the firing line with fingers on trigger ( father handed it to them like it was nothing they were all joking around)

We moved to another lane

Incident 2: Now at the rifle range there was a guy shooting a rifle next to us and his friend was standing behind him looking down the sights of his own AR ( I thought he was going to take a shot) + more guys walked in and started unpacking their guns behind the firing line.

Basically me and my father moved two more times and each time another complete idiot pulled up in the lane RIGHT NEXT TO US , I couldn't take it any more and had to get out of there.

2. Remove Ads

The only way we are going to keep our gun rights is to grow the base of active, responsible shooters. Part of that is taking new people to the range, but a bigger part of that is teaching new (or ignorant) shooters how to enjoy a day at the range safely.

I typically don't move when someone is being unsafe, I offer a friendly suggestion, and they are almost always appreciative. It sometimes helps to follow the advice with some polite conversation or a compliment on their firearms.

If they still don't follow the rules, it's time to inform the RO.
    srings, Tzadik, MrsHB and 6 others like this.

I agree with RWPonline. It's a balance of safety and encouragement. But helping them become responsible shooters is a good way to lead by example. There have been a few times when I have walked over and pointed out a problem (like not keeping the firearm pointed downrange, or walking away with a cocked and loaded pistol sitting there as they walk away for some reason (restroom, garbage can), or sticking their arms on the range to retrieve brass. The approach is basically, "Excuse me, but I noticed..." Then I will offer assistance ("I'm no expert but have had training, and these are some of the things I've learned.")

All but once this has been well received. The one time it wasn't (some younger guys who told me to "F* off and mind my own business" I just went and reported this to the RO and they were ejected and asked not to return. Maybe those people got their attitude in check before they went to a range again, you can always hope.
    Pistology, NewtownSam and saa like this.

The previous posters are spot on.

I too avoid ranges on the weekends because it is amateur hour and you get everthing from people who are safe, to those training others who aren't safe and the dreaded macho man who has brought his scantily clad girlfriend in open toed footwear and low cut shirt (perfect for catching hot brass and the resulting freak out and gun waving wildly).

I don't want to be shot by an idiots "woops" moment so I only go shooting at public ranges during the weekdays during not so busy hours.
    Jaybm likes this.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

I just don't like crowds. Fortunately I have a job that lets me shoot at odd hours like Tuesday mornings where you can have most places to yourself.

Where was the RO? Our outdoor range nearby, we have at least one RO. We also have rifles at one end of the line and handguns at the other with the opening to the targets in the middle. Nice system we have. I thought most do it that way... I suppose I am wrong...

We also have to have our goggles/safety glasses on and hearing protection before we even enter the building. A nice yellow line is painted behind all the shooting lanes too. When they call range down, everyone better be behind the yellow line and every gun/rifle must be open, clear, pointed down range and gun mags and clips out of the weapons as well. Maybe you ought to make a suggestion to do this stuff... its basic safety.

At least, make a suggestion that rifles are at one end...
    Doug;}
    RSO, WA. XDMc 9mm, S&W 642CT & 442 38 sp, 1947 Savage 99 300,
    1972 Marlin 336 RC .35, 1922 Walther Model 4, 1933 Walther DSM 34, High Standard 1954 22LR

I prefer to be judged by 12 then carried by 6

Quote Originally Posted by ValterP99 View Post
    Incident 1 : Kids maybe 12-13 holding guns behind the firing line with fingers on trigger ( father handed it to them like it was nothing they were all joking around)

We moved to another lane
    ABSOLUTELY, this is a situation demanding correction and halting of the line. IMO, call an immediate ceasefire and, if there is one, get the range officer. Fooling with the trigger behind the line is bad enough; with 12-13yr old kids horsing around, though, can be a recipe for disaster. All it would take, of course, is for one forgetful moment with ammo, or one of the kids "sneaking" a round.

Incident 2: Now at the rifle range there was a guy shooting a rifle next to us and his friend was standing behind him looking down the sights of his own AR ( I thought he was going to take a shot) + more guys walked in and started unpacking their guns behind the firing line.
    This is why I prefer ranges that have iron-clad, compulsory introductory safety sessions for new members. Any public range is going to have its share of crazies. But any range worth its salt is going to have either (a) dedicated RO's and/or (b) an aggressive rules/training session related to safety and how the range operates.

Basically me and my father moved two more times and each time another complete idiot pulled up in the lane RIGHT NEXT TO US , I couldn't take it any more and had to get out of there.
    I don't blame you.

Does that range have dedicated RO's?

Does that range require an introductory safety/rules-related training session be done by all newbies to the range?
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

The range i go to i like because they have NRA instructors,who are always watching shooters.You don't follow the rules,you don't shoot.They.The only thing i don't like is ,you have to be a member to shoot a rifle.Someone asked me why,so far as the rifle goes.I told him i didn't know.Owner's business,owner's rules.
    RETSUPT99 likes this.

I know exactly what you mean unfortunately. Last time I went I had a young lady point her ppk at my face from 4 feet away as she was showing it off to her friends. No big deal though, turns out it "wasn't loaded" so I wasn't in any danger...

Distinguished Member Array Exacto's Avatar
    Get a NRA range officer shirt, an orange one, with RSO in six inch letters on the back and wear it to the range when you go shooting. When you see stuff like that, call em on it. I doubt they will question your authority. Just act like the RSO and start giving commands, they'll fall in line.
    Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunder bolt...... Sun Tzu.

The supreme art of war is to defeat the enemy without fighting........ Sun Tzu.

I won't go to public ranges any more...too many 'potential' incidents.

I pay good money to be part of a private range where the rules are strictly enforced, 80% of the 400-500 members have their RSO certification. This makes for a very safety oriented club for shooting. If anyone has to be asked more than one time about safety, they are either given a vacation or asked to leave permanently.

There is incentive to get the RSO certification as it allows use of a special range where one can practice drawing from retention on metal targets...having the RSO helps to keep individuals thinking about range safety.

My club costs makes this a very safe place to shoot.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I belong to a private shooting club. The club is open 24 hours and does not have a range/safety officer. Ignorant people don't just frequent public ranges but private clubs as well. I love to shoot and I'm not going to let someone else ruin my trip to the range. When I see unsafe behavior, I speak up and I speak up very quickly. I'm not rude but I am direct in explaining safe activities at a range. The next time you see unsafe behavior...say something. It might save your life or prevent a serious injury to someone else. good luck

Quote Originally Posted by gregnsc View Post
    The range i go to i like because they have NRA instructors,who are always watching shooters.You don't follow the rules,you don't shoot.They.The only thing i don't like is ,you have to be a member to shoot a rifle.Someone asked me why,so far as the rifle goes.I told him i didn't know.Owner's business,owner's rules.
    Quote Originally Posted by gregnsc View Post
    I shoot at a members only range, so no randoms can just come in the door and shoot a gun. They also always have an NRA certified range safety officer in the actual range during all business hours. Usually he's just a few feet away. There are also multiple security cameras in the pistol and rifle range which everybody throughout the facility can see on Plasma TV's so you always know what's going on in the range. It doesn't stop boobs or idiots from becoming members as theres no background check or pistol certification test but it helps keep them away.

Quote Originally Posted by Str8upguy View Post
    I belong to a private shooting club. The club is open 24 hours and does not have a range/safety officer. Ignorant people don't just frequent public ranges but private clubs as well. I love to shoot and I'm not going to let someone else ruin my trip to the range. When I see unsafe behavior, I speak up and I speak up very quickly. I'm not rude but I am direct in explaining safe activities at a range. The next time you see unsafe behavior...say something. It might save your life or prevent a serious injury to someone else. good luck
    I have no problem being rude to some boob whose doing something that is unsafe that could get somebody killed :) A nice pistol whip to the head should be in order for certain violations at ranges IMO. Should be in the contract that you sign that you agree to administrative punishment :)

Quote Originally Posted by StardogChampion View Post
    I have no problem being rude to some boob whose doing something that is unsafe that could get somebody killed :) A nice pistol whip to the head should be in order for certain violations at ranges IMO. Should be in the contract that you sign that you agree to administrative punishment :)
    You treat people the way you want and I'll take the high road. good luck

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links