What happens when you dont follow the rules! Graphic Pics !

This is a discussion on What happens when you dont follow the rules! Graphic Pics ! within the Basic Gun Handling & Safety forums, part of the General Firearm Discussion category; One of my sons friends shot her self in the ankle while out shooting with her boyfriend. She is going to be OK, It could ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree50Likes

Thread: What happens when you dont follow the rules! Graphic Pics !

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar

One of my sons friends shot her self in the ankle while out shooting with her boyfriend. She is going to be OK, It could have been much worse. The bullet missed the bones, tendons and artery's. Here's her FB description of what happened.

"On 4-21-13 at around 1-2 pm we were out target shooting and we were packing up to go back to the house. I was clearing my 22 long barrel pistol. I had removed the clip pulled the slider checked the barrel confirmed it was clear. I then pointed it away from myself and Eddie and myself and discharged into the ground. My pistol is a hammerless slider so it does not auto load when the clip is inserted. As I went to holster my pistol on my left hip it discharged before it made contact with the holster."

I didn't post it here to beat up on her, But to remind us all to keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction even tho we think the gun is unloaded, keep your fingers off the trigger till you are ready to fire, and know your gun [ it may not auto load when inserting a mag but it will when you discharge it!]

Stay Safe My Friends! DR
    Kennydale and scottync like this.

OUCH!!!! Glad she will be ok. It proves that gun safety is mandatory. And rule #1 presume all guns are loaded. We all need to be reminded about gun safety not just once. Keep this in mind kiddies When you go shootin. Stay safe.

Ouch indeed! A painful lesson, but it could have been a lot worse and I bet she (or anyone she shows the scar to) doesn't make that mistake again.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

I love Tiberius/Maggie.

Can someone explain what mistake she made? Or maybe I'm reading the description wrong. She cleared the weapon and simply went to holster the weapon but it discharged anyway? Isn't that a malfunction with the weapon itself?

I think she's a little confused in her description of what happened. I have a Hi-Standard .22 pistol just like that one. They work just like all other semi-automatic pistols.

If the firearm is in proper working condition, it fired because she pulled the trigger and wasn't paying attention.

Pretty impressive wound she has there. Little 'ol .22 LR's kill and maime a lot of people. I'm glad it wasn't more serious.

I think some more rudimentary safety training is recommended. I hope this little mishap doesn't dissuade her from the shooting sports.
    Last edited by Bark'n; May 5th, 2013 at 02:52 PM. Reason: typo
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by ConditionZero View Post
    Can someone explain what mistake she made? Or maybe I'm reading the description wrong. She cleared the weapon and simply went to holster the weapon but it discharged anyway? Isn't that a malfunction with the weapon itself?
    The pistol obviously wasn't cleared when it went bang. A semi-automatic pistol simply can not fire a round if there isn't one chambered. It's physically impossible to do otherwise.

She may have had it cleared at one point, but either though neglect, or lack of sound gun handling skills, she somehow chambered a fresh round in the weapon before holstering it. Then, she pulled the trigger while she was attempting to holster the pistol.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

The explanation that is given is less than clear, and makes no sense to me. If the magazine was removed as stated, then trigger pulled while pointed in safe direction, then how is it possible to go off?
    Reminds me of some of the reporting that is done in the news.
    fredg53 and BlueHawk76 like this.
    1911 when a follow up shot just isn't an option

Quote Originally Posted by ntkb View Post
    The explanation that is given is less than clear, and makes no sense to me. If the magazine was removed as stated, then trigger pulled while pointed in safe direction, then how is it possible to go off?
    Reminds me of some of the reporting that is done in the news.

Step 1
    is removing the magazine.

Step 2 is pulling back the slide to eject the round which is in the chamber.

Step 3 is visually and physically inspecting the chamber to ensure the weapon is in fact, unloaded.

If you fail to eject the round in the chamber after removing the magazine, the gun is still capable of firing the chambered round (unless there is a magazine disconnect feature) on the pistol.
    Hopyard, AZJD1968 and msgt/ret like this.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

And this is why I'm scared sometimes at the local gun range. I never know if others around me are handling their weapon safely.

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ConditionZero View Post
    She had to break at least 3 rules of gun safety to have gotten hurt.
    1 muzzle control
    2 trigger control
    3 treat every gun as if its loaded

But my guess from her description is that either she did not check as stated, replaced the mag [ with at least one round in it] before dropping the slide, Or checked and only saw one more round and discharged it in a safe direction,[ only there was more than one in the mag.] Either way the three rules above would have prevented her from getting hurt. DR
    Bark'n, Hoganbeg and GH like this.

VIP Member
    People make mistakes. And I expect after shooting yourself in the ankle the facts become muddied due to shock. Bottom line is that it is easy to make mistakes no matter how much training you have. Reminders like these are helpful. If you are thinking you *will never* have a negligent discharge then you are well on the road to having one.

Glad to hear she will recover. Hopefully she gets back on the horse soon.
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

Bad deal,but that gun could not have fired if she did as described,first of all if the "clip" was removed and the chamber was clear the gun would not have "discharged" into the ground,once she either dropped the hammer on an empty chamber,or discharged the gun into the ground then unless she pulled back the slide the hammer is not going to be cocked and able to fire.U&nless the gun is defective then the trigger has to be pulled to fire the gun,somebody needs some retraining in gun safety.
    I'm not beating her up,I've seen people including myself start getting too complacent at the range,my shooting buddy and I will let each other know if we see one or the other do something that could be unsafe
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    That's a heck of a gun that can fire after being cleared and then fire again before being holstered.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Distinguished Member Array AZJD1968's Avatar
    Remember, that is how people die. She is lucky that she was the only one injured.
    Stop whining and go do something that makes a difference!
    If you think that I may be talking to you, then I am.

I made a comment once.... strongly made... about "how dumb do you have to be " .... involving people getting into trucks with loaded rilfes. My Boss..... pulled up his pants leg (all the way up).... showing a wide scar going down his entire leg..... his comments were ... " I know, I found out the hard way, and if anyone doubts you ... have them come see me and I'll show them my scar". I felt bad then about the 'way' I said what I said, and knew I needed to phrase things differently.

Glad she's going to come out of it without other major damage to bones, etc. That hurts just looking at it.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links