Gun Fumble

This is a discussion on Gun Fumble within the Basic Gun Handling & Safety forums, part of the General Firearm Discussion category; On Saturday I was running through my usual drills. After going through the paces with my S&W 65-2 I changed holsters to run the same ...

Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By pgrass101
  • 1 Post By NH_Esau
  • 1 Post By sealteam20001
  • 1 Post By Sister
  • 1 Post By JDavisArk
  • 2 Post By StormRhydr
  • 1 Post By Kennydale

Thread: Gun Fumble

Senior Moderator

Gun Fumble

On Saturday I was running through my usual drills. After going through the paces with my S&W 65-2 I changed holsters to run the same drills with my Taurus 605.

The very first time I draw, I watch my revolver fly up though the air and land 3 feet in front of me.
    I have never had this happen to me before. I have fumbled guns when I am trying out a new holster or method of carry but have never outright thrown one when trying to draw.

I was using my Whitehat Max Tuck, I was just carrying IWB (not tucked). I use the holster and gun all of the time and they account for about 70-75% of my carry.

When I switched holsters I did not do any practice draws that I usually do to ensure that the gun and holster sit properly and that nothing snags or binds, because I was in a hurry.

What I think happened was that when I drew the first time the gun came out of the holster faster than my S&W 65-2 had done. One because the Whitehat is a much better holster than the cheap nylon IWB that I carry the S&W in and two that the S&W has a full 4” barrel.

Of course after this I spent much more time working on my draw and didn’t have any problems because I was hyper vigilant.
    The lesson I learned was that there is a very good reason I do a couple of practice draws every time that I strap on a gun. And that I need to do them whenever I switch out guns or holsters.
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Once's Avatar
    I do excatly that. I've fumbled a few times my self. Chalk it up to a lesson learned [ thats what I do] Hopefully it landed on carpet.

It might pay to practice at the end of a bed.

Count yourself blessed. At least this didn't happen in front of a very zealous NCO. You'd have spent the rest of Saturday doing pushups, frog walks, low crawls, and flutter kicks with your weapon duct-taped to your hands.

On the other hand, it's one heck of an exercise program.
    Snub44 likes this.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Once View Post
    Hopefully it landed on carpet.
    Nope in the dirt of my little impromptu pistol range that I use
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Lead Moderator
    Changing up guns can help to make things more difficult. I try to stay close to the same holster, grip angle and style of gun just to avoid mistakes. Hope you gun is ok
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    Changing up guns can help to make things more difficult. I try to stay close to the same holster, grip angle and style of gun just to avoid mistakes. Hope you gun is ok
    It's fine, just got a little dusty. I carry revolvers because the manual of arms are the same. I think that it was the barrel length and the fact that I switched after shooting the 65 for about 30 minutes straight.

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Distinguished Member Array sealteam20001's Avatar
    For what it's worth you could have been throwing Hand Grenades, that would have much different results..
    Snub44 likes this.

Distinguished Member
    Keep up the good work! So you had an off day, happens to everyone in all situations. Be proud of yourself, you are doing more than a lot of people out there in the RW!
    Snub44 likes this.
    Matthew 10:33

But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven.

~ Jesus ~

Say five John Brownings and absolve yourself from your sins before the sun rises again. Sleep well. Fumble all you'd like in your dreams, but get a handle on things in the real world.
    Snub44 likes this.

Give yourself a pat on the back for not attempting to catch your gun as it fell. Seriously.
    farsidefan1 and Snub44 like this.

...probably the weight difference...and another reason for a BUG...we're hoomin...we goof...
    Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    On Saturday I was running through my usual drills. After going through the paces with my S&W 65-2 I changed holsters to run the same drills with my Taurus 605.

The very first time I draw, I watch my revolver fly up though the air and land 3 feet in front of me.
    I have never had this happen to me before. I have fumbled guns when I am trying out a new holster or method of carry but have never outright thrown one when trying to draw.

I was using my Whitehat Max Tuck, I was just carrying IWB (not tucked). I use the holster and gun all of the time and they account for about 70-75% of my carry.

When I switched holsters I did not do any practice draws that I usually do to ensure that the gun and holster sit properly and that nothing snags or binds, because I was in a hurry.

What I think happened was that when I drew the first time the gun came out of the holster faster than my S&W 65-2 had done. One because the Whitehat is a much better holster than the cheap nylon IWB that I carry the S&W in and two that the S&W has a full 4” barrel.

Of course after this I spent much more time working on my draw and didn’t have any problems because I was hyper vigilant.
    The lesson I learned was that there is a very good reason I do a couple of practice draws every time that I strap on a gun. And that I need to do them whenever I switch out guns or holsters.

Dropped my gun on carpeted bedroom floor, thought my wife was going to dive under the bed.... I had to explain to her ONE the manual safety was on, and TWO RUGER has an internal safety that protects from discharge from dropping, I guess it works.
    Snub44 likes this.

Links