Your Thoughts on NRA Range Safety Certification

This is a discussion on Your Thoughts on NRA Range Safety Certification within the Basic Gun Handling & Safety forums, part of the General Firearm Discussion category; Having grown up around guns, particularly pistols, I had always thought I was pretty safe in handling them. In hindsight, I did some pretty stupid ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Mike1956

Thread: Your Thoughts on NRA Range Safety Certification

Your Thoughts on NRA Range Safety Certification

Having grown up around guns, particularly pistols, I had always thought I was pretty safe in handling them. In hindsight, I did some pretty stupid stuff when I was younger. Now that I'm older and there's more at risk (my family), I am consistent in what I understand to be safe gun handling. Still, my profession never involved the daily handling of guns, so I am not a "professional" with them.

While lurking, I read someone who said that most of the shooters at their private range were certified NRA range safety officers. A quick internet search revealed that there are multiple classes within driving distance of my home. Most of the classes are about a 2 hr drive (one way) for me, and the cost varies between $125 and $175.

What really got me thinking about this was reading posts where people admitted having negligent discharges (a brave thing to confess to on this forum). If people with more experience than me have had them, I'm certainly vulnerable.

What are your thoughts on the value of getting this training?

2. Remove Ads

It is good training. Very good, as long as the training counselors do there job. The scenario based training that I was put thru was a real eye opener. Keep an open mind if you attend a class. Do not get offended if you do something wrong, we all do....
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

One can never be too safe with a firearm period,, it's a great refresher cores in my opinion. Follow the four golden rules,, If you do have a ND it will be a tad less dangerous. ; )
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

VIP Member
    NRA certification runs the gamut, from stellar to joke, depending on who is conducting it.
    Exacto and redsaber75 like this.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

It's a good thing to have. I can't see any downside, other than the price you stated. That sounds pretty darn high.

Distinguished Member Array Exacto's Avatar
    I think it's a good idea. There are things you learn in these classes that pertain to the operation of the range in addition to the safe gun handling and safety issues. How to deal with unsafe and unruly shooters. Most of the people on these site are pretty familiar with safety rules and safe gun handling as it relates to them, but there are sometimes many people at a range, some very unsafe, some very unruly, and it is good to know how to recognize the unsafe things they do, and how to handle them when you point it out to them. I know I am preaching to the choir here, but safety is every shooters responsibility not only for himself / herself, but the ability to make the call on others who are not being safe. Having the training and what is perceived to be the authority can't hurt.
    Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunder bolt...... Sun Tzu.

The supreme art of war is to defeat the enemy without fighting........ Sun Tzu.

Quote Originally Posted by wester View Post
    Having grown up around guns, particularly pistols, I had always thought I was pretty safe in handling them. In hindsight, I did some pretty stupid stuff when I was younger. Now that I'm older and there's more at risk (my family), I am consistent in what I understand to be safe gun handling. Still, my profession never involved the daily handling of guns, so I am not a "professional" with them.

While lurking, I read someone who said that most of the shooters at their private range were certified NRA range safety officers. A quick internet search revealed that there are multiple classes within driving distance of my home. Most of the classes are about a 2 hr drive (one way) for me, and the cost varies between $125 and $175.

What really got me thinking about this was reading posts where people admitted having negligent discharges (a brave thing to confess to on this forum). If people with more experience than me have had them, I'm certainly vulnerable.

What are your thoughts on the value of getting this training?
    I think it would be excellent training aside from the cost. A refresher is always good for the soul. as far as "admitting" to a negligent discharge, no one should ever be afraid to share the mistakes they make. It is a great service to share experiences that other can learn from, good or bad.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

BAR
    As someone posted, it depends on the instructor. I had an excellent instructor and got a lot out of the class. I try to attend classes on a regular schedule for all types of training.

My wife and I are both NRA RSO's. We had a good instructor. It was great training, and sponsored by our shooting society.

Senior Member Array BigCityChief's Avatar
    Excellent training - well worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Retired LEO
    NRA Member

Links