Shooting with one bad eye

This is a discussion on Shooting with one bad eye within the Basic Gun Handling & Safety forums, part of the General Firearm Discussion category; I have one bad eye that cannot be corrected by an optometrist. It affects my ability to properly aim because I know I'm not seeing ...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Ghost1958
  • 1 Post By Oldpsufan
  • 1 Post By IndianaSig
  • 1 Post By Hopyard

Thread: Shooting with one bad eye

I have one bad eye that cannot be corrected by an optometrist. It affects my ability to properly aim because I know I'm not seeing things correctly. I've learned to compensate by aiming a little to the right of the target. However, in a real-world crisis, I think I'd just point and shoot my pocket-carry 9mm and not try to aim. Anyway, this might be the best I can come up with. Please feel free to give me any pointers that might help me. Thank you.

I cant give pointers really but im close to blind in my left eye its very blurry and has been for years. I quess i just got used to it because I mostly point shoot and it doesnt bother me at all. Matter of fact I dont notice it unless I close my right eye then its very noticable.
    IndianaSig likes this.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

Distinguished Member Array Oldpsufan's Avatar
    I am blind in my right eye and shoot right handed. I just move the gun over a few inches to the left, no problem. Where you'd really have a problem is if you took up archery.
    Manderinobyebye likes this.
    ďA nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.Ē
    ― Edward R. Murrow
    After all, when the Supreme Court twice comes within one vote of ruling that the Second Amendment of the U.S. Bill of Rights isnít an individual right, Americans have a right to be concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by K9Buck View Post
    I have one bad eye that cannot be corrected by an optometrist. It affects my ability to properly aim because I know I'm not seeing things correctly. I've learned to compensate by aiming a little to the right of the target. However, in a real-world crisis, I think I'd just point and shoot my pocket-carry 9mm and not try to aim. Anyway, this might be the best I can come up with. Please feel free to give me any pointers that might help me. Thank you.
    Well, I've got two fairly decent eyes. Not 20:20, but not bad enough to foul the aim. With corrective eyewear, they're pretty decent. Still, the dominant eye condition still exists, as it does for most folks: one eye is what ends up being involved in aiming. With strong eye dominance, so far as I understand it the other eye really only provides depth perception. Shouldn't affect aiming.

So. Try simply lining up the one eye to the sights and the target, and practice leaving the other eye out of the picture. Not too different from shooting with one eye closed, for the rest of us. Perhaps won't feel natural, at the beginning. But I can't see any reason why you wouldn't develop quick competency.

In my case, I'm right-eye dominant. Always have been, strongly so. And I've always shot handguns while tilting the slide/sights over to the right side a bit, and my head over to the left side a bit. It's just the way I bring the sights to the eye, and I haven't found it debilitating in the least, POA/POI-wise.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost1958 View Post
    I cant give pointers really but im close to blind in my left eye its very blurry and has been for years. I quess i just got used to it because I mostly point shoot and it doesnt bother me at all. Matter of fact I dont notice it unless I close my right eye then its very noticable.
    I could have written this as well.

The adjustment one has to make in your situation for a handgun is easily manageable, whether the bad eye is your hand side or not. The problem is when trying to shoot long guns. Even with that, a right-handed person can learn to shoot a shotgun left-handed (or vice versa) with just a little dedication and practice. I am left-handed and do nearly everything left-handed except shoot rifles and shotguns. I knocked 5 squirrels out of tall trees this past Sunday with a .410 with ease. We humans can adapt to just about anything.
    ccw9mm likes this.

VIP Member
    I have only one good eye-- the other hasn't done better than 20/80 with thick lenses since childhood.

The good eye is on the left side and the bad one is on the right, but I am a righty.

Basically this means that for aimed shots I have to either shoot lefty, or move my head. Close in point shooting
    works better.

As Janisch wrote in his knife fighting book, we have all spent a life time learning to point with our thumb. Thumb forward,
    and whether it is a knife or a gun it will point where you point your thumb-- at least at short distances.
    ccw9mm likes this.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

When I was younger and in my mid 20s I'd close my left eye and aim using my right eye. That worked pretty well for me.

I've also been wearing glasses since I was 12. When I was in my 40s I tried a little 'point shooting' and while I thought it was kind of a weird 'shooting style' I was pretty good at it. The range was close like 20-30 feet max. I was shooting a 9mm while doing this and have never tried it with a 22 or the 12G.

Now at 61 my vision is fine for driving and everyday stuff around the home front or out and about but the last time I went to an indoor range after awhile I was having a bit of trouble. Sighting down the barrel with the sights and the target the target was blurry. Or the target was in focus and the sights were a blur. Looking thru my glasses or over the top of them nothing I tried worked worth a hoot. To top it off I was shooting from about 5 and 10 yards.
    I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.
    America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.
    Give me Liberty or give me BACON!!!
    You know that look women give you when they want some sugar? Me neither

Sponsored Links