Got my first 0.177 caliber firearm today! (For training my kids)

This is a discussion on Got my first 0.177 caliber firearm today! (For training my kids) within the Basic Gun Handling & Safety forums, part of the General Firearm Discussion category; My older daughter is turning 5 soon (as in, a couple of weeks) and is showing some interest in guns, so I went ahead and ...

Like Tree7Likes
  • 3 Post By ShooterGranny
  • 1 Post By blitzburgh
  • 1 Post By gasmitty
  • 2 Post By patri0t

Thread: Got my first 0.177 caliber firearm today! (For training my kids)

Distinguished Member Array brocktice's Avatar

My older daughter is turning 5 soon (as in, a couple of weeks) and is showing some interest in guns, so I went ahead and got a Daisy BB gun today while we were picking up some other things at the store. I gave it a few tries and I can't say I'm impressed with the 350 fps velocity, but it's a good place to start, I think, at this age, and the right size for her.

She is excited about it, but it's mine, and it's living in the safe. We're going to start working on the 4 universal safety rules, then we'll work up to showing she can follow directions with no BBs in sight, and if she's following directions, then we'll move on to the real deal. And yes, I got her some safety glasses.

Any thoughts/pointers?

VIP Member
    Sounds like you've got the steps in the proper order. Some kids are ready to shoot safely at 5 years old. Others not until in their teens. Responsible parents (and you seem to be in that category) know the difference.

There is almost nothing more delightful than the giggle of a little one when she pops her first balloon! (or his)

Possibly the hardest thing you will face is teaching her the importance of never mentioning guns or shooting outside of family - particularly any place related in any way to school. This is a total bummer, but now days has to be part of the family's education of their children to keep the kids from being "expelled from kindergarten."
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================

Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

Quote Originally Posted by ShooterGranny View Post
    Sounds like you've got the steps in the proper order. Some kids are ready to shoot safely at 5 years old. Others not until in their teens. Responsible parents (and you seem to be in that category) know the difference.

There is almost nothing more delightful than the giggle of a little one when she pops her first balloon! (or his)

Possibly the hardest thing you will face is teaching her the importance of never mentioning guns or shooting outside of family - particularly any place related in any way to school. This is a total bummer, but now days has to be part of the family's education of their children to keep the kids from being "expelled from kindergarten."
    I really hated to "like" this because I definitely don't but the truth is the truth. I find it to be very, very saddening that things are the way they are now. The mere mention of a fun, safe, family outing where target shooting has taken place (or even less) could get a child in serious trouble. We've all seen the gun pop-tart and other nonsense. For me, the last straw is when the letter "L" is no longer allowed to be capitalized and the least bit tilted.
    ShooterGranny likes this.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Distinguished Member Array brocktice's Avatar
    Luckily we're in a rural area and even the hippies here have guns.

Posting from my phone, I blame all typos on Swype.

St. Louis, MO "The Most Dangerous City in America"
    File the sights off. Make her learn by point shooting. When she's 13 and on the Olympic Team she'll thank you.
    “Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." C.S. Lewis

Keep it fun, and besides paper targets, shoot at things like milk jugs filled with water, saltine crackers hung on threads, and when she gets better, maybe empty shotgun shells. I'm a little leery of cans with a low-velocity BB gun, but aluminum soda cans might be OK. And don't over-do the sessions; if her attention starts to wander, you're done until the next time. FUN is the key!
    brocktice likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

My Grandpa taught me to shoot a .22 single shot when I was down at his farm, when I as 6 years old.... then, he GAVE IT TO ME!!
    He taught me to keep the bbl down range & finger off trigger until ready. It was an old .22 rifle back then & I had to leave it at the farm.

I started my kids with a pellet rifle & got them their own at about 8-9 years old. By 12 they could all shoot my .357 off-duty 2 in revolver with .38 reloads, even the girls.
    They ALL took to it and we had some super 'quality-time' as a family.

Now, I have grandkids, but it is up to their parents. However, they can talk all they want about going shooting with Grandpa & Grandma at school.
    We live in a 'Free State' where kids don't get raised by their teachers and I'd sue 'em broke if one tried. (their schools are NOT "Gun-Free-Zones")

Grandpa the retired LEO and Grandma the retired School Admin. There are more of "US" in this Nation, than the 5% Lefty-Freaks.

Good on all the parents who are teaching their children how to shoot and avoid the irrational fears the Big-City kids have to suffer, for now.
    We are changing this in a big way. The U.S. now has more good gun owners than it ever has. That is HUGE progress.
    Oldpsufan and ShooterGranny like this.

Distinguished Member Array BurgerBoy's Avatar
    Vietnam Veteran - 1966-1970 USASA
    Carry Pistol. Gen 3 Glock 23, .40 Cal.
    Carry Pistol. Gen 3 Glock 19, 9mm.
    Bersa Thunder 9 UC Pro, 9mm. Gave To Daughter To Carry.
    Give me a minute before I post again.

Distinguished Member Array 5lima30ret's Avatar
    Good for you! This will give you some great father daughter time that she will always remember! This an excellent way to teach safety and responsibility! Nothing says a classic American Christmas like a Red Ryder BB gun!
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, NC CWP, HR-218 Qualified
    Second generation American, Third generation Legionnaire
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

Links