Thrift Store Worker Shot By Gun In Donated Sock.

This is a discussion on Thrift Store Worker Shot By Gun In Donated Sock. within the Basic Gun Handling & Safety forums, part of the General Firearm Discussion category; Wasn't quite sure where to put this.................. Thrift store worker shot with gun in donation pile - CNN.com Video...

Like Tree13Likes
  • 1 Post By GunnyBunny
  • 6 Post By DingBat
  • 1 Post By NONAME762
  • 3 Post By OldVet
  • 1 Post By molleur
  • 1 Post By NONAME762

Thread: Thrift Store Worker Shot By Gun In Donated Sock.

VIP Member

Wasn't quite sure where to put this..................

Thrift store worker shot with gun in donation pile - CNN.com Video
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

Distinguished Member Array DingBat's Avatar
    maybe totally unrelated but did i ever tell ya'll about the body armor i scored at a thrift store last holloween?

Yep, the wife and i are shopping for kids clothes and we go into the local ARC, and as soon as we came in i saw aaalllll the way in the back what sure LOOKED like a point-blank interceptor vest. told the wife i had to go and took a bee-line right for it. i figured, no way, has to be a holloween prop or something.

Nope, woodland camo Point-Blank Interceptor, my size(med). No trauma plates, but all the IIIa insterts were there, clean, and in good shape. figure somebodu forgot it was in a box, or an EX got mad, or who knows, but i scored body armor for $20. yep. $20.

best gun-related deal of my lifetime. now i get a lot more excited when we go to thrift stores, doubt it'll happen twice, but still.

bummer some moron had to put a loaded gun in some random stuff, hope the person is ok.
    Beans, Bullets, and Bandages. The only thing better than being ready is not having to use it!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DingBat View Post
    bummer some moron had to put a loaded gun in some random stuff, hope the person is ok.
    No, she died.
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

That's one of the saddest stories I've ever heard concerning someone getting shot. There was a young guy just 3 or 4 houses away from my place who was shot in the chest with a 22 rifle from 12 to 20 feet. He turned around took 3 or 4 steps collapsed and died.
    molleur likes this.
    I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.
    America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.
    Give me Liberty or give me BACON!!!
    You know that look women give you when they want some sugar? Me neither

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    There was a rash of fake vests being sold here in FL. Many LE bought them only to find out they wouldn't stop a .22. Looked just like the real things, tags and all. They were being sold (first hint) in flea markets.
    molleur, DingBat and msgt/ret like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    There was a rash of fake vests being sold here in FL. Many LE bought them only to find out they wouldn't stop a .22. Looked just like the real things, tags and all. They were being sold (first hint) in flea markets.
    Found some in a flea market near here. Appeared to be "too new" for my liking. Being sold as "surplus".
    DingBat likes this.
    "Don't shout for help at night, you may wake your neighbors"

Regarding post #2 of DingBat your story of $20 body armor has got to be one of the best scores of all time at a thrift store! Isn't Point Blank like the premier body armor made?

Twenty years ago I knew a guy who made it a practice to make a daily sweep among all the thrift stores in my town. It was like a regular religion for this guy. He knew what I was into and always was on the lookout for me. Well one day he struck pure gold. He came across a pair of Vasque heavy duty hiking boots. I'm talking about made in Germany mountaineering/hiking boots. Not made in China crapola. At the time I was getting my last few miles out of my first pair of Vasque boots I'd bought back in the early 70s. Anywho I knew these boots were worth right around $200 so I was mighty interested in the deal Dave was gonna run by me. Well as it turned out it was about the sweetest deal he and I ever made. He owed me about $10 and wanted some walking around money. So my 200 dollar boots cost me $20. I snapped that deal up. These boots hadn't even been broken in yet.

I still have those boots.
    DingBat likes this.
    I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.
    America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.
    Give me Liberty or give me BACON!!!
    You know that look women give you when they want some sugar? Me neither

Distinguished Member Array DingBat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    pretty sure mines legit. All the tags and markings are there, and those tags and markings look indentical to the pics I see online. I removed the inners to wash the carrier and those also properly marked. it has PFC. Miguel something or other sharpied on the inside, just like it would. the carry handle on the nape of the neck it just slightly torn enough from being handled...there's just enough sweat marks around the inside of the neck... I forget the indentifiers now but there were two generations of interceptor...? and mine checked out to be the newer style....

I may have fallen for a fake in the store, if the weight was there, what are they filling the fake's with a bunch of canvas or something...? but I researched the heck out of it to A) identify it and B) see what "accessories" I can get for it... I guess the only for sure test is to shoot it but then it's compromised armor....

I have already gotten a set of plates for it so either way I guess it stopped bullets, even if it's just an extra heavy padded plate carrier...
    Beans, Bullets, and Bandages. The only thing better than being ready is not having to use it!

What a stupid, pointless death. It's tough to argue against gun control friendly people advocating for storage laws when stuff like this happens.

This is a prime example of why we need strict, common sense Thrift Store control measures.

Master of the Tactical Back Flip
    Internet Gun Expert

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nortelrye View Post
    What a stupid, pointless death. It's tough to argue against gun control friendly people advocating for storage laws when stuff like this happens.
    I don't see how a storage law would have affected this outcome. If there were such a law and LEO did not perform inspections (like that's gonna fly) I guarantee you people would still put things wherever they wanted to.
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Sponsored Links