airline travel with firearm

This is a discussion on airline travel with firearm within the Basic Gun Handling & Safety forums, part of the General Firearm Discussion category; OK so I have read a lot of crap about traveling withe a firearm on a plane an I just don't know what to think. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: airline travel with firearm

OK so I have read a lot of crap about traveling withe a firearm on a plane an I just don't know what to think. I am not a competitive shooter or any thing just a basic guy (for the most part) with a ccw wanting to take it for protection to another state. I know that stuff happens sometime and I'm sure it is never good with a firearm, but any info any one can give me would be great. I am flying from Illinois (I know I know) to Orlando FL. I have read the tsa rules and there is nothing on there saying you should open your case once in the airport at any time, along with providing them a key for your lock. But I have heard people say that they have had to open them which is actually a federal crime (from what I read). So if there is any regular guys here that just travel on vacation with there ccw gun only, what is there experience they have had any any tips I should follow, along with any small recommend cases. Right now I have the Hornady single tri lock case (that is tsa approved) that I was going to use. Is there any way I can use that case and put it into one of my check bags? Sorry for such a long post I just want to make sure I'm covering all the questions I have to be the best informed. Thanks for any help
    Last edited by buckeye .45; May 3rd, 2015 at 02:59 PM. Reason: language

VIP Member
    You will be fine.

Follow your airline's guidelines and you will have zero issues. Plenty of threads here on airline travel, use the search button.

Have a great trip!
    kaikane0812 likes this.

VIP Member
    As Stoveman said just follow what they tell you and you'll be fine. I've flown with mine many times. Sometimes the individual airports do things a little different but nothing major. I've never had them do anything but ensure the case was locked.
    NRA Member
    GOA Member
    US Army Vet

I had a Delta agent make me unlock the case and rack the slide once... that was weird. But every other time it was ho hum.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Quote Originally Posted by Stoveman View Post
    You will be fine.

Follow your airline's guidelines and you will have zero issues. Plenty of threads here on airline travel, use the search button.

Have a great trip!
    Stove is correct. Get online and follow the Airlines guidelines. I have flown several times recently with zero issues. Different carriers have slightly different rules, but they ALL follow/adhere to TSA guidelines and federal law. A search of this topic here would also provide much in the way of many various experiences flying with firearms as well.

Have Fun In Florida !
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

"Sometimes when you're making gumbo, people just show up.", Leah Chase

EDC unloaded in a locked case inside a checked bag. Keep ammo in factory box inside locked case with gun. I've never had issues with TSA. Make sure you declare the weapon at ticket counter!
    GeorgiaCarry likes this.

Distinguished Member Array elmacgyver0's Avatar
    I leave my gun home when I fly.

Quote Originally Posted by elmacgyver0 View Post
    I leave my gun home when I fly.
    Why?

Distinguished Member Array Kutz's Avatar
    Just do what the airline says
    kaikane0812 likes this.
    A Wolf does not concern himself with the opinion of sheep.
    USMC Gunny, NRA Life Member, VFW
    If you don't know what your doing, Don't.

Quote Originally Posted by MWAG View Post
    EDC unloaded in a locked case inside a checked bag. Keep ammo in factory box inside locked case with gun. I've never had issues with TSA. Make sure you declare the weapon at ticket counter!
    Sage advice; I do this ALL the time. Never once have I been called back to unlock a case. The case makes it to the baggage claim office, not the regular baggage claim carousel. You have to pick it up there with ID.
    Do not put a TSA lock on it nor give anyone the key. If required, YOU will do the opening of the case.

GeorgiaCarry
    msgt/ret and techieccw like this.
    NRA Benefactor Life Member
    GOA Life Member
    GeorgiaCarry.org Life Member
    Defender of the 2nd Amendment
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Because I fly out of Boston, the potential for hassles are too great for me. The next time I go to Texas I will ship the guns through an FFL. It's a pain but at least it will happen with no hassles. I do not trust Massachusetts.
    “Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
    ~Sheriff Jim Wilson

To be a citizen you are required to stand up straight and tall as you can. To be a subject you are required only to kneel.

I fly often with firearms. I use a Pelican case with 2-3 pistols between multiple layers of foam. The case is locked and attached to the inside of a suitcase by a steel cable. I have been asked on multiple occasions to demonstrate to a ticket agent that the firearms are unloaded (different airlines and airports). I have had agents insist that magazines not be in guns, even when unloaded. Though I don't like having to do it, the hassle of complying is less than the hassle of objecting. All this takes an extra 10 minutes. It is well worth it to have my firearms at my travel destinations. Do be careful that you do not bring firearms into states with highly restrictive laws.

Senior Member Array RightyLefty's Avatar
    I use a Pelican 1170. Just the perfect size for a compact sized pistol, two mags, mag carrier and 25 rds. of ammo. Get one of the bicycle cable locks or something similar. Zip open the liner of your baggage and wrap the cable around the frame and then to the pistol case and put a lock on your baggage as well. In addition to the TSA's firearms policy, read the airline's policy as well. TSA says that ammo inside a locked case containing the firearm is fine, but some airlines don't want you to do that and want it kept separate.

Quote Originally Posted by daledoty View Post
    ..........cut) Do be careful that you do not bring firearms into states with highly restrictive laws.
    If you do find yourself diverted from your destination to a draconian state that does not allow that type of firearm, DO NOT take possession of the case. Let it be until you leave the airport. Let the airlines deal with delivery or else you will wind up in custody.

GeorgiaCarry
    NRA Benefactor Life Member
    GOA Life Member
    GeorgiaCarry.org Life Member
    Defender of the 2nd Amendment
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RightyLefty View Post
    some airlines don't want you to do that and want it kept separate.
    Yep. But it's there on the web what their requirements are. So it's pretty easy to be prepared when you go to the airport.
    Then said he unto them, "But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." - Luke 22:36

And God came down and gave unto John Moses Browning the divine knowledge of the perfect handgun. Amen.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links