"Degunning" the house

"Degunning" the house

This is a discussion on "Degunning" the house within the Basic Gun Handling & Safety forums, part of the General Firearm Discussion category; While not up to Mike1956 standards, I have a LOT of guns spread through the house. This weekend two of Nadine's and my best friends ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree50Likes

Thread: "Degunning" the house

VIP Member

"Degunning" the house

While not up to Mike1956 standards, I have a LOT of guns spread through the house.

This weekend two of Nadine's and my best friends (and their six children from ages 3-12) will be over.

Time to go through the house, take guns out of drawers, recliner arms, etc, etc, and lock them up.

J-frame in pocket for the weekend around the house and bring the nightstand guns out when we go to sleep.

A good time will be had by all. These folks are some of our favorite people in the world.
    Then said he unto them, "But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." - Luke 22:36

And God came down and gave unto John Moses Browning the divine knowledge of the perfect handgun. Amen.

My wife and I carry from the time we get dressed until we go to bed. During the day or anytime when guests or relatives with children are here, all other guns are locked in the safe.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.

U.S. Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LimaCharlie View Post
    My wife and I carry from the time we get dressed until we go to bed. During the day or anytime when guests or relatives with children are here, all other guns are locked in the safe.
    I've got a gun within arms reach of almost every place I go in the house. If not in arms reach, there's one in the room. All my kids are in college and my niece, who lives with us, is also in college. So I don't worry about much.

But yeah, little kids are different. I don't want to show up on the Idiot Gun Owner of The Day story on TTAG.

And carrying a J-Frame in lounge pants is a PITA.
    RichB70, Patti, ks kid and 3 others like this.
    Then said he unto them, "But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." - Luke 22:36

And God came down and gave unto John Moses Browning the divine knowledge of the perfect handgun. Amen.

VIP Member
    Everyone in my household is approved to handle my firearms, but I keep everything locked up and spread out in bolted-down quick access safes anyway. If someone were to break in, I want them to at least have to work to take them.

I used to disarm when I got home, but my doorbell has been getting worn out for some reason lately, so I've gotten into the habit of carrying right up until bed time.
    nortelrye, ccw9mm and molleur like this.

I have that problem when my ex niece use to visit with her kids. Not only did I have to pick up all the knives and firearms to keep her kids from getting hurt, I had to hide everything valuable to keep her from walking off with it. We use to lock our wallets in the car or the gun safe after she walked off with some of my ex wife's jewelry, a set of binoculars, and my Ruger Mk II.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    I used to disarm when I got home, but my doorbell has been getting worn out for some reason lately, so I've gotten into the habit of carrying right up until bed time.
    I just never answer the door. If someone is coming over, they've already called and I know they're coming. Otherwise, they're just trying to sell me something. If it's one of my friends, they know to call and say "Hey, man. I'm at your front door."

If it's 3 am, I assume someone has a good reason, like they're hurt. I won't open the door, but I'll sure call the cops or an ambulance for them.

I've had to adjust a bit because of my niece, who is in college, living with us. She comes in late quite a bit. But she lets us know about what time she'll be home, so I'm expecting it.
    nortelrye, OD*, WHEC724 and 1 others like this.

Senior Member Array Sliderfusion's Avatar
    Wow, Rhinoman that sucks. I as well lock up firearms when the extended relatives and their kids come over so as to not be responsible for a firearm accident. I still carry my knife, until I get my CHL next month.
    "ALWAYS EXPECT THE UNEXPECTED!"

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sliderfusion View Post
    Wow, Rhinoman that sucks. I as well lock up firearms when the extended relatives and their kids come over so as to not be responsible for a firearm accident. I still carry my knife, until I get my CHL next month.
    You can carry around your house without breaking any laws at all, Slider.

Quote Originally Posted by rdunawaytx View Post
    ...... And carrying a J-Frame in lounge pants is a PITA.

The only time I am in lounge/sweat pants and unarmed is when I get up early and have my coffee while my wife and the dogs are still in bed. My redhead wife has three handguns within reach.
    denclaste and molleur like this.

U.S. Army, Retired

Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black in S. FL.
    Only on a rare occasion is anyone other than my wife or me in my home. On those rare times the grand kids are here, the guns are secured. Friends and neighbors coming over are not a concern.

I do answer the door and this is why. My home was burglarized years ago, ransacked while no one was home. The standard tactic is to knock/ring and if no one answers, break in. If someone is home, move on to easier pickings. My making my presence known heads off that break in. I'd rather avoid any potential issues with someone looking for an empty home. I don't need the potential crap that goes with a break in while I'm present.

Your opinions about answering the door may vary. Answer or don't answer--it's your call and only you need to deal with it.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LimaCharlie View Post
    My policy as well. I still have a young child at home, but even if I did't I still wouldn't leave guns sitting around or hidden. I prefer to have them secured - either on me or in a safe.

I will add that I always have a gun on me. If I am lounging in gym shorts or sweatpants it will mostlikely be the Kahr PM9 in a Remora holster. The rest of the time it is my EDC.
    techieccw likes this.
    Member Georgia Carry

I put my weapons away when my young grandkids are over otherwise they are easily accessible.

I don't have them stuffed in every nook and cranny like some other folks have indicated, but I do have one downstairs, several upstairs and one in the car (my EDC) that I carry when I exit the vehicle.
    "Life is tough but it's really tough if you are stupid"

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    I do answer the door and this is why. My home was burglarized years ago, ransacked while no one was home. The standard tactic is to knock/ring and if no one answers, break in. If someone is home, move on to easier pickings. My making my presence known heads off that break in. I'd rather avoid any potential issues with someone looking for an empty home. I don't need the potential crap that goes with a break in while I'm present.

Your opinions about answering the door may vary. Answer or don't answer--it's your call and only you need to deal with it.
    Interesting food for thought, OV. I've never considered that. I'll think about that one. Thanks.
    nlyric likes this.

VIP Member
    When it is lounge pants time in home then it is often shoulder rig time in my house. I don't have to worry about concealment and if the doorbell rings I can look out a window and see who it is without them seeing me. If I don't know them I call out and ask what they want. The door doesn't get opened until I like their answer and when the door is opened I'm openly armed. If they don't like it they can go fish.

If I'm dressed I'm armed. That's the way we roll in my house.
    techieccw and ccw9mm like this.
    Typos are for the entertainment of the reader. Don't let it go to your head

If it is daylight, I answer the door armed and with barking dogs behind a locked security/storm door. If it is dark, I answer the door with gun in hand and barking dogs.

U.S. Army, Retired

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links