DQed today, Local IDPA Match....I am an unafe shooter.

This is a discussion on DQed today, Local IDPA Match....I am an unafe shooter. within the Basic Gun Handling & Safety forums, part of the General Firearm Discussion category; Apparently, I am an unsafe shooter, I was disqualified from a match today. 5 stage match, on last stage, apparently I swept my support hand ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree63Likes

Thread: DQed today, Local IDPA Match....I am an unafe shooter.

Apparently, I am an unsafe shooter, I was disqualified from a match today. 5 stage match, on last stage, apparently I swept my support hand on the draw. I am not saying that I did not do it, as I most likely did, as the Safety Officer saw it, told me to stop, unload, show clear and holster, and I was disqualified.

I was not upset, I was disappointed. The SO gave me some advise on proper drawing, place my support hand at chest level, bring the firearm to chest level after drawing from the holster, meeting the support hand and pushing both arms straight out. So I just said, thank you, gathered up my gear and left the range.

I just have to say, you have to pay close attention to what you are doing at every moment. I have another match tomorrow, I will pay close attention to safe gun handling techniques.
    G26Raven, Rhinoman, ctr and 10 others like this.
    If you served, thank you for your service.

If you did not serve, you are most very welcome.

We all make mistakes. You have a good attitude. Bet you don't do that again.
    dangerranger likes this.
    Never let the facts get in the way of a good story...
    NRA Member
    If I'm not hunting, I'm either at the range, scouting, reloading, or practicing archery.
    A proud member of that "vast right wing conspiracy", and an infidel to boot!

VIP Member
    Also don't confuse the stringent rules of a competitive sport where safety is paramount to real combat where safety is important but winning the fight is more important......one is not as clean and as clear cut as the other.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Senior Moderator
    It happens. In my first USPSA match after a long hiatus and with some new body parts, I broke the 180 line. It was slight comfort that I did so with an empty (at slide lock, no mag) gun and finger indexed on the frame AND that I stopped myself before the RO called it, but - it happened. I felt about as low as whale poop.

We have a couple of world-class shooters at my club, Rob Leatham and Nils Jonasson. Both have DQ'd at significant matches for safety reasons, and they are open about what happened, why it happened, and what they do now to keep it from happening again. I would not hesitate to have either of these guys behind me in a fire fight.

Buck up, keep your head high, learn from the experience. You committed an unsafe act, but I wouldn't label yourself as an unsafe shooter. You're smarter now.
    Smitty
    AZCDL Life Member
    NRA Patron Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Everybody makes mistakes, But mistakes with a firearm can be deadly... I'd say live and learn and don't let it discourage you.
    "Good tactics can save even the worst strategy. Bad tactics will destroy even the best strategy." - Gen G.S. Patton

....plus, it's a game, not a gunfight.
    BamaT, OD* and surefire7 like this.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

I've had to DQ several shooters for doing that. It's never nice to DQ a shooter...

The unsafe draw is often because they don't have good setups, e.g. floppy holsters and/or belts that move a lot, or holsters with bad clips, and then they feel the need to hold the holster with their support hand while drawing.

Quote Originally Posted by Chorizo View Post
    Also don't confuse the stringent rules of a competitive sport where safety is paramount to real combat where safety is important but winning the fight is more important......one is not as clean and as clear cut as the other.
    ...a very important distinction...

Go get them next time , I would have to watch many matches before I could even do it . Or even better yet a bunch of dry runs without mags or maybe with a blue gun .
    Christian Family Man

Agreed! In combat it is sometimes impossible or just not practical to always maintain a safe direction, and sometimes you may need to fire without being absolutely sure of what lies beyond your target. Finger discipline should, however, be maintained at all times!

The maxim to go by is:

If there is no reason to break a safety rule, it should not be broken.

In competition and 99% of training, even advanced training, there are no reasons to break safety rules.
    Chorizo and Rock and Glock like this.

Distinguished Member Array darbo's Avatar
    I could/should have been DQ'd from the last IDPA match I shot. We had to go prone, 90 degrees to the target, and I watched another competitor place support hand (left) down and then place strong hand with gun right behind the support hand, muzzle pointed directly at support wrist area! I guess the SO didn't see it. Anyway, 5 or 6 shooters later it was my turn. I was the last shooter of our last stage for the day. So what did I do when I had to go prone? Exactly the same thing I watched the other shooter do! DUH! Didn't even notice I did it. The SO pointed it out to me but did not DQ me.

So not only did I make a mistake but I didn't learn from watching the other shooters mistake. Double duh!

VIP Member
    Ah, you have a good attitude about it; just accept it for what it is and realize that in a real life or death situation, you sweeping your hand isn't going to matter unless you (or a bystander) die as a result of it.

chin up and keep shooting
    Tenncvol likes this.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

Sponsor
    Live and learn, that's how one improves.
    HotGuns likes this.
    The mind is the limiting factor

https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

Lead Moderator
    Now that its burned in your brain, you'll remember it forever.
    matthew03 and Rock and Glock like this.
    Universal Background Checks...the next step towards registration and confiscation.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

VIP Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    It's kind of like work or training. But sometimes in an emergency, safety isn't first, it's second... or fifth.
    Rowe/Higgins 2016!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links