Know the condition of your Glock? - Page 2

Know the condition of your Glock?

This is a discussion on Know the condition of your Glock? within the Basic Gun Handling & Safety forums, part of the General Firearm Discussion category; Originally Posted by Thanis Shame on me, but I have started to carry a practice round as my in the barrel round (followed by the ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Know the condition of your Glock?

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanis View Post
    Shame on me, but I have started to carry a practice round as my in the barrel round (followed by the hollow points). I carry a Glock .357 Sig, so I feel even the practice FMJ round is a capable SD round. I always make sure to use the round I have been chambering next time I hit the range (thus no set back concerns).

There is a slightly greater concern for set back with a bottle necked round IMO. I just can't afford to keep buying the 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger rounds. I have considered purchashing a lower cost hollow point and using that as my one in the barrel round.

In my experience, it doesn't matter if it is a bottleneck round or not. I have had many bullets affected with setback issues because I did not rotate. My Glock 20 (10 mm) seems to be the worse one and I get about 3 chamberings on one round before it significantly alters the bullet setback.

Personally, all of my weapons that I use regularly for defense purposes are consistently ready to go at all times. They are either locked up or on me, and I have a different routine in how I treat those weapons. The rest of my weapons that do not see everyday use stay completely unloaded and are in the big safe for storage.

When I do carry a long gun in the vehicle, the magazines are loaded but none of them are in the gun itself. When a shotgun, I may have the tube loaded, but no rounds in the chamber.

Ram Rod wrote a good post, and he has some good ideas and they are not bad to consider in your everyday routine for your firearms.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

I guess I will continue to leave my wife's 19 with one in the chamber and ready to go when in the safe. She choose the Glock because she didn't want to have to worry about a safety or decoker or any other thing if she needed to use a gun. She is still waiting on her license to get back, so she isn't carrying during the day yet.

But back to my point. She choose her particular gun because she wanted to pick it up and pull the trigger and have it go boom if she ever needed to. I don't think it is wise to leave her gun in a different condition when at home than it will be when she is carrying it. She wants a gun that will go bang when she pulls the trigger with no other action required, that is what she will have.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    ... She wants a gun that will go bang when she pulls the trigger with no other action required, that is what she will have.
    My thoughts as well. However, with the trigger set back, it is clear the slide needs to be racked.

Still, I can't disagree with what you are stating farronwolf. To each their own.

I think I'll contine to go as ramrod stated because it more closely satisfies firearm safety rules and less wear on the spring.

Sponsor
    Been leaving the glocks I'm going to be using anytime soon loaded since 88 with the first gen g17.

I see no need to unload, rack slide, visually check chamber, slide down and pull the trigger all the time. I presently have three glocks loaded in the house, the 21sf I'm carrying and two g17 3rd gens in the bedroom walk in closet.

The rest of the 12 glocks [ 9 of them sit with mag in gun, no rds in mag or chamber just the way I buy them and they come shipped in the box.

I understand RR's reasoning, but I know which guns are loaded, I don't put the booker hook inside the trigger guard when I pick up a handgun [ or any other firearm ] and know the two 17 and the 21sf are loaded at all times so there's no question if they have rds in chamber and are "good to go" when and if I pick them up.

Not to take the thread adrift, but bullet setback has ocurred loading and unloading the same cartridge, I've seen it myself on more than one occasion myself. Not often, but it's something one needs to watch for when re-chambering rds repeatedly.

Brownie
    The mind is the limiting factor

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    You know...I figured this wouldn't be long before it appeared. I figure it warrants another separate thread in the forum instead of dragging one down.

BTW...I already know about bullet set back.

Quote Originally Posted by Thanis View Post
    I think I'll contine to go as ramrod stated because it more closely satisfies firearm safety rules

Just trying to educate and do a CYA for you. I still don't think Thanis knows what "bullet setback" is(as don't many others reading this). I know you are just trying to help others and if you shoot your carry load often you MAY never have a problem. There are people who will read YOUR post, follow YOUR advise and have a serious problem(ie:KABOOM). Again just wanted to help you CYA. And since a good amount of Glock owners carry .40(although any caliber can be a problem) it can become an issue very quickly.
    Also for others who don't know "bullet setback" can occur on any brand not just Glock.
    “The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing.”.... Albert Einstein

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

You know...I figured this wouldn't be long before it appeared. I figure it warrants another separate thread in the forum instead of dragging one down. How's about posting about that and rotating your carry rounds in the magazine and so forth? And shooting up your carry rounds when it's time? Why not just take a poll of those who do just as I do and unload at some point in the day? Solicit the LEO's who administratively load and unload each day and how much of an issue it is with them?

In and out of the safe....in and out of the holster.....against your body, or on the couch? In my opinion, leaving a loaded chamber Glock induces complacency over time and then we hear about the ND's. I appreciate the challenge, and we appreciate your support.
    BTW...I already know about bullet set back.
    I hate to sound ignorant, but what is "ND"?

Sponsor
    ND=Negligent Discharge

Brownie

My DC is always "hot." No need to wonder it's condition.

If there were, a simple "Chamber Check" would suffice to let me know.

BTW Chamber Checks can be done in the day light and total darkness, safely (with practice).

Oh and BTW todays Glocks come with and most can be retro fitted with a Loaded Chamber Indicator. Simply a added bump on the extractor that you can feel and see.
    Certified Glock Armorer

Quote Originally Posted by H8SPVMT View Post
    My DC is always "hot." No need to wonder it's condition.

If there were, a simple "Chamber Check" would suffice to let me know.

BTW Chamber Checks can be done in the day light and total darkness, safely (with practice).

Oh and BTW todays Glocks come with and most can be retro fitted with a Loaded Chamber Indicator. Simply a added bump on the extractor that you can feel and see.
    Yeah...my G19 came that way. it's the only one I have with a feel bump on the extractor. Obviously Glock felt the need to do this to prevent the uneducated dumbness that makes some Glock owners shoot themselves.

I keep mine (at least the one I carry) loaded unless I'm unloading it to clean it...no reason to fiddle with it. I don't see how leaving it loaded and knowing it's always loaded is going to induce complacency. If anything, messing with it several times per day would seem to increase chances of a ND.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Sponsor
    If anything, messing with it several times per day would seem to increase chances of a ND.

I agree, the less you are loading/unloading and manipulating the firearm [ unless absolutely necessary for some reason ], the less chance of having an ND.

Brownie

Yeah...my G19 came that way. it's the only one I have with a feel bump on the extractor. Obviously Glock felt the need to do this to prevent the uneducated dumbness that makes some Glock owners shoot themselves.
    I may be wrong, but I think it (feel bump) has more to do with making the Glock acceptable to the more restrictive states, as that would be a loaded chamber indicator as mandated by some states. OMO.
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

Waaasss the first rule of safety? "Handle all firearms as if their loaded."

So, why not keep that way till you're not going to use it for some time.
    Certified Glock Armorer

Quote Originally Posted by H8SPVMT View Post
    Waaasss the first rule of safety? "Handle all firearms as if their loaded."

So, why not keep that way till you're not going to use it for some time.
    Amen brother, and booger hook off the bang button! And even completely and totally outside of the bang button guard!

Boomstick no go boom unless Ogg put booger hook on bang switch and go ape on it!

Contrary to popular belief, you can store a Glock with a round in the chamber and the trigger in the pulled position. Please just take my word on this and DO NOT try to do this with a live round, there simply is no reason to store a gun in this position.

Please follow the owners manual that came with your firearm for the proper storage techniques.

Even storing an “empty gun” requires that you treat it as a loaded firearm until you determine it is, in fact, unloaded. Ever time you pick your gun up after is has been out of sight IMO you should use good judgment and check the condition.

Please remember too, always ensure the slide is in the locked open position before handing a Glock to another person so they can check the chamber too for their safety.
    jumpwing likes this.
    Certified Glock Armorer

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links