Know the condition of your Glock?

This is a discussion on Know the condition of your Glock? within the Basic Gun Handling & Safety forums, part of the General Firearm Discussion category; Load 'em and leave 'em be. All my handguns are loaded at all times, the ones in the safe are all set for easy grabbing ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Know the condition of your Glock?

Load 'em and leave 'em be. All my handguns are loaded at all times, the ones in the safe are all set for easy grabbing and ready to go, including my ole 1988 Bianchi revolver.

2. Remove Ads

My G23 doesn't have a loaded chamber indicator, but if you run your finger over the extractor you can feel the height difference in it's position. It stays loaded 24/7 - don't buy into that "rack the pump/slide" stuff.

In re-reading this thread I see no one mentioned, "how" their loaded firearms are stored/stowed.

Personally, I store my ready service arms in a holster. What better way to use those extra holsters we all seem to accomolate? Do make sure the selected holster will fully cover & protect the trigger too; and if it has a retention device, I would employ it also!
    Certified Glock Armorer

The indicator on the ejection port will tell you if there's a round chambered. A round is always chambered in mine, otherwise, all you have is a $600 club.

Something to think about...Thanks RR.

I have my wife's Glock in the safe, in a rack and the trigger is back...

My G-36 is in the holster in the safe. I see no need to store this one in that fashion...if it's in the holster, it's loaded (of course, it's ALWAYS loaded, but you know what I mean...).
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I store my Glocks in holsters. Since the OP, I do store the G31 with the trigger back. However, I just leave the G33 with one in the chamber. It is my most common carry. I started to worry I would make a mistake clearing the chamber everyday. I keep it holstered, and ready to fire.
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar
    My G 27 is always ready with 1 in the chamber 24 x 7.

Quote Originally Posted by H8SPVMT View Post
    Personally, I store my ready service arms in a holster. What better way to use those extra holsters we all seem to accomolate?
    Same here. Far safer to simply transfer it from the holster on my belt to the one on my nightstand or in my safe than to mess about loading and unloading the gun all the time.

Senior Member Array AZ Desertrat's Avatar
    That is what I do also. Especially, because I usually have a revolver on the night stand, and a Glock with a mag inserted IN the night stand. A little safer that way and still quick enough to get into action, if needed.
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government--lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." --Patrick Henry

SEMPER PARATUS

Quote Originally Posted by Thanis View Post
    Just to clarify.

So if you Glock is you CC weapon, you suggest you carry with one in the chamber (so the trigger would be forward). I agree, and this is how I carry.

Now, your home. You suggest, even for night time storage, that you store without a round in the chamber, the trigger back, clip in the firearm, ready to be racked.

Is this correct?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Yes, that's my suggestion. Even that way, removing it from storage won't give you a ND. This is what I do on a daily basis, and possibly more than once per day depending. Clear that Glock unless you are carrying it and dry fire on the empty chamber.

I just wanted to give the new sub-forum a boost, and also not to hear of any more ND's with Glocks for any reason.

Just to clarify. A Glock cannot be stored with a live round chambered and the trigger to the rear. A round can be in the chamber with the trigger to the rear, only during the chambering of a round following a discharge. Once you let off the trigger, the reset will actuate and it will return to a forward trigger (safe action) position. If you somehow manage to figure this one out, you're beyond genius. Someone is bound to try, so for your own safety and that of others...do not attempt to get this scenario to work.

I recommend that when storing at home (nightstand position) that you use a Safe-T Block to help keep the trigger from being accidentally pulled until it's removed. Elevated stress levels do strange things to us.

My Glock is always stored with trigger back if there's not a round chambered.

I learned that from our previous SRT team leader who is also a Glock armorer when I first joined the team and acquired my G-23.

If I see anyone's Glock with a trigger forward, I assume there's one in the pipe!

Thanks Ram Rod for posting this for the masses. I can't believe I missed this thread as long as I have.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Senior Member Array AZ Desertrat's Avatar
    Me too
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government--lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." --Patrick Henry

SEMPER PARATUS

Let me start by saying that I live in an adult only residence. I occupy and sleep alone in my bedroom most nights. I typically keep my home defense weapons close by. My 12ga pump shotgun is just under my bed within hands reach. My pistol is in my nightstand drawer. My pistols in that drawer have been my Ruger LC9, my 1911 and my Kahr CW45. I keep all of them loaded. The LC9 chambered with safety on, 1911 cocked and locked and the Kahr CW45 chambered. I am getting a glock 20sf this week, and plan on keeping it in my nightstand drawer after breaking it in. I was going to keep in chambered like all my other pistols. Are you saying there are reasons not to keep it that way? (I'm just asking)

i don't know if this thread is still on topic since i am not reading the whole thing but i agree. i carry glock, and i also clear my firearm when i take it off. in my case i clear it before i remove it from my mic holster, and then follow the same procedure for storage as outlined in the first post.
    My metal band: Born under Sirius

Glock 23, mic holster, clipdraw, abdominal carry.

Glock round chambering

I have always carried, but, untill recently, carried a handgun with a safety. I just purchased a glock 23 for personal carry and this is my first handgun without a safety lever. I always have one in the chamber and will with the glock, but, it does concern me a bit about accidental discharge due to something hitting the trigger. Thoughts?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links