Know the condition of your Glock?

This is a discussion on Know the condition of your Glock? within the Basic Gun Handling & Safety forums, part of the General Firearm Discussion category; Originally Posted by rumrunner I have always carried, but, untill recently, carried a handgun with a safety. I just purchased a glock 23 for personal ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Know the condition of your Glock?

Quote Originally Posted by rumrunner View Post
    I have always carried, but, untill recently, carried a handgun with a safety. I just purchased a glock 23 for personal carry and this is my first handgun without a safety lever. I always have one in the chamber and will with the glock, but, it does concern me a bit about accidental discharge due to something hitting the trigger. Thoughts?
    First handgun without a safety lever? Do you have any idea how many have found death 'accidentally' from a handgun WITH a safety lever?
    What concerns you actually about the lack of external safety levers? Once you put humanity behind anything, it's a recipe for tragedy.
    There are no accidental discharges. This has been proven. Negligent discharge is the definition.
    If you laid your loaded Glock on the table and didn't touch it.....what would concern you about hitting the trigger? A falling meteor, or a 15mph wind perhaps. Maybe a stray hummingbird?

My apologies for being so blunt and to the point.......(I've gotta do this to make a point, and keep up my image). Take it any way you'd like. I've been accused of plenty in the past, and I'm sure it will continue into the future. I'm willing to accept my fate as it were.

Anyway......................

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by rumrunner View Post
    I have always carried, but, untill recently, carried a handgun with a safety. I just purchased a glock 23 for personal carry and this is my first handgun without a safety lever. I always have one in the chamber and will with the glock, but, it does concern me a bit about accidental discharge due to something hitting the trigger. Thoughts?
    Keep the trigger protected as in, in a holster until it's time to not be nice.

Remove the magazine, rack the slide and eject the round in the chamber. Check the chamber and see if there is a bullet in there, if not proceed. Wait, before proceeding to next step check the chamber for bullets again. Now that you are positive the chamber is empty examine the trigger. Put your finger on the outside of the trigger. Can you pull it back? No. The lever in the middle must be depressed first. What you'll find is that the GLOCK trigger requires intentional action to activate it. Even after disengaging the trigger safety there is some travel and deliberate pressure needed to make the gun fire.

The bottom line is safety devices can fail and the best policy is to keep things out of the trigger area and fingers off of the trigger until you are ready to shoot.

If you are carrying the pistol it should be in a quality holster that covers the trigger. The only times that pistol should leave that holster is for that last resort in a personal defense situation, safe storage when not being carried, cleaning, practice, and if you should have to disarm to go to the post office etc. It's not a toy, it's not for show and tell.

Forgive me if this sounds like a lecture, I didn't intend it that way.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Someone awoke a 3 year old thread.. and Ramrod too !
    joker1 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    Someone awoke a 3 year old thread.. and Ramrod too !
    Sometimes old threads are good to find. It's also good to know they can still be found.
    "Awoke"? Sure you don't mean Ewok?

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanis View Post
    Shame on me, but I have started to carry a practice round as my in the barrel round (followed by the hollow points). I carry a Glock .357 Sig, so I feel even the practice FMJ round is a capable SD round. I always make sure to use the round I have been chambering next time I hit the range (thus no set back concerns).

There is a slightly greater concern for set back with a bottle necked round IMO. I just can't afford to keep buying the 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger rounds. I have considered purchashing a lower cost hollow point and using that as my one in the barrel round.
    That's exactly what I do (not a Glock). I have my nice, shiny, expensive Federal Guard Dogs in the magazine, and one Fiocchi JHP in the pipe. So, if I do load/unload a couple times, I set that round aside in favor of another 'cheap' one to keep my expensive rounds in good shape.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar
    Some of your advice I agree with, some of it I don't; but I wouldn't characterize any of it as "bad".

On this topic:
    Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    In my opinion, leaving a loaded chamber Glock induces complacency over time and then we hear about the ND's.
    All I can say is that leaving the chamber loaded has had the opposite effect for me. It ensures (in MY mind) that there is never a "relaxed" condition with my firearm. There's no need to remember the chamber status from one moment to the next: It's ALWAYS loaded, period. All my gun-handling habits are based on this because I don't carry any other way.

Rather than inducing complacency, I've found it to be a constant reinforcement of good habits and a careful frame of mind.
    rhinokrk likes this.
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

Mind old threads, I do not. Only aware of 2009 dates I make.

Welcome to the forum rumrunner.

Quote Originally Posted by joker1 View Post

If you are carrying the pistol it should be in a quality holster that covers the trigger. The only times that pistol should leave that holster is for that last resort in a personal defense situation, safe storage when not being carried, cleaning, practice, and if you should have to disarm to go to the post office etc. It's not a toy, it's not for show and tell.

Very good advice.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links