Know the condition of your Glock?

This is a discussion on Know the condition of your Glock? within the Basic Gun Handling & Safety forums, part of the General Firearm Discussion category; Do you know the condition of your Glock just by looking at it? Without picking it up and handling it? You should be able to ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Know the condition of your Glock?

Do you know the condition of your Glock just by looking at it? Without picking it up and handling it? You should be able to tell. If the trigger is forward, consider the chamber loaded! Remove the magazine, and rack the slide, and visually inspect the chamber. Once it's determined to be clear, pull that trigger to the rear (dry fire), just like you would to break it down for cleaning. Leave the trigger back. All of my Glocks are stored with the trigger back and full magazine inserted in the safe, or until deployment for the day when I manually put a round in the chamber for carry. Leaving the trigger in it's rearward position does two things....1. relaxes the trigger spring (even the Glock owner's manual states this should be done for storage), and 2. let's you know visually that the pistol has an empty chamber. There is no way to have a chambered (live) round and the Glock trigger in the rearward position at the same time unless you are shooting it. Now you should be able to tell if your Glock is loaded or not just by looking at it from across the room or the minute you pick it up. Leaving the trigger back on an empty chamber Glock should become a habit...a good habit. It's simple and might very well extend your Glock's trigger spring life.
    stevenshizzle and MikeNice like this.

That's how I do mine. Thanks Ram Rod, you probably (yet again) put out info that will help a few newer gun owners (GLOCK owners) out.
    "Without fear there can be no Courage!"

Just to clarify.

So if you Glock is you CC weapon, you suggest you carry with one in the chamber (so the trigger would be forward). I agree, and this is how I carry.

Now, your home. You suggest, even for night time storage, that you store without a round in the chamber, the trigger back, clip in the firearm, ready to be racked.

Is this correct?

Quote Originally Posted by Thanis View Post
    Just to clarify.

So if you Glock is you CC weapon, you suggest you carry with one in the chamber (so the trigger would be forward). I agree, and this is how I carry.

Now, your home. You suggest, even for night time storage, that you store without a round in the chamber, the trigger back, clip in the firearm, ready to be racked.

Is this correct?
    Yes, that's my suggestion. Even that way, removing it from storage won't give you a ND. This is what I do on a daily basis, and possibly more than once per day depending. Clear that Glock unless you are carrying it and dry fire on the empty chamber.

I just wanted to give the new sub-forum a boost, and also not to hear of any more ND's with Glocks for any reason.

I had not considered this option, but I appreciate the advise, and just put Glock in condition you suggested.

I tend to carry the revolver j-frame around the house (my thought process is it is the firearm I'll use to get to my Glock or shotgun).

My wife has been uncomfortable storing with one in the barrel (as it does break a firearm safety rule). Storing the ammo with the weapon also breaks a rule, but the weapon is intended for home SD, and needs to be in a secure but ready condition.

Add the other two points you bring up (valid points).

Sincere thanks Ram Rod.

I also store my glock the same way, great post RamRod,
    Give me my guns and my right to keep and bear arms, and they can keep their change.

Good info and advise. Thanks.
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

As a new guy to owning a Glock I appreciate your post a great deal
    "The dark side of the Force is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be unnatural. "
    Best words of wisdom from my Master Emperor Palpatine

If I owned a Glock, I would know it was loaded. All my firearms, and mags are loaded... Thanks though
    Fisher10 likes this.
    Get the U.N. out of the U.S.
    Get the U.S. out of the U.N.

Senior Member Array Natureboypkr's Avatar
    Yet another Great Glocking adventure by RamRod. Great post!!!
    Mixed Martial Arts Record= 2-0.......Kyokushin Karate Record=5-0

USMC.....helping enemies of America die for their countries since 1775

jfl
    I have had and carried Glocks since ... I can't really remember !
    Never thought of that, great point. Thanks RR.
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

Thanks RR. Learned something very valuable today.
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Yes, that's my suggestion. Even that way, removing it from storage won't give you a ND. This is what I do on a daily basis, and possibly more than once per day depending. Clear that Glock unless you are carrying it and dry fire on the empty chamber.

I just wanted to give the new sub-forum a boost, and also not to hear of any more ND's with Glocks for any reason.

You may want to learn about bullet setback! This presents a much more real danger then a loaded chamber. IMO you are 'playing' with your pistol too much. Leave it loaded ready to go. Always exercise the 4 rules:

(1) All guns are always loaded!
    (2) Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy!
    (3) Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target!
    (4) Always be sure of your target and beyond!
    Fisher10 and MikeNice like this.
    “The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing.”.... Albert Einstein

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Quote Originally Posted by Glock30SF View Post
    You may want to learn about bullet setback! This presents a much more real danger then a loaded chamber. IMO you are 'playing' with your pistol too much. Leave it loaded ready to go.
    You know...I figured this wouldn't be long before it appeared. I figure it warrants another separate thread in the forum instead of dragging one down. How's about posting about that and rotating your carry rounds in the magazine and so forth? And shooting up your carry rounds when it's time? Why not just take a poll of those who do just as I do and unload at some point in the day? Solicit the LEO's who administratively load and unload each day and how much of an issue it is with them?
    Leave it loaded ready to go.
    In and out of the safe....in and out of the holster.....against your body, or on the couch? In my opinion, leaving a loaded chamber Glock induces complacency over time and then we hear about the ND's. I appreciate the challenge, and we appreciate your support.
    BTW...I already know about bullet set back.
    Rock and Glock and Mardet65 like this.

Shame on me, but I have started to carry a practice round as my in the barrel round (followed by the hollow points). I carry a Glock .357 Sig, so I feel even the practice FMJ round is a capable SD round. I always make sure to use the round I have been chambering next time I hit the range (thus no set back concerns).

There is a slightly greater concern for set back with a bottle necked round IMO. I just can't afford to keep buying the 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger rounds. I have considered purchashing a lower cost hollow point and using that as my one in the barrel round.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links