How to Aim a Gun

This is a discussion on How to Aim a Gun within the Basic Gun Handling & Safety forums, part of the General Firearm Discussion category; yes, sounds rather basic but indulge me. See link to pic, see if I have it right. This was a Taurus - although I suspect ...

Thread: How to Aim a Gun

How to Aim a Gun

yes, sounds rather basic but indulge me. See link to pic, see if I have it right. This was a Taurus - although I suspect many other guns have sights light these.
    Right? Wrong? Refinements?

The rings represent the target.

Image - TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting
    Attached Images

2. Remove Ads

With my Taurus PT140 (short barrell), I have to aim like the bottom pic to hit target, otherwise, I will hit too low.

My Ruger P95 and SA 1911 A-1, I aim like the top pic.

I am no expert marksman, this is simply how I shoot the guns I own to be able to hit on target.
    And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

VIP Member
    It all depends on the range, or distance, as far as the too high, but it looks good to me.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by possessed View Post
    With my Taurus PT140 (short barrell), I have to aim like the bottom pic to hit target, otherwise, I will hit too low.

My Ruger P95 and SA 1911 A-1, I aim like the top pic.

I am no expert marksman, this is simply how I shoot the guns I own to be able to hit on target.
    That is called 6 o'clock hold, the original XD is to be aimed in this manner as well.

I have to aim my PM45 like the one that says "to high" to hit my intended spot.

Thanks!
    Seems like the answer is variable depending on model even individual gun. I guess I figured there was a standard in this regard.

Try to get some sand bags and bench shoot that taurus, I bet you find out that the sights are dead on and its the heavy trigger making you pull your shots low.
    I had a pt140 and shot it the same way and one day I said what the hey and did just that..and found the sights were dead on.
    Current collection: Too many according to the wife...

Quote Originally Posted by itschuck View Post
    Try to get some sand bags and bench shoot that taurus, I bet you find out that the sights are dead on and its the heavy trigger making you pull your shots low.
    I had a pt140 and shot it the same way and one day I said what the hey and did just that..and found the sights were dead on.

I'll try that also....just to make sure.

Quote Originally Posted by itschuck View Post

I agree, it's something that that operator is doing,99.999 % of the time. With compact pistols ,being combat accurate and multiple hits will get your desired results...these guns are hard to shoot super accurately at the speed required in an emergency situation. If shooting a little high,low,left,or right works for you, go with that.Whatever get's you there is good. Just practice,practice,practice until it's instinct.With both hands, each hand, strong eye,weak eye,both eyes....standing,kneeling,lying down...anything you can think of .

Links