"Proper Grip For Auto Pistols" Video

This is a discussion on "Proper Grip For Auto Pistols" Video within the Basic Gun Handling & Safety forums, part of the General Firearm Discussion category; Good explanation of the "thumbs-forward" grip. YouTube - Proper Grip for Auto-Pistols...

Thread: "Proper Grip For Auto Pistols" Video

"Proper Grip For Auto Pistols" Video

Good explanation of the "thumbs-forward" grip.

YouTube - Proper Grip for Auto-Pistols
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

2. Remove Ads

Good video KenpoTex! Fairly new shooter here and after first range trip, its obvious I need some pointers. I will try this next trip, well see if I group a little closer then first.
    CHP holder. EDC G27. I support VCDL, so glad to have them fighting for my rights.

This is a good video. Same grip they taught us in the academy.
    ‘‘To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them.’’

— George Mason

Quote Originally Posted by KenpoTex View Post
    Good explanation of the "thumbs-forward" grip.

YouTube - Proper Grip for Auto-Pistols
    Kenpo,

Thanks. That helps reinforce some things I learned as I was first learning to shoot my pistol. My son put me on to this video from Todd Jarrett, very similar to what you posted.

YouTube - Todd Jarrett on pistol shooting.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Cool stuff.

This is were I learned my grip, and it's how I grip my guns. Practice

http://www.handgunsmag.com/tactics_t...ombatg_100306/

It's almost how I grip my Golf Clubs also......

Quote Originally Posted by Loadedtech View Post
    Good video KenpoTex! Fairly new shooter here and after first range trip, its obvious I need some pointers. I will try this next trip, well see if I group a little closer then first.
    If you want your groups to tighten up, work on your fundamentals...focus on the front sight and concentrate on pressing the trigger straight to the rear.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Sponsor
    I don't believe there is a "Proper" grip for firearms.

There are various grips that have been shown to be effective at controlling recoil better for some, and not for others. I've seen people use flagged thumbs who shot better than locked down thumbs and others who shot better with locked down thumbs than flagged thumbs in classes when they tried one from the other.

What's better for you should be the question? Body mechanics, injuries and other physical conditions play a role in resolving what grip is proper for that student.

The fastest revo shooter ever recorded used a locked down thumb one handed [ .40 seconds for 6 shots into a playing card ]. Even Miculek has officially tried to break his record and not succeeded several times.

Must be some serious trigger control going on there to do that with a locked down thumb on a stock DA Smith revo

Brownie
    The mind is the limiting factor

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

Administrator
    Addition:
    Everyone should work on increasing the overall grip strength of their hands/fingers.
    Nothing helps the trigger/index finger move independently of the remainder of the hand/hands more than nicely developed hand strength.
    Better hand gripping strength (in general) is always beneficial and never detrimental.

Just my personal opinion on that.

EW3
    I tried the "thumbs forward" grip as shown in the video and it vastly improved my shooting. I'm a convert now.
    "Naked and Starving as They are We Cannot Enough Admire the Incomparable Patience and Fidelity of the Soldiery" – George Washington, Valley Forge, 1777.

Quote Originally Posted by miklcolt45 View Post
    Kenpo,

Thanks. That helps reinforce some things I learned as I was first learning to shoot my pistol. My son put me on to this video from Todd Jarrett, very similar to what you posted.

YouTube - Todd Jarrett on pistol shooting.
    Definitely a plus 1. Todd Jarett's video's are second to none. I would have posted it if you didn't, so I'll quote you and make sure its posted twice.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Great video...same grip I was taught recently at a private "refresher" course. Instructor gave us a dry fire homework drill. Squeeze trigger and hold ...feel re-set click while trigger held down, then release (to allow the gun to "settle down", recycle slide manually, align site picture and squeeze again. Repeat 2000 times to build muscle memory. Hope this helps

Links