Never assume its not chambered! Always check!! - Page 2

Never assume its not chambered! Always check!!

This is a discussion on Never assume its not chambered! Always check!! within the Basic Gun Handling & Safety forums, part of the General Firearm Discussion category; ...Owner of the store occasionally carries some of the weapons we get in stock. I wish this didn't happen, but I don't own the store. ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Never assume its not chambered! Always check!!

...Owner of the store occasionally carries some of the weapons we get in stock. I wish this didn't happen, but I don't own the store. He does.
    This is a very poor business practice on the part of the store owner.
    Further he is now _using_ the firearm only to turn around and later sell it to some unsuspecting customer as being 'factory in the box new'.
    That is not right.

Double error on the part of the business owner which was the catalyst for this event.

Never mind the error made by _both_ you and the customer as neither of you in your haste thought to check and open the action of the firearm prior to transferring it to each other.
    Myself when a person hands me firearm they have not opened the action toward and checked at least visually if not by tactile pinky inspection...that immediately puts me on guard as to question their firearm knowledge set and skills overall.
    This is akin to handing over the keys of an automobile to another person taking them from a car that has been left in neutral _and_ with no parking brake actuated, not thinking on their part to apply either.

Be careful.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Wow.

Just wow......
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by CBXMan View Post
    One of the selling points that convinced me to get an XD45 compact was that you can feel the top of the slide in the dark and tell if a round is chambered.

I feel very confident that the indicator was up, showing that there was a round chambered. But..unless you are familiar with that weapon, you wouldnt know what the indicator is for. Personally I love that feature, and I trust it on my XD. That doesnt stop me from checking though! But we all make mistakes! Thanks for sharing.
    “Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first.”
    - Ronald Reagan

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fartknocker View Post
    I feel very confident that the indicator was up, showing that there was a round chambered. But..unless you are familiar with that weapon, you wouldnt know what the indicator is for. Personally I love that feature, and I trust it on my XD. That doesnt stop me from checking though! But we all make mistakes! Thanks for sharing.
    I have carried my XD45 for three years now. I am familiar with the loaded chamber indicator. I am simply saying that I failed to CHECK it and failed to clear the weapon. However, I am not one to trust the indicators 100%.

Opening the slide up to me is what I should have done. I didnt.
    “I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.”
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

Something similar happened to me. While preparing for a group of boy scouts coming to the range, me and the RSO were transferring 10/22's from the safe to a wheeled cart. I noticed that all the .22's in the safe had the magazines in the rifles, bolts locked open - not right, but maybe no big deal. After we had a few transferred it began to really not sit well with me and then the thought hit me "wouldn't it be "interesting" to find one loaded". Sure enuf, third magazine had 6 rounds in it. Amazingly, the training center supervisor didn't seem too upset about it - it was his buddy that left the loaded mag in the rifle after a class.

Thank you for the post. I got very upset about employees at a local range sweeping me with guns in the case. I had never considered that anyone would load and carry a NIB gun.
    I'm not a lawyer or a LEO, just a pantload with a computer.

VIP Member
    Scary + Lucky = Lesson Learned

Thanks for sharing
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ICTsnub View Post
    I had never considered that anyone would load and carry a NIB gun.
    Neither have I considered that. However, I did talk to him today and asked him to please choose a gun and keep it and that he was putting me in a predicament I didn't agree with having to go behind him checking HIS weapons.

So far it worked. He chose an M&P .45acp and said he would keep that one. I hope so.

While its my fault for not checking this particular weapon, he still shouldn't put me in that spot he did. I also disagree about selling a "carried" gun as new when it does sell. Will discuss this another day. He is the shop owner so I have no control over that.
    “I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.”
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

You are not the only one who thought the chamber was empty. I did that once at the range showing a shooter my Mak.
    The important thing is to always point it in a safe direction. Also keep the finger off the trigger.

It is scary when it happens, and is a good lesson, and reminder to the rest of us.
    Regards,
    Jerry

It's funny you mentioned this as I have recently wondered what the potential was for some "customer" that meant to cause trouble for the shop or just see his "handy-work" on the news to "slip" a round in a firearm after checking it out and handing it back to the clerk. That's why I guess it's a good idea to check it both when you hand it to them and when they hand it back.

There's a shop near where I live that will pull two or three guns out on the counter, walk into the back room to check on another or talk with another customer with the guns still out, take them back after you inspect them and then place them right back into the case without checking. That's asking for trouble, IMHO.
    "We must all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately." - Benjamin Franklin
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson

DID YOU KNOW: 89.3% of all quoted statistics are fabricated

Gun Safety-Rule #1 and Rule #1a

Rule #1- ALL guns are ALWAYS loaded.
    Rule #1a- ALL guns are ALWAYS loaded.
    After these you can get to the other 3 rules.
    " Keep On Packin' On The Bimah"

Senior Member Array Natureboypkr's Avatar
    You recognized that you made a mistake, so now you will become more aware of not making that same mistake again.
    Mixed Martial Arts Record= 2-0.......Kyokushin Karate Record=5-0

USMC.....helping enemies of America die for their countries since 1775

I can just look at my Glocks and tell if they are loaded or unloaded. All of my unloaded Glocks have the trigger pulled to the rear. I have tried once to break down one of my Glocks with a full magazine inserted. That just don't work at all. Be careful, be safe, and make it a habit.

Maybe the shop should consider in having empty chamber flags on all the firearms, just a thought.

I have an empty .40 S&W casing hanging from my keychain as a reminder to NEVER just assume that the gun is not loaded!!

Ron
    Shine on...
    S&W M&P 9c
    S&W 9 Shield
    Taurus Raging Bull .454 Casull
    S&W M&P15 Sport;
    Mossberg 590A1

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links