Never assume its not chambered! Always check!!

This is a discussion on Never assume its not chambered! Always check!! within the Basic Gun Handling & Safety forums, part of the General Firearm Discussion category; I am so upset and angry, at myself and "someone else" involved. Customer came to check out a pistol. Checked a couple of guns, an ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Never assume its not chambered! Always check!!

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar

Exclamation Never assume its not chambered! Always check!!

I am so upset and angry, at myself and "someone else" involved.

Customer came to check out a pistol. Checked a couple of guns, an XD40 and a Sig P250. As usual, I checked them first and then handed him the weapon each time.

Then, onto something different. He came in actually wanting an XD45 4" Compact, which I didn't exactly have. I did have a tactical length compact and also an XD45 Service 4". I handed him the XD45 5" compact and let him fondle it a bit. I didn't check it first. My mistake.

He handed it back to me, also not checking it himself. I then took out the XD45 Service and decided to dismantle it and put the 4" slide onto the 5" compact frame so he could actually feel a "real" 4" compact model. So, I dismantled the XD45 Service and set the parts on the counter top.

Now, to do the same with the tactical length compact.

I removed the empty magazine and when I racked the slide back on the 5" compact to lock it back, the same one he had just been handling, a single round of .45acp fell through the empty magwell and hit the glass top counter!

It had been chambered the whole time he was handling it!!

No one to blame but myself. And I am just sick to my stomach and have been all afternoon since.

What happened is this:

Owner of the store occasionally carries some of the weapons we get in stock. I wish this didn't happen, but I don't own the store. He does.

He had been carrying the XD45 Tactical compact for a few days, loaded and chambered.

This morning, I asked him to leave it so I could show it to a customer. He did, he "unloaded it" and he placed it back into its gear box. Later on, when the customer got there, I slid the empty "compact" size magazine into the magwell. The magazine was empty. I never racked the slide.

Never never never assume that ANYONE, no matter who they are, has completely unloaded a weapon!!

Now you know the rest of the story.
    “I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.”
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

2. Remove Ads

Don't beat yourself up over this. Learn and move on
    "When the people fear the government you have tyranny...when the government fears the people you have liberty."

--Thomas Jefferson --

Just a few moments and a lack of thinking can decide freedom :vs: incarceration...sometimes!

Glad it was only a learning lesson.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

The oldogy is wiping the sweat from his brow just thinking about that one.
    oldogy
    Government is out of control
    "If gun laws in fact worked, the sponsors of this type of legislation should have no difficulty drawing upon long lists of examples of crime rates reduced by such legislation. That they cannot do so after a century and a half of trying -- " Sen Orrin G. Hatch

I'll bet anybody any amount of money you will NEVER do that again. You've learned your lesson and nobody got hurt.
    "I didn't do it, nobody saw me do it, you can't prove anything!" Bart Simpson

YEP... the key word ... "always".

The best safety for any weapon is the gray matter between your ears.....

I learned this back in 1988 from none other than Jeff Cooper, one of my many teachers.....
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    "Treat every firearm as if it were loaded"

Complacency is not a form of safety, no matter how much we think we know. There is no room for error, only mistake. Glad you discovered it before the customer.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

One of the selling points that convinced me to get an XD45 compact was that you can feel the top of the slide in the dark and tell if a round is chambered.

EW3
    Every time I pick up one of my guns I lock the slide back and check the chamber, even though no one else has touched it. It's become automatic with me now.
    "Naked and Starving as They are We Cannot Enough Admire the Incomparable Patience and Fidelity of the Soldiery" – George Washington, Valley Forge, 1777.

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rcher View Post
    "Treat every firearm as if it were loaded"

Complacency is not a form of safety, no matter how much we think we know. There is no room for error, only mistake. Glad you discovered it before the customer.
    Almost didn't! The customers jaw almost hit the floor when the round ejected. Me? I almost crapped my pants.

Quote Originally Posted by CBXMan View Post
    One of the selling points that convinced me to get an XD45 compact was that you can feel the top of the slide in the dark and tell if a round is chambered.
    Wouldn't and didn't matter in this case. I failed to rack the slide prior to allowing the customer to handle the weapon. While they are nice I guess, I don't trust the tactile indicators completely. Now, I can't trust myself!

Quote Originally Posted by EW3 View Post
    Every time I pick up one of my guns I lock the slide back and check the chamber, even though no one else has touched it. It's become automatic with me now.
    It will be with me as well. This was horrible. So mad, angry, embarrassed and scared.
    “I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.”
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

Safety is a 2 way street

1) You should always lock open the slide and check clear before storing and if you forgot that then your backup safety is before handing over any firearm to another person.

Your mistake

2) Anyone accepting a firearm also needs to confirm it is indeed unloaded. Just in case you forget to.

Customers mistake

Failing all this provided the firearm is always pointed in a safe direction then the risk of injury or death is close to nil.

A typical trip to the range and back home for me is

1) remove from safe, check unloaded and box
    2) remove from box at range check unloaded and bench
    3) check unloaded, place in box, take home
    4) remove from box check unloaded, place in safe
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    Evil prevails when good men stand by and do nothing
    --------------------------------------------------------------

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    Ive actually had the reverse happen. I had been carrying my Bersa and went do my weekly check, pop out the mag, rack the slide to eject the round.....nothing, I pull back the slide and look in which is the next step. No round in the chamber......I was about to crap myself. This would have really sucked had I needed it. Then I realized I had cleared the chamber earlier that day do to my visiting a friends house. They have a rule to let me carry in their place, no round in the chamber. I had forgotten to rechamber it. Now ive gotten in the habit of checking every morning now.
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

1943 - 2009
    Have you spoken to the store owner about this?

Boss or not, his feet should be held to the fire, too.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    Thanks for posting. Always a good reminder.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links