I d i o t s !

This is a discussion on I d i o t s ! within the Basic Gun Handling & Safety forums, part of the General Firearm Discussion category; Originally Posted by natticarry A range and a store are two different things. I fully support and demand the staff at a range enforce good ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I d i o t s !

Quote Originally Posted by natticarry View Post
    A range and a store are two different things. I fully support and demand the staff at a range enforce good gun safety on their property. I just don't think its their job to ensure your competence at your home because you happen to buy a gun from them.
    ^Absolutely...I was not trying to connect the two...that just came to mind hearing this story.

And personally, I don't think it's the seller's responsibility to ensure that the buyer has full working knowledge of safety mechanims/basic handling knowledge.

Unless, of course, a buyer specifically asks for help...

Some clown at home that ND's themselves/others? Well they need to look in a mirror for whom to blame...
    HK P2000SK 9mm LEM (EDC, NV CCW)
    FNH Five-Seven USG...um, 5.7 cal
    <><><><><><><><><><><>
    FNH PS90/Mossberg 530 SPX/Mossberg 17 HMR (Tannerite Special, hi Feds )

2. Remove Ads

I knew what particular gun I wanted, found it at a shop. Asked the guy to see it, racked the slide, magazine in and out, looked it all over and bought the gun. Guy had no idea whether I knew about features of the gun or had any idea how to fire it.
    oldogy
    Government is out of control
    "If gun laws in fact worked, the sponsors of this type of legislation should have no difficulty drawing upon long lists of examples of crime rates reduced by such legislation. That they cannot do so after a century and a half of trying -- " Sen Orrin G. Hatch

Quote Originally Posted by pcon View Post
    nice...remind me to not go to the range with them
    Go to the range with them?
    How about even being their neighbor?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    RTFM?

I have been shooting since I was a little kid, I still look over the manual when I buy a new gun. They don't print those things up just because they have a bunch of extra ink and paper sitting around. Unless you have been using and reading about that PARTICULAR firearm for years it is likely you can learn something by reading the manual...if only the field strip procedure.

What happened to create a world where people shoot themselves because they are too stupid to seek help when dealing with an unknown device that they know is dangerous? All they had to do is pick up the booklet and read.

There was probably even a sheet of paper on top or a sticker that says "READ MANUAL FIRST".
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

Like GWRedDragon said, read the manual first....they could have asked before/when they bought the gun too. Who knows what their problem is, unsafe gun handling is one of them for sure, they are lucky that neither of them got killed.

On a side note, maybe I'm demented but this is kind of funny.......

VIP Member

Exactly, GWRedDragon :

Quote Originally Posted by GWRedDragon View Post
    RTFM?

I have been shooting since I was a little kid, I still look over the manual when I buy a new gun. They don't print those things up just because they have a bunch of extra ink and paper sitting around. .
    Exactly. And it goes for manuals they give you when you buy cars and other stuff. You always learn something by reading the manual.

Even if someone purchased a new gun, and even if they were unfamiliar with the workings of the weapon, why would they be messing around with it while loaded? Granted, I've brought a new gun home without being intimately familiar with every function, but I knew them by heart before it was ever loaded for the first time.

Senior Member Array AZ Desertrat's Avatar
    Wow,......that is the kind of stuff the "anti-gunners" and the media jump right on.
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government--lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." --Patrick Henry

SEMPER PARATUS

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    Every visit to Gander Mountain, I see idiots sweeping the muzzle across the store while handling guns.I have seen this in gun shops also. My dad always told me, handle a gun like it is loaded,at all times.

I'm just thinking this is a great example of why gun stores should invest at least 15 minutes of educational time before they call the ATF and read off the form.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Remember "Stupid is as Stupid does!"

Gump had it right!
    "Without fear there can be no Courage!"

It would be nice if the NRA could put on some free gun safety classes, or the states to pick up the tab.
    If may even get them new members.
    Our Elementary school here does the Eddy Eagle through second grade, which is great.

Administrator
    Every new handgun comes with a manual.
    Some people are just too stupid to read it FIRST.
    Sadly, you can't open up some folks heads and pour brains in.
    Some people are just totally brainless and moronic.
    Nothing can be done about that.
    They will know better next time.

the idea of a 15 minute safety instructions to buy a firearm is a bad idea for 2 reasons.

1.) Most of us already know this information and 15 minutes is frankly a waste of time especially since the manual of almost all firearms cover basic safety techniques which people already don't read. There are also many people who just like they won't read the manual will not listen to someone telling them the information and will give them the blank stare as they think about how cool their new gun purchase is.

2.) It is slippery slope plain and simple. What happens if they start giving a 15 minute safety class and people still manage to shoot themselves most likely for the above reason. Then someone says hey you should have to take a test. Then there will be arguments about length of test. After that doesn't work, then there will be 2 hours of instruction instead of 15 minutes and so on.

The whole point is if we treated every potentially dangerous product like people want to treat firearms we would never have time to do anything. I personally don't want 15 minute safety lectures every time I buy gasoline, saws, kitchen knives, lighters etc. There comes a point where it is the consumers responsibility to make sure they know how to safely use equipment and they accept any liability in the misuse of that equipment.

on a side note about ranges, I think the best range safety instructions I ever got was one line only, "keep your guns pointed down range and don't do anything stupid" Oddly enough I think that is the one place I have never seen anyone violate safety rules.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links