Secure for Flight Operations

This is a discussion on Secure for Flight Operations within the Basic Gun Handling & Safety forums, part of the General Firearm Discussion category; I have read all the various Airlines rules for transporting your personal Firearm. What I would like to know is what method do you Ladies ...

Thread: Secure for Flight Operations

I have read all the various Airlines rules for transporting your personal Firearm. What I would like to know is what method do you Ladies and Gents use. ie.. Particular brand, Why, and what security features does your particular choice afford you, and still comply with FAA, Homeland Security, and the respectful airlines.

Regards Rick

Senior Member Array HowardCohodas's Avatar
    I use a Secure-IT safe, also sold as center-of-mass car safe.

The cable is linked to the internal structure of my nondescript checked luggage.
    Howard
    I carry a gun because I can't carry a cop!!
    Politically Incorrect Self Defense

Same as above because it takes up a minimal amount of room and offers some security in case I have to leave it in the room, hidden/cable locked to something.
    What Would Gumby Do?

Secure-IT safe

Thanks Gents, I just purchased one from Cabelas. I hope the odor problem is fixed. MSO would not be pleased.

Regards
    Rick

I don't use my CoM safe for airline travel because of the need for TSA locks.
    I take my CoM safe along for car security, but for airline travel I just use a simple (lockable) case to store in my luggage...locked with a TSA lock.

Travel has never been a problem.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I too have a COM safe and I swapped out the cyclinder for a little bit better one. I slipped the cable thru the pull up handle inside the suitcase. I also added a lock thru the ejection port and mag well. There are a few post about Airline travel. Double check airlines regs and TSA regs. Print everything and have it handy with you. I flew out of NY to Orlando and back with out a hic-up. The way to should be.

Senior Member Array HowardCohodas's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    ... for airline travel I just use a simple (lockable) case to store in my luggage...locked with a TSA lock.

Travel has never been a problem.
    My understanding is that this is specifically against the TSA rules. The gun is supposed to be in a container that only you have the key for.
    Howard
    I carry a gun because I can't carry a cop!!
    Politically Incorrect Self Defense

Thanks Gents, I just purchased one from Cabelas. I hope the odor problem is fixed. MSO would not be pleased.
    Best of luck with it. I have aired mine out repeatedly, but that chemical odor on the foam pad is still there, though not as bad. Fabreeze and ventilation haven't worked.
    What Would Gumby Do?

Quote Originally Posted by sheepdog View Post
    Best of luck with it. I have aired mine out repeatedly, but that chemical odor on the foam pad is still there, though not as bad. Fabreeze and ventilation haven't worked.
    Maybe try some activated charcoal, like for aquarium filters. Charcoal absorbs just about anything.

Anti-gun billionaires + Low info voters = Passage of Washington I-594

VIP Member
    My understanding is that this is specifically against the TSA rules. The gun is supposed to be in a container that only you have the key for.

I believe You are right Sir.

Not that TSA makes much sense, but, yeah, using a TSA lock would defeat the purpose of using a separate locked case inside your luggage. From TSA website:

# The firearm must be in a hard-sided container.
    # The container must be locked. A locked container is defined as one that completely secures the firearm from access by anyone other than you. Cases that can be pulled open with little effort do not meet this criterion. The pictures provided here illustrate the difference between a properly packaged and an improperly packaged firearm.
    # We recommend that you provide the key or combination to the security officer if he or she needs to open the container. You should remain present during screening to take the key back after the container is cleared. If you are not present and the security officer must open the container, we or the airline will make a reasonable attempt to contact you. If we can't contact you, the container will not be placed on the plane. Federal regulations prohibit unlocked gun cases (or cases with broken locks) on aircraft. TSA locks are not approved for securing firearms.
    # You must securely pack any ammunition in fiber (such as cardboard), wood or metal boxes or other packaging that is specifically designed to carry small amounts of ammunition.
    # You can't use firearm magazines/clips for packing ammunition unless they completely and securely enclose the ammunition (e.g., by securely covering the exposed portions of the magazine or by securely placing the magazine in a pouch, holder, holster or lanyard).
    # You may carry the ammunition in the same hard-sided case as the firearm, as long as you pack it as described above.

I've use the Center of Mass safe to fly with a pistol and a Winchester breakdown shotgun case for a folding stock rifle and a couple of handguns.

Sponsored Links