A different kind of gun safety: avoiding toxic substances and chemicals

This is a discussion on A different kind of gun safety: avoiding toxic substances and chemicals within the Basic Gun Handling & Safety forums, part of the General Firearm Discussion category; I was at the range the other day and it was getting a little smokey. Suddenly the RSO realized the air filter fans were off. ...

Thread: A different kind of gun safety: avoiding toxic substances and chemicals

A different kind of gun safety: avoiding toxic substances and chemicals

I was at the range the other day and it was getting a little smokey. Suddenly the RSO realized the air filter fans were off. They issued a stop firing and got the fans started again. You could really feel the difference in the airflow and the smoke cleared quickly.

A few days later I was at the range at shutdown time and the range went cold as the last shooters packed up. An RSO came in to sweep up, wearing, essentially, a gas mask, which somewhat surprised me.

These two events got me thinking about lead poisoning and other contaminants related to guns and ammo. I'm generally not paranoid about these things but wondered what people's habits are with regard to lead and other toxins, etc.:

1) Do you clean your gun in the house or in the garage? On the kitchen table?
    2) Do you worry about tracking lead into your home after being at the range. Would you wipe down your shoe soles? (What if you have toddlers or a baby?)
    3) How thoroughly do you wash your hands after shooting or cleaning a gun. Do you wear gloves when cleaning?
    4) Do you change your shirt after shooting? Shower?
    5) Do you wash your hands after every time handling your firearm or ammunition?

Does having toddlers or babies affect your answers above?

2. Remove Ads

1) Both inside and outside the house.
    2) No and No (no matter)
    3) Wash thoroughly and don't wear gloves
    4) No
    5) Yes but I wash my hands often anyway

Having toddlers or babies didn't affect my habits. My two sons are now 26 and 23. They seem normal though one has a third ear on the sole of his foot and one seems to be growing a prehensile tail.

Seriously, good common sense goes a long way in handling firearms and their maintenance. I mostly use Hoppe's No. 9 and like to clean outside unless it's too hot or otherwise inclement. It makes no sense to clean in a close atmosphere or where flammable vapors could reach open flames. Courtesy to other inhabitants of the household goes far in avoiding concentrations of solvent vapors.

A minor rant

A generation of Americans have arisen with the "Chicken Little" syndrome. They are frightened of their own shadows. They are scared of everything including global warming, second hand smoke, cell phone generated brain cancer, cholesterol, trans fats, tap water, sun's rays, the sun going out, their health insurance plan, what the Muslims might think about them, meteorites and killer comets, agricultural pesticides, firearms, high school sports, motorcycles without helmets, red meat, and new lot 2400 powder. They're not at all afraid of trading their freedoms away for some tofu and some government protection. If they live long enough they're gonna die but they seem to think they can avoid the event if they will only "watch out" for stuff that's out to get them. They also enjoy pontificating (as I am here) about what they think they know and communicating it to all and sundry in order that everyone can stew about it together.

Rant off

**** Outside on the porch, always.

2) Do you worry about tracking lead into your home after being at the range. Would you wipe down your shoe soles? (What if you have toddlers or a baby?)
    **** Yes, and yes!

3) How thoroughly do you wash your hands after shooting or cleaning a gun. Do you wear gloves when cleaning?
    **** Thoroughly, and yes, always wear gloves. I buy latex ones by the box.

**** Usually not, and no.

**** Always!

**** No.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by cz2075bd View Post
    Basement and garage.

Any shoes I use to go to the range stay in the attached garage. They never go inside the house. I have a 2yo and it is SOP since I knew he would be coming into my life. I did get new carpets, but that was more a function of making the wife happy.

When I use an ultrasonic cleaner, I do not use gloves. The ultrasonic is just water and soap. I do NOT put my hands in while the ultrasonic waves are going. When not using the ultrasonic cleaner, I am at about 80% covered with gloves. I use gojo orange cleaner at home. I have waterless disinfectant and water in my truck for an immediate post-shooting wipedown.

Shoes and socks and outer garments get put in attached garage. I make beeline to lock up guns and to the shower. Then clean clothes and holster after the holster gets a wipedown. Rest dirty-clothes from range trip go to attached garage. All to be washed separately.
    Non-used gun goes in holster. Used gun gets cleaned at my leisure when child and mom are out of the house.

Mostly if I am handling the bullets. But if just the firearm (and it is cleaned) then I do not bother.

[/QUOTE]
    Heck yes.

I am probably overly-cautious, but better to be overly-cautios than to cause any health issue for my child.

I wash my hands from the elbows down right at the range.
    At home, my clothes go directly into the washing machine.
    My guns are almost immediately (within an hour or two) cleaned in the garage...the door is open to the FL heat.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

1) House, garage, living room, dining table, kitchen sink sometimes (soapy water for corrosive). where ever I can find a flat surface.

2) no

3) normal hand wash after shooting and cleaning. No gloves unless I am messing with harder chemicals (strippers, acetone, etc...).

4) only if it is dirty or sweaty. Same for me.

5) no

I get my lead levels tested every year as part of my physical. I have never tested higher then a 4. That is well below the national average and well within norm. I cast, load, and shoot approximately 10k rounds a year. That is a factual number, the math says you only need to do 200 a week for 50 weeks to get there. 200 is a warmup on Sunday morning.

This lead scare is nothing but a greenie scare tactic. Lead can be bad, but your exposure has to be extremely high for it to affect you. Even shooting indoors you have nothing to worry about now that they know about fans and air circulation. Get your lead levels tested annually, and if they are high go donate some blood.

VIP Member
    Clean outside on the patio; wash hands well when done; don't change clothes.

Hopefully the lead went out the muzzle and the gunk left behind is mostly powder residue.

If the lead based paint commonly in use when I was a kid didn't get me, the minuscule amount of lead that I might get on my hands while cleaning a gun won't either.

I do want to add that the other day someone suggested using compressed air as a last step in the cleaning process. Maybe a mask would be appropriate protection during that step.

I clean in the house.

Never concerned myself with tracking lead. figure most of its gone by the time I make my way home.

Normal soap and water after we order food at the diner. (family meal out after family trip to the range)

Change and shower before bed.

I wash my hands before meals and when I'm at work. I tend not to lick my fingers during the day so I don't see a risk. I'm sure I would wash more if I had a toddler.

To those who would worry about lead poisoning or any other (gonna get ya item) don't take life so seriously you'll never get out alive.
    There's nothing wrong with shooting so long as the right people get shot. -- Dirty Harry Calahan

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post

Having toddlers or babies didn't affect my habits. My two sons are now 26 and 23. They seem normal though one has a third ear on the sole of his foot and one seems to be growing a prehensile tail.

Seriously, good common sense goes a long way in handling firearms and their maintenance. I mostly use Hoppe's No. 9 and like to clean outside unless it's too hot or otherwise inclement. It makes no sense to clean in a close atmosphere or where flammable vapors could reach open flames. Courtesy to other inhabitants of the household goes far in avoiding concentrations of solvent vapors.

A minor rant

A generation of Americans have arisen with the "Chicken Little" syndrome. They are frightened of their own shadows. They are scared of everything including global warming, second hand smoke, cell phone generated brain cancer, cholesterol, trans fats, tap water, sun's rays, the sun going out, their health insurance plan, what the Muslims might think about them, meteorites and killer comets, agricultural pesticides, firearms, high school sports, motorcycles without helmets, red meat, and new lot 2400 powder. They're not at all afraid of trading their freedoms away for some tofu and some government protection. If they live long enough they're gonna die but they seem to think they can avoid the event if they will only "watch out" for stuff that's out to get them. They also enjoy pontificating (as I am here) about what they think they know and communicating it to all and sundry in order that everyone can stew about it together.

Rant off
    That's just plain funny
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

A generation of Americans have arisen with the "Chicken Little" syndrome. They are frightened of their own shadows. They are scared of everything including... the sun going out...
    Reminds me of the story about the old hard-of-hearing woman who was attending a lecture about the sun. The professor was saying, "the sun will burn out and be extinct in 6 billion years".

The lady jumped up in a sweat, and said, "Thank God... I thought it was going to burn out in six million years! Whew!
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Administrator
    The danger of Lead exposure/ingestion for Adults is greatly over hyped.
    The danger of Lead exposure for babies, toddlers, young children and pregnant females with yet unborn is very real.

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    A consequence of the environmental movement is that anything which doesn't have roots may kill you. This doen't only apply to lead, but to any other heavy metal. What they don't tell you is that to be toxic, heavy metal exposure must be significant and prolonged. The green wackos working hand in hand with the Brady bunch have tried to shut down ranges due to the lead thats been deposited into the ground. Just where do they think lead came from in the first place?
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

A generation of Americans have arisen with the "Chicken Little" syndrome. They are frightened of their own shadows. They are scared of everything including global warming, second hand smoke, cell phone generated brain cancer, cholesterol, trans fats, tap water, sun's rays, the sun going out, their health insurance plan, what the Muslims might think about them, meteorites and killer comets, agricultural pesticides, firearms, high school sports, motorcycles without helmets, red meat, and new lot 2400 powder....
    Whenever I hear the latest "sky is falling" so-called "study", I just remember a study I read about in the 80's that showed that apples cause cancer. Turned out that in order to reach carcinogenic levels, you would have to eat something like 10 pounds of apples per day for 20 years.

I can't find a reference for it, but in searching, I turned up this article that claims that Macs cause cancer. Now I'm glad I sold my son's iMac.

Links