Easy slide racking

This is a discussion on Easy slide racking within the Basic Gun Handling & Safety forums, part of the General Firearm Discussion category; I currently own a Taurus .38 5 shot revolver. However, I would like to get a 9mm for carry. My problem is I have a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Easy slide racking

Easy slide racking

I currently own a Taurus .38 5 shot revolver. However, I would like to get a 9mm for carry. My problem is I have a disabled right hand, with limited grip so I need a 9mm that is easy to rack. Most I have tried are very difficult, although I have found a Hi Point compact 9mm which I can easily rack. The drawbacks to this gun: 1) cannot mount a laser sight 2) cartridges only hold 8 bullets.

I am a female with average size hands. Can anyone suggest any other 9mm for me to try?

Thanks.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array pcon's Avatar
    I would tend to stay away from CZs...I've owned one and have fondled several. The slides seem to be VERY tight.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

memento mori

VIP Member
    The Ruger P-series have large-ish grips, but have always been easy to work. That is if you don't mind carrying a full size.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

Have you considered changing the way you rack the slide?
    Really, you only have to rack the slide when you first load your gun and if you have a malfunction. When you first load it, hook the rear sight or front corner of the slide on something like a countertop or table (or fashion a specific block of some hard material for the purpose) and push forward using your good hand or good hand + hip. If you have to do this away from a suitable hard surface you can hook the rear sight on your belt, shoe sole, etc. The annual Glock magazine from a couple of years ago showed a police officer with only one arm and how he could fully manipulate his Glock. Course, your situation also brings up the fastest reload is a second gun - luckily you've got one.

Thanks pcon, Copperknight and nedrgr21,

I'll try your suggestions and see how they work!

Are you trying to rack the slide slingshot style (by pinching the rear of the slide between your thumb and index finger and pulling back)? You may have better luck grabbing the slide from the top using your whole hand (palm down just behind the ejection port, thumb pointing towards you). Instead of just pulling back on the slide, pull back with the support hand and shove the gun forward with the primary hand. This technique makes it much easier to rack the slide than the slingshot method.

@Ned - I had never heard of that way to rack but I will definitely remember it if I should have a problem with my offhand or for that matter my good hand. What an interesting suggestion.
    "The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand

NRA Member / Ohio Conceal Carry Instructor
    CHL Holder

Quote Originally Posted by nedrgr21 View Post
    Have you considered changing the way you rack the slide?
    Really, you only have to rack the slide when you first load your gun and if you have a malfunction. When you first load it, hook the rear sight or front corner of the slide on something like a countertop or table (or fashion a specific block of some hard material for the purpose) and push forward using your good hand or good hand + hip. If you have to do this away from a suitable hard surface you can hook the rear sight on your belt, shoe sole, etc. The annual Glock magazine from a couple of years ago showed a police officer with only one arm and how he could fully manipulate his Glock. Course, your situation also brings up the fastest reload is a second gun - luckily you've got one.
    This way defiantly works. You just have to be careful how much you push down, you could break your sights.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    My wife searched long and hard for a pistol that she could function. She finally decided on the Taurus PT-111 Millenium Pro 9mm. She has fired 500-600 rds flawlessly and the gun shoots real well. I was a skeptic but I have shot it and it shoots fine with decent accuracy. This was one of the few that my wife could easily operate the slide and under duress. Check it out.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

this from a newbie: do you think a gunsmith could work with you to make some "slide handle" ie weld something on, that you could rack? or to reduce the spring force? Good luck.

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    I'm going to suggest you go to Blockbuster, or if you have Netflix rent a copy of
    the movie "Valkyrie" with Tom Cruise. He portrays a one handed soldier and near the end he racks the slide on his Walther pistol in a unique way. I could explain it, but seeing it would be more helpful. Besides you could watch the scene more than once if need be.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Easy Racking Methods

Thanks for all the suggestions. I will certainly be trying all the methods ya'll have suggested as well as watching Valkyrie.

I have asked gun dealers if the spring on pistols can be adjusted to make racking easier, but have not found anyone who really seems to know if it can be done or who know how to do it. Anyone else know?

Thanks again for all the help. It's nice that so many are willing to help me with this problem.

I don't know why I never thought of shoving the gun forward to make racking easier. Not thinking outside the box! I'll give it a go tomorrow and let you know how it works for me. Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by firebug8 View Post
    Thanks for all the suggestions. I will certainly be trying all the methods ya'll have suggested as well as watching Valkyrie.

I have asked gun dealers if the spring on pistols can be adjusted to make racking easier, but have not found anyone who really seems to know if it can be done or who know how to do it. Anyone else know?

Thanks again for all the help. It's nice that so many are willing to help me with this problem.
    The issue you will run into on most semi-autos with lightening the spring is that it needs enough force and speed to return the gun to battery and chamber the next round. So a lot of times you can't lighten it up much.

Also, if it is possible for you, try holding the pistol in a hand with the elbow on that arm locked and pointing down, and pull the slide with your other hand. That helped my grandma out when she was having trouble racking a slide

If your firearm has a robust rear sight using a seperate object to rack the slide is a good option.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

A not-great video of some kid with an airsoft gun doing the Tom Cruise Valkyrie method:

YouTube - Valkyrie Way of Cocking a Gun

It's enough to give you the concept. I've done this with my XD-40, and the key seems to be to really get the edge of the desk (table, shooting bench, hitching post, whatever) right on the top edge of the slide frame.

If the barrel touches the table, you've got it too low. If the front sight touches, you've got it too high. Right in the middle is just right. Now push all the way down, let it snap back up, and keep a firm grip.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links