Defensive Carry banner

My wife says our house will blow up!

3K views 16 replies 15 participants last post by  TxCommish 
#1 ·
I have been shooting for a couple of years now, but never come across this question. A friend of my wife says that if we have a house fire, the amo stored in the basement will explode and destroy the house.

I store my amo in several metal and plastic amo boxes in the basement next to an outside wall. I have never considered the possibility of unexpected explosion caused by a house fire or otherwise.

If this is a valid concern, what options do I have besides digging a hole in the back yard and storing it underground?

#2 ·
While it can indeed "blow up"... It would take a real house fire to make it happen.. And being in the basement would be the best place for it,. If you can get a fire proof safe to put it in that would be better,.. Think about it,. Have you even been to a bon-fire when some butt-head puts a 22 in the fire or something larger? It isn't like it explodes right away, it takes a bit to get it hot enough to explode the powder,.. I had a fire for hours once when I was camping and all the sudden a shell exploded in the fire,.. . Must have been left over from someone else and didn't explode with my fire for hours,..

#7 ·
Yep.
She's been watching too many westerns.

BTW I have seen a house blow up for real IRL, and it was due to a natural gas leak as piped into the home for heating and cooking.
The results from that was complete obliteration of the structure.

If she's truly worried about the house blowing up then advise her that she'll have to get rid of her stove, ASAP...if it's gas, NG or propane too.
Same goes for the hot water heater and your backyard grill as well if either of those run on gas.
Oh and the cars you guys drive they gotta go as well...Unless it/they are powered by diesel.

- Janq

#5 ·
The force of a discharged round is sent in all directions. When the round is chambered, the force has nowhere to go but down the barrel (with a tad left over for recoil). When the cartridge isn't tightly constricted, the force simply separates the bullet and casing. Since the casing is lighter, it tends to travel farther but neither piece moves with any life-threatening velocity.

What you'll end up with is a very expensive and very disappointing fireworks display that will be heard but--if it's in the basement--not seen or felt.

#8 ·
Yep, cure her by making a fire sometime and putting a few .22 shells in it and let them cook off. She will be unimpressed by the results.

This happens at times when we clean up around camp and put the raked leaves into the fire. Never fails that on occasion we get a dropped round in there and eventually, pop. Less than stimulating.

#12 ·
With all we have stashed around the place....if we can't put out the fire in short order, we're going to run for it. The neighbors are on their own.
"If you see me running, you'd better catch up!"

#15 ·
Yep. Agree with all that has been said.
My dad's house burned down, and he had a good amount of ammo stored. Nothing too massive. Was a non-issue.
However, he also had a good amount of can goods stored, and a couple of the fire fighters (small town) knew he had guns and ammo; when the cans started exploding they all started to back off thinking it was large ammo blowing, until he explained what it had to be, and they relaxed. A bit. :image035:
If you are a reloader; primers, would be like little firecrackers, but powder stored in larger quantities might present a little excitement!
Black powder can blow, smokeless will burn.

#16 ·
Actually it's completely true, your house will blow up and it will be nasty...

Have them collect all the ammo and put it in something easily transportable and I can come by and collect it, thereby making their house safe for habitation again. I can safely and easily store, and dispose of, lots of .40 and .45 rounds, but I am not picky and will take whatever they have. I will happily perform this service for anyone else as well, since I would hate to have any blown up houses on my conscience :smile:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.