My wife says our house will blow up!

This is a discussion on My wife says our house will blow up! within the Basic Gun Handling & Safety forums, part of the General Firearm Discussion category; I have been shooting for a couple of years now, but never come across this question. A friend of my wife says that if we ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My wife says our house will blow up!

Post My wife says our house will blow up!

I have been shooting for a couple of years now, but never come across this question. A friend of my wife says that if we have a house fire, the amo stored in the basement will explode and destroy the house.

I store my amo in several metal and plastic amo boxes in the basement next to an outside wall. I have never considered the possibility of unexpected explosion caused by a house fire or otherwise.

If this is a valid concern, what options do I have besides digging a hole in the back yard and storing it underground?

2. Remove Ads

While it can indeed "blow up"... It would take a real house fire to make it happen.. And being in the basement would be the best place for it,. If you can get a fire proof safe to put it in that would be better,.. Think about it,. Have you even been to a bon-fire when some butt-head puts a 22 in the fire or something larger? It isn't like it explodes right away, it takes a bit to get it hot enough to explode the powder,.. I had a fire for hours once when I was camping and all the sudden a shell exploded in the fire,.. . Must have been left over from someone else and didn't explode with my fire for hours,..

Administrator
    No, it wont blow up. That is silliness. They will cook off, thats about it.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Your more likely to be injured/killed by the fire or smoke than the ammo. The shell casings would be flying around but not the lead. This may keep the firefighters at bay if it poses any danger to them. IMO
    “Put your pain in a box. Lock it down. No man is stronger than one who can harness his emotions.” -Act of Valor

Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar
    The force of a discharged round is sent in all directions. When the round is chambered, the force has nowhere to go but down the barrel (with a tad left over for recoil). When the cartridge isn't tightly constricted, the force simply separates the bullet and casing. Since the casing is lighter, it tends to travel farther but neither piece moves with any life-threatening velocity.

What you'll end up with is a very expensive and very disappointing fireworks display that will be heard but--if it's in the basement--not seen or felt.
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    If you are worried about it, I would buy a fire safe that can fit your ammo. That should keep the ammo from cooking off before the FD gets there. Having the ammo in the basement is smart, too, because it will not get as hot down there as fast.
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    No, it wont blow up. That is silliness. They will cook off, thats about it.
    Yep.
    She's been watching too many westerns.

BTW I have seen a house blow up for real IRL, and it was due to a natural gas leak as piped into the home for heating and cooking.
    The results from that was complete obliteration of the structure.

If she's truly worried about the house blowing up then advise her that she'll have to get rid of her stove, ASAP...if it's gas, NG or propane too.
    Same goes for the hot water heater and your backyard grill as well if either of those run on gas.
    Oh and the cars you guys drive they gotta go as well...Unless it/they are powered by diesel.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Yep, cure her by making a fire sometime and putting a few .22 shells in it and let them cook off. She will be unimpressed by the results.

This happens at times when we clean up around camp and put the raked leaves into the fire. Never fails that on occasion we get a dropped round in there and eventually, pop. Less than stimulating.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

VIP Member
    Where did her friend get her information, MSNBC?

Tell her theres a lot more potential for a home explosion from her burritos or chili than your ammo
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

What a Releif!

I thought for a minute I was going to have to make a choice - home cooked meals or my guns.

With all we have stashed around the place....if we can't put out the fire in short order, we're going to run for it. The neighbors are on their own.
    "If you see me running, you'd better catch up!"

OOOps I forgot about the 40 pounds of gunpowder in the closet
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Tell her theres a lot more potential for a home explosion from her burritos or chili than your ammo
    now that's funny!
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

Yep. Agree with all that has been said.
    My dad's house burned down, and he had a good amount of ammo stored. Nothing too massive. Was a non-issue.
    However, he also had a good amount of can goods stored, and a couple of the fire fighters (small town) knew he had guns and ammo; when the cans started exploding they all started to back off thinking it was large ammo blowing, until he explained what it had to be, and they relaxed. A bit.
    If you are a reloader; primers, would be like little firecrackers, but powder stored in larger quantities might present a little excitement!
    Black powder can blow, smokeless will burn.
    This is the law;
    The purpose of fighting is to win.
    There is no possible victory in defense.
    The sword is more important than the shield and skill is more important than either.
    The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental. - John Steinbeck

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links