Beginner/Novice Firearms Safety Issues

This is a discussion on Beginner/Novice Firearms Safety Issues within the Basic Gun Handling & Safety forums, part of the General Firearm Discussion category; I recently have been planning to leaving my handguns and rifles to my younger brother of 45 years old in the event of my untimely ...

Thread: Beginner/Novice Firearms Safety Issues

Beginner/Novice Firearms Safety Issues

I recently have been planning to leaving my handguns and rifles to my younger brother of 45 years old in the event of my untimely demise. He has never owned a personal firearm before but he is the only likely relative to leave my firearms to upon my death.

He is at best a "novice" to the safe handling of firearms. I've taken him to an indoor gun range several times in the past 10 years. He knows that I place an important part of gun ownership on safety. I have to prepare him to retrieve my handguns & rifles in the event of my death. I don't want my guns falling into the wrong hands!!

Here is my question. I'm inclined to start with the very basics of firearms safety. This seems to be the logical place to start.

My brother has ONLY handled and fired my handguns at an indoor range. He has NEVER handled my rifles at all. This is also while I was looking over his shoulder as he shot 3 of my handguns. I explained the range rules in advance but he has not fired a firearm or handled a firearm is over 5 years. But, the safe handling of my firearms when the time arises still concerns me. I want to prepare him to safely handle my guns when the time comes.

What do you think? Any suggestions on how to approach this subject?
    "Gun control is being able to hit your target."
    Glock 26

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    I would begin with a question " Would you like to have all my guns if something happen to me"?

I am leaving all of my to my daughter.......because my son is a ....never mind...
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

My younger brother has told me that in the event I should die he would "accept" my guns. But he has told me that he would most likely sell my guns. I can accept this from his point of view.

My primary concern was knowing that he would know how to safely handle my guns upon being notified that I had passed away. I'm only 51 so I plan on living a good while longer.

BUT, I have to plan for the safe removal of my guns from my home after I pass away. My primary concern was for my younger brother's safety. He should know how to safely handle the guns. This is common sense from my point of view.

He has already told me that he would accept responsibility for my guns upon my death. I have no children. My younger brother is my only option.
    Glock 26

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    I'm inclined to start with the very basics of firearms safety. This seems to be the logical place to start.
    I would agree with your assessment. Part of the basics of firearm safety is learning how each firearm functions. As far as I'm concerned, if you dont know how each individual firearm works, you will not understand the safety basics for them either. Getting your brother involved in shooting will help immensely. If he is interested in firearms, he will be more eager to learn.

Or ... you could will them to me.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

Pickachu,
    I'm in my early 40's and available for immediate adoption, I have a good knowledge of firearms safety and promise to take great care of your treasures. lol!

If your brother is serious about selling your guns, perhaps he could have someone from your local gun shop help him remove your guns with the intention of having their value assessed.

I'm sure this will not be an issue for quite some time.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

I'm a little closer to the scenario than I'd like, but hey, we can't live forever! Up until the past year, my guns would have just been found by whoever found me but that has changed. One of my daughters has recently moved to the area and has developed an interest in firearms. I have take her to the range a couple of times and she can shoot! She has her own Glock but recently has been lusting after my 1911. guess I raised her right! Soon enough.......
    --
    If I'm repeating myself, or repeating myself differently, it's probably 'cause of the brain cells I've murdered and the selective memory caused by concussions, contusions and confusions. Oh yeah, and that one night in Dallas.

NRA-Life Member
    ATA- Life Member
    --Guns? What guns?--

If your brother IS interested (he is an adult), hopefully, he'd get some kind of training.
    If you gave him a new chainsaw (and he'd never used one)...I don't think he would try to operate one without some type of instruction...he wouldn't would he? A gun is just another tool, and should be treated in the same manner.OMO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

If he plans to sell them, and you don't mind that.... make sure he knows "how to sell them legally" , and the relevant values of the guns. This will prevent him going to some dealer getting them off him for pennies on the dollar.

I'm currently drafting a letter to be included in my final important documents to cover those precise topics. As much as I can explain to him he is very unaware of the legal issues of legally selling firearms.

I only want my guns to go to people who LEGALLY can possess firearms. I'm certain that he has no idea of the laws of the state of NV as to who can/cannot possess firearms. That will be included in my final wishes.

My brother knows that I carry my G26 on my 99% of the time. If I should be involved in a very serious car accident that sends me to the hospital I have told one him to ask one very specific question to ask the hospital. What happened to the Glock 26 I was carrying at the time of the accident.

In a worse case scenario I'll be including a request that my brother contact the local police if he has any questions. This will include the retrieval, safe handling, etc. of my firearms. The last thing I want is my brother getting injured or worse from handling my firearms.

As I said, he is at best a novice when it comes to firearms. It is unfortunate all the same that I have no one in the immediate area in which to leave my weapons. Aside from some members of this group have expressed an interest in my guns. lol
    Glock 26

Links