Firearm safety... please read

This is a discussion on Firearm safety... please read within the Basic Gun Handling & Safety forums, part of the General Firearm Discussion category; Just in case he does not show this weekend, I am exploring the best way to dislodge the round. I think I read here about ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Firearm safety... please read

Just in case he does not show this weekend, I am exploring the best way to dislodge the round. I think I read here about loading up a blank cartridge. Someone said something about just loading a primered casing while others said to use a lesser charge with a small amount of paper towel wadding.

I have a friend that reloads. He suggested that we load up about half the charge of a normal .38 with a wax wadding. He referrred to the fact that some people load with wax to shoot in their garage for practice.

Any thoughts on this?
    NRA Instructor

NRA Endowment Member

Be a mentor to the youth of our communities.
    Show them the way to shoot for the moon.
    If they miss, push them to reach out for a star.
    If any gang banger punks try to divert their attention...
    show them the light as well.

2. Remove Ads

Get a wooden dowel & drive it back, It should go easy. ; ) H/D PS NO
    DON"T Shoot anything without removing the squib/slug/bullet whatever
    you want to call it !!
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

Update:

This character finally kept an appointment... well sort of. He was supposed to meet me on Friday a couple of weeks ago. Friday came and went and I finally got him to answer on Saturday. After a few pauses and stutters, he stated that he tried to call me several times on Friday. I have Sprint wireless that I used to have problems with inside my house. Sprint provided me with a device called an Airave that gives me 100% signal in and around my house. It is in the bedroom I converted into an office and I was in that room all day on Friday working on work related issues. I had a few calls, no missed calls, and none of the successful calls were from him.

Collins required that I drive 2 hours to San Antonio to meet him. He bought my gun from me for $55 LESS than what I paid to replace the gun. By that time, I was ready to end the fiasco and took his check.

As long as you are willing to wait two months or more, he will probably keep his word. You make the decision on your own. Is Collins Cartridge Co the place you want to do business with? I probably will buy from him again after I get over being jerked around. There probably isn't many reloading companies out there that would have done anything about this in the first place.
    NRA Instructor

NRA Endowment Member

Be a mentor to the youth of our communities.
    Show them the way to shoot for the moon.
    If they miss, push them to reach out for a star.
    If any gang banger punks try to divert their attention...
    show them the light as well.

I know your problem is now solved, but I'd like to make it perfectly clear for others who may have a squib. Unless another round is fired before the obstruction is cleared, a stuck bullet will not harm your gun. Simply oil up the bore, get a brass or aluminum rod just slightly smaller than bore diameter and tap the bullet out. If the gun is an auto, remove the barrel and drive out from the breech end if the bullet is closer to the muzzle than the chamber. A revolver requires that the bullet be driven from the muzzle end regardless of the bullet's position in the barrel. I do not recommend using a wooden dowel as wood can split and wedge around the bullet making removal much more difficult (been there, done that ). And with all due respect, I would never recommend using a blank cartridge to remove a stuck bullet.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

This has been a very educational thread for me. I've never had a squib nor seen one. I'm glad to know what to watch out for and what to do about it and the fact that it will not hurt the firearm if you do not send another round behind it. I'm glad you recognized it and you were OK and I appreciate the information.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

My turn....

My late father used to collect guns and took me shooting with his huge 45 revolver that looked like something from the old westerns. Problem is the ammo looked the same way, like it was issued at the same time as the gun.

After a couple ok rounds, he had 1 stick in the barrel and took a long screwdriver and hammer and pounded it out, then shot some more and pounded out another. I was surprised at how nonchalant he was about it all.

He said he was shooting up the old ammo to get rid of it. I hadn't thought about that for decades but this thread brought it back. Now I wonder, just how do you get rid of really old/wet/unsafe ammo?

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cvhoss View Post
    I know your problem is now solved, but I'd like to make it perfectly clear for others who may have a squib. Unless another round is fired before the obstruction is cleared, a stuck bullet will not harm your gun. Simply oil up the bore, get a brass or aluminum rod just slightly smaller than bore diameter and tap the bullet out. If the gun is an auto, remove the barrel and drive out from the breech end if the bullet is closer to the muzzle than the chamber. A revolver requires that the bullet be driven from the muzzle end regardless of the bullet's position in the barrel. I do not recommend using a wooden dowel as wood can split and wedge around the bullet making removal much more difficult (been there, done that ). And with all due respect, I would never recommend using a blank cartridge to remove a stuck bullet.

Hoss
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

yea, having this happen while I am doing double taps or some other kind of fast shooting drill scares the crap outa me!
    Wo die Notwehr aufhört, fängt der Mord an
    (Murder begins where self-defense ends)
    Georg Büchner

Quote Originally Posted by puffer View Post
    He proceeded to open up & managed to get off 5 rounds then the gun JAMMED.When he checked, he saw that a round was jammed between the cylinder & receiver. He put a cleaning rod down the barrel & discovered that there were other rounds still in the barrel.
    I had a similar situation several years ago. A guy was reloading .38 wadcutters and wanted the mildest recoil possible. In that respect, he succeeded.

The only problem was, at least the first two were squibs. The first two out of seven, that is. It was a 8 3/8" Model 28, and it wasn't until the cylinder bound up at the front that he thought something was amiss. He asked me to look at it, and I realized that there was a round stuck about .25" from the muzzle, and another sticking out of the forcing cone.

Lovely.

He'd fired six, then reloaded. He didn't notice that holes were not appearing on the target.

In a more recent case, a shooter was running .44 Magnums, then switched to Specials. Naturally, he expected the recoil and report to be milder, so he didn't notice that they were much milder. This is the result of a reputable factory squib, followed by a properly charged round:

He got in touch with CorBon, who offered to replace the gun immediately. They asked what model it was, and upon hearing that it was a discontinued gun, they called S&W, and S&W found the parts to make a new one, identical to the customer's broken gun.

The customer had the new gun in about ten days and did not pay a dime for the new gun.

Squibs happen more than people think!
    a few wise words:
    1) dont buy reloaded ammo. buy factory or make your own- but still expect squibs anyways!
    2) always, always expect a squib. be ESPECIALLY careful when practicing double taps, or in compentition when you are trying to shoot faster
    3) be SURE to tell any person you are shooting with as well! I teach people how to shoot all the time and this is very very important.
    Wo die Notwehr aufhört, fängt der Mord an
    (Murder begins where self-defense ends)
    Georg Büchner

Good thing you had the presence of mind to stop and check the weapon before you pulled the trigger again....

Stay safe.
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

I've been practicing double taps recently and after reading this I'm concerned I wouldn't recognize a squib before I squeeze the trigger again. I thought of an idea to "practice" for squibs and wonder what y'alls thoughts are on this: putting a snap-cap randomly in the magazine. That way you get a round that has no recoil and the wrong sound (no sound, really). The goal is to do double taps except don't tap after the snap cap. I guess this is as close as you can get to practicing for a squib until somebody invents a snap cap that makes a squib pffft sound.
    pro-CZ's, pro-AR's, anti-CZAR's

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links