advice please

advice please

This is a discussion on advice please within the Basic Gun Handling & Safety forums, part of the General Firearm Discussion category; I am having some small issues with recoil on my side arms. I dont get much time to shoot so i thinking it is just ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: advice please

advice please

I am having some small issues with recoil on my side arms. I dont get much time to shoot so i thinking it is just lack of practice with the guns.
    I am basically shooting all over the board with my revolver any tips of advice on how to keep it steady would be great.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    the way to be safe is never to be secure.
    Benjamin franklin

The obvious suggestion is more live fire practice.
    Sounds easy when you say it fast.
    I work a rotating shift so trips to the range are too few.
    Dry fire might be of help to you.
    If you have a set of laser grips, this will help show you where the strike will be when the hammer falls.
    "Deine Papieren bitte?" or "ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ !"
    (Choose only one)
    NRA Endowment Member
    "I bark at no man's bid. I will never come and go, and fetch and carry, at the whistle of the great man in the White House no matter who he is." -- David Crockett

VIP Member
    Work on your trigger squeeze, an old trick (while dry firing) is to place a dime on the front sight. The goal is for the dime to fall only when the hammer does.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    Work on your trigger squeeze, an old trick (while dry firing) is to place a dime on the front sight. The goal is for the dime to fall only when the hammer does.
    +1

That was my problem i was shifting the gun slightly when i pulled the trigger which in turn threw the aim off.

If you have a laser put it on and do some dry firing and watch the laser move on trigger pull.

VIP Member
    Dry fire practice would be a good help, but do it right! Don't squeeze the grip with your "strong" hand while pulling the trigger, your "weak" hand should be doing the sueezing of the grip. If you squeeze with your whole strong hand, you WILL move the gun while firing. Also make sure you have the propper grip with both hands.

Have a buddy load your gun, including randomly placed snap caps, and have him/her watch from the side as you fire. If you push the gun forward and down when it doesn't fire, you're anticipating the recoil, and need to practice letting the gun go off, not firing the gun.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

If possible, shooting the revolver "single action" should allow you to hold a steadier sight picture as you're learning.
    The "dry firing" advice is also good. I never heard about the dime trick, sounds like a good way to practice as well.

wear a wrist brace for a few times... and get used to keeping it straight and locking your wrist in a good position...

IMHO, there usually are 1 of 4 reasons ( often 2, 3 or all 4. )

1. Trigger pull (as discussed above) NOTE A steady straight back squeeze, with just the tip of the finger.
    2/3 NO FOLLOW through. ( you either relax your wrist & or shoulders as the gun fires & or look up as the gun is fired )
    The "snap cap drill mentioned above is GREAT
    4. Pulling your head as you finish you trigger squeeze or as the gun goes off. Anticipating recoil or flash.

IMHO, if you have a lazer

& use it in dry fire drills it is GREAT

Puffer

Good advice. I have some trouble sometimes too. I'm able to practice in spurts, then when I get back to the range I'm terrible. Thanks for the post.
    Glock 27

"Criminals are a cowardly and superstitious lot."

Quote Originally Posted by roalho View Post
    If possible, shooting the revolver "single action" should allow you to hold a steadier sight picture as you're learning.
    The "dry firing" advice is also good. I never heard about the dime trick, sounds like a good way to practice as well.
    I agree about the shooting SA. Just cock the hammer and try that. For most revolvers it's not recommended to dry fire them. Find some snap caps for that.

Lay off the coffee. For a self defense revolvers I don't recommend shooting single action. Learn sound techniques and practice those techniques. Smith and Wesson has some tips on their web site, might want to check them out. Good luck.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

In addition to dry fire practice with a laser sight, get a trigger job by a gunsmith competent to do a trigger job on your revolver. You will be amazed at how much easier it will be to shoot accurately with a nice trigger pull. Remember your shooting basics regarding breathing. Finger exercises to strengthen your fingers might help.
    Obligation of Carry by Nutnfancy
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gIHDHZf1TA

Targets

I have some files that would allow you to print out diagnostic targets that give you advice as to how to fix a bad shot by where it is placed. If your e-mail address is registered I will send them to you. If it is not, send me your e-mail address in a Provate mail message or e-mail message and I will reply with the files.
    NRA Instructor

NRA Endowment Member

Be a mentor to the youth of our communities.
    Show them the way to shoot for the moon.
    If they miss, push them to reach out for a star.
    If any gang banger punks try to divert their attention...
    show them the light as well.

There is a another thing you should be practiced at, BREATHING

Well, if you're truly all over the board--like a shotgun--it's a relatively easy fix.

GET WITH AN INSTRUCTOR. It may seem expensive and frivolous at first, but you'll save a grand in ammo and failed attempts to solve it on your own. An instructor can diagnose your shooting and help you solve it--in 10 minutes you'll know the problem and in an hour it'll be over.

If not, here are some things to look at/think about:

You either have an issue with using your sights--and that could mean that you're blinking or just not looking at them--or you have so much motion in your hold that you can't replicate a given shot.

Look solidly at the top center of your front sight in slow fire. You want equal light, equal height, target fuzzy. If the gun starts to move, take it down and BREATHE. Shoot your 6 shots as 6 one shot strings rather than one six shot string, breathe between shots, look at the clouds, whatever. Then settle in and do it again.

Resist the temptation to look over the gun to see where you hit the target. This will tend to make you shoot high (because you're looking before the shot breaks). Just disregard the results until your string is done, then go down and have a look.

Relax. Keep your arms relaxed from the shoulders to the wrists. If they are tense they will tend to wobble after 6-10 seconds (they want air). if you're relaxed you'll have MUCH more time before movement sets in. You can't fight recoil and win, so live with it. Let it happen--let the gun come up and settle back in naturally. If the gun stays pointed up in recoil, you're gripping too hard. Relax. If you feel like you should be on the cover of SWAT Monthly, you're trying too hard.

Breathing--that is great advice. A lot of new shooters hold their breath while they shoot. They start to run out of air and jerk the trigger when the sights are close--they rush the shot so they can breathe. Plan B? Breathe normally while you shoot.

Of course, this is for bullseye shooting. For Defensive shooting, we have a whole different set of parameters.

Dan
    "What does Marcellus Wallace LOOK like?"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links