another Snubbie question

This is a discussion on another Snubbie question within the Basic Gun Handling & Safety forums, part of the General Firearm Discussion category; I own and carry a 638 Airweight, Bodyguard and was wondering about the danger of shooting from retention due to the gasses coming from the ...

Thread: another Snubbie question

another Snubbie question

I own and carry a 638 Airweight, Bodyguard and was wondering about the danger of shooting from retention due to the gasses coming from the where the cylinder meets the barrel. We all know or at least hope we do not to have your fingers near that area. I was just wondering if it would burn you/your shirt, etc? Thanks in advance.Great site

2. Remove Ads

I wouldn't pracice like that. If my life depended on shooting from retention I would shoot and just deal with any flash. Unless you have some serious cylinder timing problems nothing too solid should be escaping.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Take a pistol SD course and you will shoot from retention. You'll be close to the target, close enough to touch it. Then you'll draw and fire, it's not really a big deal, but not the same as normal fire...you should practice this, as this is what most likely will happen in a WalMart parking lot.OMOYMV
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

It will cause a powder burn....it is not a particulary bad injury. The 357 Magnum has the most muzzel / cylinder gap flash of any defensive caliber. Modern fast burning powders help but don't eliminate this problem. When I was a young buck we used K-Frames with 125 Gr. 357 Mags, we were taught to index by muzzel flash at night!

Thanks for the replies, i agree you wouldn't want to do this all the time and if you did Have to use this technique, i would just deal with it. With that said I also agree that one should practice this for SD. Again , thanks for your response.

Links