I may need to play the Rainbow Bridge; UPDATE, Gus is feeling better!

I may need to play the Rainbow Bridge; UPDATE, Gus is feeling better!

This is a discussion on I may need to play the Rainbow Bridge; UPDATE, Gus is feeling better! within the Bob & Terry's Place forums, part of the The Back Porch category; As I type this, I am getting ready for work and Mrs. GB is already on her way. About 5 years ago, we rescued a ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: I may need to play the Rainbow Bridge; UPDATE, Gus is feeling better!

VIP Member

Unhappy I may need to play the Rainbow Bridge; UPDATE, Gus is feeling better!

As I type this, I am getting ready for work and Mrs. GB is already on her way.

About 5 years ago, we rescued a German Shorthaired Pointer named Gus. He's a magnificent boy, of championship breeding, and is approaching the age of 15. Yes, we rescued him when he was 10.

He's now a crotchety old fart who keeps pretty much to himself and keeps us safe from the neighbourhood cats and raccoons. Our other dogs pretty much let him do what he wants. And yes, he has found a special place in our hearts.

On Saturday, he started bleeding, heavily, out of his nose. We managed to stop it. It happened again on Sunday, and again we stopped it. Yesterday morning, it started again, and was worse.

Long story made short. I made a mad dash, with Gus, to the local vet, getting blood all over the back of Mrs GB's Explorer (neither of us care about that).

A lot of medical jargon later, our vet tells us we probably have a decision to make.

I just stopped his bleeding again before stopping to type this.

Dog lovers out there, please say a special prayer for our Gussie, or the G man as we often call him.

Thank you.
    Last edited by SIXTO; March 18th, 2010 at 12:42 AM. Reason: updated title at OP's request
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

Administrator
    Thats tough. Old bird dogs are the best kind IMO.

I know its not an easy decision to make, but putting him down sooner rather than later just might be the best thing you ever did for him.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    Sorry to hear about the G man's health decline. Dogs hold a special place in their owners hearts, don't they. Hope he can go painlessly, for his sake and yours. My prayers will be with you, and him.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Sorry to hear. Always a tough deal.

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

Sorry GB.

I recently lost an old friend...she was 14 and a Rottie.

She died "on her own" and we saw it coming for a couple of weeks as she just wanted to lie in the sun or as close as she could be to me or the cat she had adopted a few years back (and whose kittens she helped "raise").

It's hard and you have my sympathy.
    Gun Control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound.

-- L. Neil Smith

It's an heart breaking thing to deal with. I lost Sam who was a yellow lab a couple years ago. I had him from birth to death which was 13 years. In the 13 years he was a true friend and you don't find many of them. I will keep you in my prayers and hang in there.

Just remember that the "G Man" had the best of everything in the last years of his life, and it was you who gave it to him. When I die I want to go where all of the good dogs have gone.

That's harsh, my dogs are rescues. You gave him a great home, I wish someone would make the end of my life that good. Be sad, then give another pup a second chance. Bless you.
    I'm not a lawyer or a LEO, just a pantload with a computer.

Distinguished Member Array Arko's Avatar
    Sorry my friend. I can't imagine how torn up you must be.
    "Don't Tread on Me"

Dogs' lives are too short. Their only fault, really.

Prayers on the way for Gus.
    Samwolf

"One of the ordinary modes, by which tyrants accomplish their purposes without resistance, is, by disarming the people, and making it an offense to keep arms."

-- Supreme Court Justice Joseph Story, 1840

Distinguished Member Array Der Alte's Avatar
    Prayers for Gus. Its tough when they have been around for a long time. My two are 14 and 15.
    Its a shame that youth is wasted on the young.

My thoughts and prayers are with you and Gus tonight. I went through the same heartbreaking time with a young Lab a few years ago and even though I have another Lab-Rot mix now (see avatar) who I love dearly I still think of my little Lab Cricket just about every day.
    If you cannot stand behind our troops feel free to stand in front of them.

GOD BLESS AMERICA!

If you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself..."Baa."

GunnyBunny,

I am really sorry to hear this. I do get emotional over the loss of pets. Normally, I'm just an old grumpy old fart who doesn't care much for people, but I have a special place in my heart for our canine friends.
    I undersand the 'hurt'...hang in there.

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    That is a real bummer. I do understand the pain though.

He has cared for your family all these years, now its your turn to see he does not suffer much longer. So sorry.

VIP Member
    Sorry to hear about Gus. I understand the pain your feeling and what your going through, been there many times. Just remember to do what is best for Gus. He'll understand by your tears that it's his welfare your thinking of.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links