There is no better way to put it.....

This is a discussion on There is no better way to put it..... within the Bob & Terry's Place forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I am not trying to be a downer here and I hope you all do not think I am trolling for sympathy but.... I have ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: There is no better way to put it.....

There is no better way to put it.....

I am not trying to be a downer here and I hope you all do not think I am trolling for sympathy but....

I have been unemployed or underemployed for 4 years. I have not collected a lick of unemployment benefits because I have resigned from all my previous jobs. It was a choice I did not want to make but had to because of the circumstances in my life which were greater than myself that get in the way of everyone who is trying to live a "normal" life.

Right now I am trying to get minimum wage jobs that I am being turned down for because of lack of experience. I am a college graduate who was medically discharged from the military after one year.

I have no children thank God otherwise I would be way worse off. I would like to get married to my girlfriend of 4 years but it would just be too irresponsible right now. I have made the right decisions every step of my life and by the standards of our society I have failed. By the standards of living a good, just, and moral life though, I have succeeded graciously.

I often wonder if maybe I should just accept a job as a night stocker for Wal Mart and just climb the latter as high as I can go until I do not have the strength to tie my shoes anymore. In one way it does not sound bad but in another it would be giving up on myself and accepting mediocrity when I know I am worth so much more.

These are trying times.

I will soon have to start selling off my guns to afford to live because I have nothing else of value. My car has hit the skids as well so I can no longer go anywhere.

2. Remove Ads

Wow sorry 2 hear of your miss fortune. By all means keep your head up, Dude.

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by earlthegoat2 View Post
    I am not trying to be a downer here and I hope you all do not think I am trolling for sympathy but....

I have been unemployed or underemployed for 4 years. I have not collected a lick of unemployment benefits because I have resigned from all my previous jobs. It was a choice I did not want to make but had to because of the circumstances in my life which were greater than myself that get in the way of everyone who is trying to live a "normal" life.

Right now I am trying to get minimum wage jobs that I am being turned down for because of lack of experience. I am a college graduate who was medically discharged from the military after one year.

I have no children thank God otherwise I would be way worse off. I would like to get married to my girlfriend of 4 years but it would just be too irresponsible right now. I have made the right decisions every step of my life and by the standards of our society I have failed. By the standards of living a good, just, and moral life though, I have succeeded graciously.

I often wonder if maybe I should just accept a job as a night stocker for Wal Mart and just climb the latter as high as I can go until I do not have the strength to tie my shoes anymore. In one way it does not sound bad but in another it would be giving up on myself and accepting mediocrity when I know I am worth so much more.

These are trying times.

I will soon have to start selling off my guns to afford to live because I have nothing else of value. My car has hit the skids as well so I can no longer go anywhere.
    You are not alone. I just, literally just did, post on my local forum of my troubles.

I too have been unemployed, however, only since November. I have been underemployed for a few years before my current unemployment. I also did not qualify for unemployment benefits due to my leaving a job on my own and because I was not employed for a long enough period of time.

I am honorably discharged veteran from the US Army and I just found out yesterday that I get absolutely no veterans preference through Florida state employment because of my service dates. I am a non-combat era veteran.

I have applied for literally hundreds of jobs and have had no calls to any for an interview. I have one hopeful and that is with an OPS part time position with Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission but they are really dragging me out on the approval stage over a bad check I wrote 10 years ago.

I have about $11.00 cash to my name, no savings, no resources to work with and I have already sold all of my guns except my XD45 carry piece. I have sold all of my ammunition stock except for about 100 hollow points.

I have a quarter tank of fuel in my Jeep and that isn't enough to go to a new job for more than two days if I did get hired somewhere.

My Jeep tires are almost completely bald and are useless for a longer distance travel. I could also be ticketed if I got stopped. I cannot afford even to get used tires to drive on.

On the good side, I also have no children and no wife to be dependent on my income. I own my Jeep and have nearly no bills except the essentials which are about to be lost. My electricity bill is over due, my phone bill is over due and my car insurance is only paid through this month.

I literally don't know what to do myself, but, as I said, you are not alone. I have never been in this position before and it is scary to think how many people are in our exact position or worse.
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

The Lord is able to make a way where there is no way!!

This is a good time to draw close to the Lord.

I have been unemployed homeless with family, wife and 5 kids, and the Lord brought us through it, have faith.

When you have loose all that the world has to offer start looking up and have faith.
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

Earl and Tally,

I don't know how much comfort this will be, but I will be praying for you both.

I'm sorry that life has hit you this way.

May God bless you both with good stuff SOON.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by searcher 45 View Post
    The Lord is able to make a way where there is no way!!

This is a good time to draw close to the Lord.

I have been unemployed homeless with family, wife and 5 kids, and the Lord brought us through it, have faith.

When you have loose all that the world has to offer start looking up and have faith.
    Quote Originally Posted by miklcolt45 View Post
    Earl and Tally,

I don't know how much comfort this will be, but I will be praying for you both.

I'm sorry that life has hit you this way.

May God bless you both with good stuff SOON.
    I hope I am not hijacking this thread, but I certainly thank you for your kind wishes for me and the original poster as well.

I will say that I don't even hope for the good stuff as to material things in life. I just am baffled at the difficulty finding a job. I have even worked the past two weeks and now the owner tells me he has no money in the bank with which to pay me. He says none of his employees got paid this week. So, two weeks of my time, money and labor for nothing.
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.

I do understand bad times...they happen to all of us in different ways, and at different times in life...even tonight (a bit of a story).

I will also add you to my DC prayer list...it works.
    There is a purpose to everything in life that happen to us...hang in there!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Sorry to hear about both of your issues. I was unemployed for a long portion of '09 and like you had no unemployment benefits to draw on. I would suggest, if you haven't yet looking for jobs with nearby cities and counties. Not only is it a good trip for your time (you can apply for every job the city has at once, as opposed to going to each place and applying individually) but from my experience they also pay fairly well. I'd be willing to bet most of the jobs available that you'd have the experience for would be considered ***** work, but like I said they pay well.

They city I work for pays our park maint. guys around $16/hour starting. Which isn't bad for work that ranges from mowing lawns (riding and industrial size push), collecting trash, basic up keep, etc. Not to say these are the only jobs readily available, but I know on our site it's one of the few jobs open to the public.

Best of luck for everyone on here that's in a rough spot.

Tally XD- you are not hijacking anything

This thread is for you too.

It is nice (in a good way) to know there are others out there with me and nice to know there are others supporting me too. I have a strong family base and am close and they will bail me out in a pinch. I never want it to reach that point though.

LeChuck- I know your intentions are good but the jobs just are not there. If there was any hope anywhere it has been tried already.

It helps to know there are people praying out there for me. I was never in a position where I did not think somebody did not care but it is nice to know there are so many out there who do.

Quote Originally Posted by earlthegoat2 View Post
    Tally XD- you are not hijacking anything

This thread is for you too.

It is nice (in a good way) to know there are others out there with me and nice to know there are others supporting me too. I have a strong family base and am close and they will bail me out in a pinch. I never want it to reach that point though.

LeChuck- I know your intentions are good but the jobs just are not there. If there was any hope anywhere it has been tried already.

It helps to know there are people praying out there for me. I was never in a position where I did not think somebody did not care but it is nice to know there are so many out there who do.

Thank you Earl!

As to the jobs, there are some jobs out there. The problem is the amount of applicants for each job is not what it used to be. There are many many more people applying for that same position and it makes your chances go way down.

Earl, by all means, take the Walmart job! Take any job that comes your way for the time being.

I'm praying for both you and TallyXD.

I hope you both find something soon.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Administrator
    I guess those other jobs weren't so beneath you after all. Take the Walmart job and be the best damn stocker they ever saw. You will build up a resume, and maybe even go farther within Walmart.

Good luck.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I wish you both the best, and I'll be praying for you also. Hang in there, our Country is going through one of it's worst periods for employment, it has to change soon.

Sorry to hear the bad news. Things will get better. I would take the Walmart job, I would take a job flipping burgers. There is nothing wrong with any job that put food on the table, gas in the tank, money in your pocket. Take a job as a schlepe but be the best darn schlepe that there is.

Take pride in your job.

As other people stated be the best at your new job. Be early, stay late.

Can you create a business from home? Fix computers ? Cleaning others peoples homes?

Is there somethings you love to do?

What you can offer the owner/boss/manager that the other person can not.

kpw
    That Walmart job is honest work. A man that does what he has to to make an honest living never has anything to be ashamed of. All I can say is I've been there and this tough time will pass and you will be better for it. Good luck to you and hold your head high no matter what job you take.
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links