An update just because you people have been so great. I called my father.

This is a discussion on An update just because you people have been so great. I called my father. within the Bob & Terry's Place forums, part of the The Back Porch category; You will be better for this! Regardless of what happens in the future you can feel good that you made the effort. No guilt from ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: An update just because you people have been so great. I called my father.

You will be better for this! Regardless of what happens in the future you can feel good that you made the effort. No guilt from here on out. I hope it works out for you and your dad and you get to know him and maybe forgive him for the past. It will help the both of you. Congrats!

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I'm really glad to hear it went well. I hope for you that the relationship grows.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

That is great to hear, That sounds way beter than hate and bitterness. Glad you made the choice.
    NRA Endowment Member
    USCCA Member
    Certified Glock Armorer
    Patriot Guard Rider

Thanks for the update! I hope it all works out for you.
    Don't do things you don't want to explain to the Paramedics!

Stupidity should be painful.

Great news! It was the right thing to do, how it plays out remains to be seen, but it certainly can't hurt.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

That's great.

VIP Member
    Outstanding! Thanks for the update.

Once they're gone you can't get a do-over,You need to clean your side of the street and maybe they will clean theirs
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by WhoWeBePart1 View Post
    ... I wanted to give him a quick call.

... (I said that I) know we don't talk to each other often and he said he would like that to change.

And that's how easy it can be. Time can do strange things, great things.

From the latin magnus + animus, or "great soul":
    Quote Originally Posted by Oxford English Dictionary

def. magnanimous or magnanimity

• adjective generous or forgiving, especially towards a rival or less powerful person.

— DERIVATIVES magnanimity noun magnanimously adverb.

— ORIGIN from Latin magnus ‘great’ + animus ‘soul’.

Kudos on the improvements.

One suggestion you might consider, once it's all said and done: teach your daughter the whole history of it, barbs and all. The lesson of love, responsibility and small miracles will do her good.

My thoughts are with you and yours, as you work through it all.

At my request the other thread has been locked but it will not be removed. Maybe someone else can learn from it that has a similar situation.
    Here is the link to the other thread: To Forgive my Father or Not.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Thanks for the update and the good news.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

DM2
    Your update is great news. Congratulations on doing what was right even if it didn't feel like the right thing to do initially.

In honor of your decision, please accept the encouragement of a slight modification of my signature line:

You did the thing you dreaded the most. Now cheer and take a bow. Now there you stand, a stronger and lighter soul, and all you lost was the consuming power of hatred that burdened and weighed you down. Whatever the future holds, hold your head high knowing that you stepped up when it meant the most. Good luck to you my friend.
    DM2
    "I did the thing I feared the most. Excuse me while I cheer. Now here I stand a stronger soul and all I lost was fear." ...Anonymous

VIP Member
    Glad you were able to do it and that it went as well as it possibly could have gone.

Best wishes to both of you as you both try to move forward from here.

It is important that your daughter at least meet your father, so try to make that family reunion.

VIP Member
    He says, hey Kevin how are you doing. I told him I wanted to give him a quick call to see how he was doing and that I know we don't talk to each other often and he said he would like that to change. That made me feel good and I told him we will discuss that further after he gets out of the hospital.

He did remember my birthday is coming up at the end of the month. I will be 40 on the 29th but he also said don't be surprised if you don't hear from me. I'm used to that and didn't go on about it.

He asked how my daughter was and how old she is now. She is 11 and he has never met her. He has only seen pictures of her once. She is his only granddaughter.

He did mention that the family is planning a reunion in August in Upstate NY where he grew up. So we shall see what happens with that. I would like to go if I can. Not that far of a drive from Maine.

You've got some good things going that you and he can work together on. Good luck and be patient with each other.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Congrats to you young man!!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    You will be better for this! Regardless of what happens in the future you can feel good that you made the effort. No guilt from here on out. I hope it works out for you and your dad and you get to know him and maybe forgive him for the past. It will help the both of you. Congrats!
    ^^^^YEP^^^for sure^^^

Quote Originally Posted by DM2 View Post
    Your update is great news. Congratulations on doing what was right even if it didn't feel like the right thing to do initially.

In honor of your decision, please accept the encouragement of a slight modification of my signature line:

You did the thing you dreaded the most. Now cheer and take a bow. Now there you stand, a stronger and lighter soul, and all you lost was the consuming power of hatred that burdened and weighed you down. Whatever the future holds, hold your head high knowing that you stepped up when it meant the most. Good luck to you my friend.
    ^^^^^This is great Stuff^^^^^

And Bark'n Is right on target as always.

Congratulations on the beginning of a possible reunion with him, and to see his grandaughter for the first time
    My fatherinlaw was a very difficult individual to get along with,(my wifes parents divorced in the early '80's. he remarried,had more children, and time has refined him somewhat, from the loudmouth, brazen person he was for all those years. He is now in his '70's and is infinitely more mellow.
    Maybe when he see's your daughter he will realize the time wasted, and become a more reserved individual. Its remarkable how time seems to mellow most, as they begin to realize how little time they have left
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links