An update just because you people have been so great. I called my father.

An update just because you people have been so great. I called my father.

This is a discussion on An update just because you people have been so great. I called my father. within the Bob & Terry's Place forums, part of the The Back Porch category; His surgery went well and he will be in the hospital for the next 5 days. I wanted to lighten the mood so when he ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Smile An update just because you people have been so great. I called my father.

His surgery went well and he will be in the hospital for the next 5 days.

I wanted to lighten the mood so when he answered I said "How ya doing ugly" and he said he was doing well. I told him Michele had called me, my sister and I wanted to give him a quick call.

I knew he didn't recognize my voice so I asked him if he knew who this was. He starts rambling off names and I keep saying nope. He knows a lot of people. So after six wrong guess I finally tell him it's your son.

He says, hey Kevin how are you doing. I told him I wanted to give him a quick call to see how he was doing and that I know we don't talk to each other often and he said he would like that to change. That made me feel good and I told him we will discuss that further after he gets out of the hospital.

He did remember my birthday is coming up at the end of the month. I will be 40 on the 29th but he also said don't be surprised if you don't hear from me. I'm used to that and didn't go on about it.

He asked how my daughter was and how old she is now. She is 11 and he has never met her. He has only seen pictures of her once. She is his only granddaughter.

He did mention that the family is planning a reunion in August in Upstate NY where he grew up. So we shall see what happens with that. I would like to go if I can. Not that far of a drive from Maine.

Thank you all for your support and advice. After two days of intense thinking about it I'm glad I made the call. I do feel better and plan to talk to my father again.

Thanks everyone.

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    Good

wonderful.

Outstanding!

You took a big step there buddy. No one is expecting any miracles, least of all, you. But I think you're the better man for what you did and I commend you for taking that step.

I wish you all the luck in the future.

I think it's safe to assume that you had at least had some weight lifted from your chest and you seem pleasantly surprised at how it went.

-Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

There are only two things that you can take to Heaven with you...

family and friends.

Both are important.

Glad to hear that it went well. Time can heal old wounds...if you are man enough to let it.

Administrator
    That was a mighty large & tough move that you made.
    You should give yourself a good "well earned" pat on the back.

As humans we should try hard to never lose our humanity.
    Then we become soulless, empty shells.
    I should try to remember that myself because after everything that I have seen & lived and been through I've become ever increasingly more desensitized and jaded.

Distinguished Member
    Yo dude. You bout the man and don't that feel good?

Details don't matter, and I know that they really do. Hells bells...I guess I can't even express it. You've done well.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

+1 on that post QKShooter
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post

I think it's safe to assume that you had at least had some weight lifted from your chest and you seem pleasantly surprised at how it went.
    Yes, I do feel a lot better. Even shed a little tear but it is you people that helped give me the courage to make that call and I thank everyone one of you again.

Quote Originally Posted by WhoWeBePart1 View Post
    Yes, I do feel a lot better. Even shed a little tear but it is you people that helped give me the courage to make that call and I thank everyone one of you again.
    Hey man... I ain't gonna lie. I got a little misty just reading your post here.

I was a little concerned when I read your initial thread. You have had a heavy burden you have carried for a long time. I did not question your anger and resentment. No doubt about it, it is probably well deserved. But I got the feeling it has been starting to wear you down. The more you can let go of, the easier your life will become.

I don't expect you two to reconcile and become best buds. I mean that is a stretch. But then again, you never know, eh?

The bottom line is this. Don't let the bitterness effect you to a point where it wears you down and consumes your spirit.

Again, I'm glad it turned out good. Not saying great... but it turned out good!

If you get no other good from this forum than the help you needed to make that call and help you lose some of that burden then it was worth it.

But personally, I'm glad you're a member here and hope you are with us for a long time to come.

I tell everyone, we talk about killing people and death on this forum. We discuss a gruesome and ugly topic. That of employing extreme violence in the most desperate of moments and possibly taking another persons life. Carrying a firearm and being willing to use it and take another persons life is about as serious as serious gets and this forum, right here, is without question the best gun forum on the internet. The people here are some of the best people I have ever met and glad to call friends.

Whatever brought you here, I'm genuinely glad you found us.

Stay safe brother!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

Administrator
    That's awesome.
    "Just blame Sixto"

At my request the other thread has been locked but it will not be removed. Maybe someone else can learn from it that has a similar situation.

Bark'n I plan on sticking around. I've been on a lot of different forums over the years. I'm old school when it comes to computers but this forum simply rocks and I'm glad I found it but I can thank Google for that.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    That was a mighty large & tough move that you made.
    You should give yourself a good "well earned" pat on the back.

As humans we should try hard to never lose our humanity.
    Then we become soulless, empty shells.
    I should try to remember that myself because after everything that I have seen & lived and been through I've become ever increasingly more desensitized and jaded.
    Yep

Z
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Absolutely wonderful news!
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

Distinguished Member
    Good stuff, thanks for posting.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links